Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 dogs and 2 cats in a kennel, or pay someone to come to the house?

• 07-02-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I wanted to go on a family holiday in August and we have 2 dogs and 2 cats.
    What would be the best and cheapest option for us?

Pay someone to come to the house? or pay a boarding kennel?

I don;t know many people in Ireland so the person coming to our house has to be reliable, so how do you find this out?
    I read too many stories of your pets being stolen, so I am not sure what to do here.
    I am already resenting the idea of a vacation :(

Can anyone suggest someone who is reliable enough to come to the house? It;s in Leixlip Kildare
    Or any good boarding kennel?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

PM'd you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

http://www.crittercapers.biz/?page_id=93

Moya has worked as a dog walker and Pet sitter since 2006, fully insured and has a huge love of dogs. I have to admit her website is awful but she is great at her job :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

She has a facebook page too! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I prefer the kennel option than letting someone come to the house - I guess it's because I trust the kennels my eldest has been going to them for 15 yrs and they kennel all my dogs together at a reasonable price - it's peace of mind for me coupled with that the dogs love them - and if anything were to happen to them - illness etc - they have a very good vet they use. Saying that I've never had a dog sitter - and I've used a kennel the dogs didn't enjoy only once thankfully for only one night.

Just research the kennels - call into them - you'll get more of a feeling for the level of care before you head away - I would even suggest leaving the animals in for a one night test run before you go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If you dont know many people this could be tricky.
    I guess you will have to check out the kennels near you. You have plenty of time, so I would make a list of what is in your area, give them all a call to get an idea of their prices - for the 'package' deal of x4 pets - and then visit them to see what their set up is.

I would visit now, rather than leaving it too late, from the point of view that the popular/good places will be booked well in advance in August.

There is a new kennel/cattery opened up just a couple of miles from my house. I was so thrilled when I heard. I went up there to check it out. I wouldnt give them any of my pets to take care of - the place was ok/good, but the attitude of the owner REALLY put me off - I was so glad I checked well in advance.

I have a woman petsitter, whose family I know. She needs the cash. She comes to my house twice a day. Walks the dogs twice/day, feeds them in the evening. Feeds/checks on the hens. Puts on lights/radio in the eve for the dogs, and leaves them in the house (in the summer if its nice she leaves them in the secure garden for a few hours). I pay her what the kennels would charge me for the two dogs (3rd & outside dog (passed away since) and hens included in that price). It really works for me because I have 1 elderly dog, and 1 very nervous dog neither of which would be good kennel types. (I did have a v.good kennel but they 'retired' a long time ago)

Since you are looking for someone in Leixlip, could you get a college (Maynooth) student or a senior from secondary school, who would be glad of the money to come and do your animals twice/day - walk & feed them? You would have to advertise & interview them & would have time to have them come get to know your animals a few times before August.
    You could ask at your vet for any recommendations.

Having pets is a pain when it comes to holidays/going away - I never stop worrying about them all when we are away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

If you are looking for something a bit better than a kennels this place looks promising, but it is in kilkenny so bit of a drive from leixlip,

http://www.happypawshotel.ie/index.asp

I don`t know if there are any high quality dog hotels nearer to Dublin, maybe with a bit more google-ing than I did you will find one.

There is definitely a market for it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you go into a few of your local vets, I'm sure you'll see some cards for local dog sitters. Pets are happiest in their homes....

+1 Moya, she is very very good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

about 100 euro a week per animal in a kennel

Advertisement