Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet advice for Running & strength training

Options
  • 07-02-2014 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I recently quit smoking and I am now substituting it with strength training and some running (which I am loving) with my main goal of being able to run a marathon for charity.

I have the training part down. Now I need someone to point me in the right direction as far a Diet and Diet suppliments are concerned. I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help point me in the right direction on this.

Anything I have looked up so far is all about weight loss, which I don't want. I have no weight to loose. I just want to be able to give my body the nutritents that it requires to keep healthy and strong. Any help at all would greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,608 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How much runnign do you do during a week?

To start, make sure you're getting calcium, magnesium, potassium and silicon into you. They'll help with bones and connective tissue.

You can get them from food so its not necessary to go wasting your money on supplements.

Make sure to hydrate plenty.

Might be useful to put up what you'd eat on an average day you go for a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lunhara

I eat all the wrong foods. I have an extremely sweet tooth so I usually end up going for the sugary option. This is what I want to try change. Even a sample meal plan would help alot. I am really new and apparently clueless when it comes to nutrition :)

Put up what yo do eat...it will help so what needs to be tweaked, reduced or substituted

For Example Yesterday:
    7.00am toast and tea
    9.30am Breakfast roll and bottle of water
    13.00pm Tuna salad with dressing and D. Coke
    16.oopm Chocolate ricekrispie square x2
    21.30pm Chips and sausage

I know my diet is a heart attack waiting to happen. thats why i need help with it.

Have a read of the Nutrition stickies.

It gives a really good overview on what you should be eating. It's not about weight loss in there because everyone has different nutritional needs.

But you're not getting protein in there to help with your recovery.

I'd also suggest you familiarise yourself with MyFitnessPal so you can see how much you're getting into you.

But it looks like you eat little meat and veg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Lunhara wrote: »
    I recently quit smoking and I am now substituting it with strength training and some running (which I am loving) with my main goal of being able to run a marathon for charity.

I have the training part down. Now I need someone to point me in the right direction as far a Diet and Diet suppliments are concerned. I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help point me in the right direction on this.

Anything I have looked up so far is all about weight loss, which I don't want. I have no weight to loose. I just want to be able to give my body the nutritents that it requires to keep healthy and strong. Any help at all would greatly appreciated
    Hi, well done on quitting the smokes. I run about 35 miles a week and did the DCM marathon last year. I do not have the perfect diet Im afraid so will follow this with interest. Foods that work for me are porridge for breakfast, 2 eggs and toast for lunch, lean meat with veg , pasta/rice / potatoes, bananas, yoghurt ,and bagels with cheese for snacks. I still eat chocolate etc but trying to cut down, not for losing weight but just cause I think I should. As you increase your mileage make sure you are eating enough especially before your LSR.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Hi, well done on quitting the smokes. I run about 35 miles a week and did the DCM marathon last year. I do not have the perfect diet Im afraid so will follow this with interest. Foods that work for me are porridge for breakfast, 2 eggs and toast for lunch, lean meat with veg , pasta/rice / potatoes, bananas, yoghurt ,and bagels with cheese for snacks. I still eat chocolate etc but trying to cut down, not for losing weight but just cause I think I should. As you increase your mileage make sure you are eating enough especially before your LSR.

Thanks a million :) 77 days and counting and almost 800euro saved!!
    I think my biggest problem is that im just to lazy to cook meals from scratch. Especially in the morning. Not a morning person at all so I crawl out of bed last minute leaving no time for breakfast. My sweet tooth makes it really difficult not to snack on sweets and chocolate during the day and my biggest down fall is diet coke, not enough water.
    Next thing is though what's LSR? I may not have mentioned im new and totally clueless about all this :)

If you re not into cooking try cooking big batches together and freezing like curry, spag bol etc. Regarding breakfast I cant advise because if I couldn't have breakfast I would refuse to get up! LSR stands for long slow run, this is your longest run of the week and ran slower to get you use to time on your feet. How many miles are you running at the moment? Build up slowly. Take a look at Athletics and Running board lots of advice there.

At the moment im mostly strength training and because im so unfit my body aches like hell and I havent had a run in two weeks. All that is changing. My muscles are no longer in shock so hoping to start back tomorrow. I was doing 9km a week (a warm up compared to you lol) so it will be interesting to see how the 2wks not running affected me.
    Ill definitely check out those boards.

We all started some place. If you enjoy running stick at it, you will improve very quickly if you run regularly. Don't worry about pace. What strength training are you doing? I say try to change the diet slowly, make time for breakfast first and cut down on the crap and see how you go.

• Advertisement

Well rome wasnt built in a day :)

The strength training im doing is all designed to use your own body weight as resistance. The guy im training with has created a programme to help me strengthen my legs, core mostly for running. But hes done it in a way that its a cardio work out in itself as well. Im really loving it but I cant wait to get running again.
    I just really want to improve my eating habits to really feel the benefit of it all :)

Advertisement