Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool -v- Arsenal [12.45pm BT Sport]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

There was a stage when it was still 1-0 to Arsenal Liverpool were awarded a free kick out in the wing took it quick and scored which would have made it 1-1 but the ref called it back

You've conveniently missed the part where the entire Arsenal defence stopped because the ref had called it back. No guarantee of a goal there at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

There was a stage when it was still 1-0 to Arsenal Liverpool were awarded a free kick out in the wing took it quick and scored which would have made it 1-1 but the ref called it back

None of the Arsenal players contested the ball, so dont think it would have ended up in the back of the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Henderson was one on one with the keeper when the ref blew the whistle to call it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Be an interesting game. Suarez didnt get a sniff last time so if Arsenal can keep him quiet they will win. Sturrige to an extent. Wouldnt fancy anyone else to score for Liverpool really.

Liverpool will have to try and cope with Arsenals midfield whcih I dont think they will be able. Liverpools defence is dodgy putting it nicely.

Weighing it all up im goin for an arsenal win.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

If Gibbs plays, Arsenal win. If he doesn't, we won't.

Sterling (who has been playing quite well recently) will smash Monreal for pace.

Apart from what I've said above, if we play like we can, we WILL WIN but if we sit back.....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

5starpool wrote: »
    I think he is referring to teams above them at the time of playing that team. I bet Arsenal have beaten very few above them as well apart from at the start of the season due to them losing to Villa at home.

It is a stupid thing to say though for any team who has been near the top of the table the whole season. I don't think it is in any way relevant to the game tomorrow. The fact that Liverpool have a bad record against Arsenal is more relevant however. I wouldn't take a draw if magically offered it now, although it would certainly not be a bad result. I'm hoping that Liverpool can have a spring in their step, in the same way they have had in most home games this season (Villa and Southampton being the notable exceptions), but Arsenal are a team that can hurt Liverpool, no doubt about that. No result would shock me tomorrow (except a thumping win for either side). Hopefully it'll be a very entertaining game anyhow, although entertainment for me is usually measured by my team winning :)

You could turn that around and say that Arsenal have yet to lose to a team above them this season as the season starts with the table alphebetically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Dickerty wrote: »
    Not arguing about better or worse, but I think Flamini is better at disrupting a team's attack...

Which assumes Liverpool will be dominant in possession. I don't think that will be the case and Arteta in that respect is custom made for this kind of match. He's as close as you'll get in the modern game to Guardiola's playing days @ Barcelona. Vintage pivoté.
    Henderson was one on one with the keeper when the ref blew the whistle to call it back

But the ref blew... so your point is moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

cson wrote: »
    Which assumes Liverpool will be dominant in possession. I don't think that will be the case and Arteta in that respect is custom made for this kind of match. He's as close as you'll get in the modern game to Guardiola's playing days @ Barcelona. Vintage pivoté.

But the ref blew... so your point is moot.

In fairness that was his point that the ref was harsh on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

ronjo wrote: »
    In fairness that was his point that the ref was harsh on them.

You win some, you lose some.

*waits for big reffing decision to go against Arsenal tomorrow and not having a leg to stand on*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Need an Arsenal win to keep the pressure on the nouveau riche. A draw is probably going to happen and draws are the new defeats these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

1 -- 3 to the Gunners. I feel it in my water.
    Giroud for first goal :D:D

I'm going to be very hungover/tired by the time the match starts, Wenger better not **** me over. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Had a dream this finished 3-3, we were down 3-0 at one point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Had a dream this finished 3-3, we were down 3-0 at one point!

Quite possible the way we're playing. Dunno if the heart could take it tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Hoping for a good game if nothing else. I know both teams have injuries but Liverpools backline is as poor as it has been in a long time. Arsenal to win by two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

Dickerty wrote: »
    Not arguing about better or worse, but I think Flamini is better at disrupting a team's attack...
    Against midfields with a bit of pace maybe but Arteta should do just fine against the Liverpool midfield.

I'm hoping Rodgers learned lessons from the return fixture.

Midfield was overrun by Arsenal's that game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

This a must win for Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

This a must win for Liverpool

Why? A draw and they'll still be 4th for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I just think you have to win all your home games. I want us to be a force at anfield and go for it. 3 points would be better for us and really put the cat amongst the pigeons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I reckon Liverpool will be happier with a draw than arsenal would be.

Anyway I'm getting a little nervous, I think pool might win this one :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I would definitely take a draw here. Missing Lucas, our left back and our right back not to mention Agger and Sakho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

1-1

Sturrige and Cazorla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

FearDark wrote: »
    1-1

Sturrige and Cazorla.

I backed 1-1 at 13/2 myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,662 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Blind optimism but i think pool will take 3 pts from this one
    Crowd and team should really be up for it today
    3-1 prediction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Has the potential to be a great attacking game. 11-10 to Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Think it'll end up 2-1 or 1-2.

That's about as decisive as I can be, which isn't very

Big test for arsenal today. They have only played one of the top 6 away from home and they were hammered. All the pressure is on Arsenal today to prove being top isn't a false position.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Big test for arsenal today. They have only played one of the top 6 away from home and they were hammered. All the pressure is on Arsenal today to prove being top isn't a false position.

Never sure if you're on a windup.

The table doesn't lie. In the last 24 games, we have won more points, so we're top. Literally nothing, not one thing, other than that fact comes into it.

Never sure if you're on a windup.

The table doesn't lie. In the last 24 games, we have won more points, so we're top. Literally nothing, not one thing, other than that fact comes into it.

Table at the end the season doesn't lie. Would you not agree arsenal have some real tough games coming up playing 4 of the top 6 away from home.

• Advertisement

Table at the end the season doesn't lie. Would you not agree arsenal have some real tough games coming up playing 4 of the top 6 away from home.

What does that have to do with them being the best team so far?

They might not be top at the end of the year. They are top now. They are top if you look at the last 38 games too, and by a long way. They have been the best, most consistent team in the PL for over a year. They may not win the league, but that statement is true now. That isn't a lie, it's the truth, and it's obvious.

What does that have to do with them being the best team so far?

They might not be top at the end of the year. They are top now. They are top if you look at the last 38 games too, and by a long way. They have been the best, most consistent team in the PL for over a year. They may not win the league, but that statement is true now. That isn't a lie, it's the truth, and it's obvious.

Liverpool were top at Christmas but I don't think they were the best team in the league at the time. If they are top Thursday morning I'll agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

At the moment we have the better defense and midfield. Liverpool without question have the better attacking options.

What has impressed me about Arsenal this season is the ability to just do enough to win games and not over extend ourselves when we go one or two up like we have in previous seasons leaving ourselves open to attack and drawing or losing those games. We may not be winning games by cricket scores like Man City but we are winning games.

I think the key to this game is who goes in front first. If Arsenal get the first goal then I reckon we will take 3 points, if Liverpool do then they will get a draw at the very least.

Even-though we have some tough games coming up I still find it interesting that people are writing us off despite leading the league with 14 games to go. I think us being underdogs is actually helping the team mentally and certainly is putting all the pressure on City.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I'm going 3-1 Liverpool.

Liverpool were top at Christmas but I don't think they were the best team in the league at the time. If they are top Thursday morning I'll agree with you.

We've been top with only very brief breaks since near the very beginning. I don't see how you can argue that it's a "false position", which is exactly what you said.

We've been top with only very brief breaks since near the very beginning. I don't see how you can argue that it's a "false position", which is exactly what you said.

It's false because I don't think arsenal are the best team in the league. They have a chance to prove me wrong this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

sure no one has a clue what will happen!

in saying that 6-0 liverpool:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Liverpool will definitely concede, whether its more then they score is anyones guess:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

It is a big ask for Liverpool to get the win against Arsenal today. I am going for 2-1 to Arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

can't see anything but a enormous scoring draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Prediction 2-1 win for LFC!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Arsenal's League positions after every game week this year:

9 4 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 2 1

Pretty consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

It's false because I don't think arsenal are the best team in the league. They have a chance to prove me wrong this week.

While imo City in particular have better players, Arsenal are top on merit and can't be compared to Liverpool being top for a couple of days over Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Pretty consistent.

Thats only 23 games week there has been 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

sawfish wrote: »
    Thats only 23 games week there has been 24.

Il stick in another 1 there so!

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Early kick offs are generally poor enough atmosphere unfortunately.

Liverpool need to start well. An early goal(for Liverpool) would crank up the noise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

to think its not relevant that arsenal still need to face 4 of the top 6 all away is beyond naive

Pretty consistent.

I can't find stats like that but didn't Liverpool have 10 points after 4 games and arsenal had 9 but you have them top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Ideal scenario:

Liverpool, worried about losing fourth place will lose today to Arsenal, who are determined to keep their place at the top of the league.

As expected Man United will beat Fulham on Sunday, and Fulham will host Liverpool at craven cottage in midweek, desperate for a win.

Fulham may sneak a draw or get that vital win.

United will beat Arsenal midweek, as that`s what usually happens.

All of a sudden, United are only one or two points behind Liverpool!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement