Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole Mortgage Application

Options
  • 07-02-2014 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi just looking for some advice please.

My partner and I are together 5 years (unmarried) with 2 children. We are currently renting and would like to purchase a home in the near future. The problem however, is that I am currently unemployed with a less than desirable credit history (accrued in the last year due to said unemployment). My partner however, is employed, has an excellent history with the bank, squeaky clean credit and 50K in savings.

As we have children, is it still possible for him to apply as a single applicant? Would they need to look at my situation, credit history etc?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Your partner can apply for a mortgage in his sole name only. Lender will look for evidence of rent paid so he needs to be showing payment going out of his bank account. Lender will also look for evidence of regular savings over last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 alleygirl

lainypips wrote: »
    Hi just looking for some advice please.

My partner and I are together 5 years (unmarried) with 2 children. We are currently renting and would like to purchase a home in the near future. The problem however, is that I am currently unemployed with a less than desirable credit history (accrued in the last year due to said unemployment). My partner however, is employed, has an excellent history with the bank, squeaky clean credit and 50K in savings.

As we have children, is it still possible for him to apply as a single applicant? Would they need to look at my situation, credit history etc?

Many thanks!

Try ulster bank we got a mortgage with them last month similar situation as yourself. Found them excellent to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

Sorry to cut in the thread but would you be able to do the same (apply on your own) if you are married? Similar situation but married.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

Would a person be able to apply for a mortgage on their name sole if they are married? Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 alleygirl

Would a person be able to apply for a mortgage on their name sole if they are married? Does anyone know?

I don't think so but we got it as a joint application

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

In general all banks insist on a married couple buying a family home applying jointly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Once married the mortgage must be in joint names.

Advertisement