Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crushed Toffee Pie Crust

Options
  • 06-02-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I have a question for you all! Could you make a pie crust out of crushed toffee? Chocolate cream pie to be exact! I know spun sugar goes funny with moisture..would crushed toffee do the same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Glendalyn wrote: »
    I have a question for you all! Could you make a pie crust out of crushed toffee? Chocolate cream pie to be exact! I know spun sugar goes funny with moisture..would crushed toffee do the same?

No, I don't think it will work. the toffee will absorb moisture from both the air and from the filling of the pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

What about a standard chocolate digestive crumb base with a couple of crumbled dime bars mixed in? I haven't made one but I think you'd (probably!) end up with a toffee-chip chocolate base.

Another thought; if you're worried about moisture leeching through could you brush the base with a thin layer of melted chocolate to seal it?:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Split from Cooking Chat thread in C&R.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Glendalyn

B0jangles wrote: »
    What about a standard chocolate digestive crumb base with a couple of crumbled dime bars mixed in? I haven't made one but I think you'd (probably!) end up with a toffee-chip chocolate base.

Another thought; if you're worried about moisture leeching through could you brush the base with a thin layer of melted chocolate to seal it?:

That sounds lovely but Im trying to do gluten free. Tho brushing/sealing it with choc is a good idea!

Advertisement