Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italian side scores 8 own goals - FA to investigate

• 07-02-2014 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

I'm shocked frankly. ;)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/07/italy-borgata-bagheria-eight-own-goals

Okay its low level regional cup stuff but still, you'd think they'd be a bit more subtle.
    Italian football has been hit by another possible scandal, this time involving a team that scored eight own goals in the last 10 minutes of a regional cup match on their way to a 14-3 defeat.

The Italian federation is set to launch an investigation into the Coppa Sicilia match between Borgata Terrenove and Bagheria, the final game in a three-team group which also featured Partinicaudace.

All three sides play in Prima Categoria, the eighth tier of the league.

Bagheria, needing a point to qualify, were 4-3 behind with 10 minutes to play in Wednesday's game when Borgata hit two goals in quick succession.

Borgata players then watched in bewilderment as their opponents scored one own goal after the other, shared between three players, Italian media said.

Maybe its a protest or the next match was on the same day as a social event.

Or maybe loads of money changed hands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Surely if it was fixed they would have been a lot more subtle than 8 own goals! My money is on a player protest of some sort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Yeah definitely sounds more like a protest of some sort.

If you wanted to fix a game for financial gain you'd hardly score 8 own goals. Surely the probability of that naturally happening would be as near zero as makes no odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Protest at the lack of match fixing opportunities available to them in contrast with other Italian teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The Italian federation is set to launch an investigation into the Coppa Sicilia match between Borgata Terrenove and Bagheria, the final game in a three-team group which also featured Partinicaudace.
    Match fixing in Sicily? Well I never thought I would see the day :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

When you think of own goals you think of the ball deflecting off a defender and into the net, but I suspect in this case it was more the defenders actually turning and shooting towards their own goals. It would have to be, I don't think its even physically possible to score 8 own goals in ten minutes otherwise.

If so, then its clearly not a match fixing thing, far too blatant for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Whats it got to do with the FA?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

iDave wrote: »
    Whats it got to do with the FA?

The Italian FA obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

5starpool wrote: »
    The Italian FA obviously.

[PEDANTIC]

Saying the FA refers specifically to the English FA

[/PEDANTIC]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

They seem to be doing what I did whenever I was losing in a game of FIFA and got bored. Can't wait for next week when the goalkeeper is repeatedly slide tackled.

Advertisement