Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Dunne has passed

Options
  • 07-02-2014 3:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Well known Dubliner Mary Dunne,better known as the woman who danced in O'Connell St has died.

RIP another True Dublin Character.

292780.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

RIP

She was a lovely, eccentric and charming character. Often got a nice little smile when passing.

The scenery of Dublin has lost a true blossom.

A few links as a sort of tribute:
    http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/others/the-dancing-woman-of-oconnell-street-has-fallen-very-ill-84815897-238019111.html
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64814519

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hmmm, I have different memories of her. I went to school in town, so I came across her a lot. When I saw her on O'Connell St waving her rosary beads about, I thought she was a harmless aul divil. But then she showed up at the funeral of several nuns from my school, who died in a fire. As the coffins were being loaded into the hearses, she began hurling abuse at the school girls & the families of the deceased, for all having had abortions & that we'd all burn in hell etc etc. The Guards had to drag her away when she tried to rip the floral arrangements off the hearses. I wouldn't want to judge someone who may have had underlying reasons for her eccentricity. It was just very upsetting if you were there at the time, especially as a lot of the people there, had already been through a terrible, terrible trauma. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I suppose there has always been a dark side to many of the Dublin eccentrics and characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

She wouldn't have been the first to show up loaded at a clerical funeral. Amd being nuts as the psychiatric profession terms it qualifies as mitigating circumstances.

RIP ... and give my best to Bang Bang and Zozimus.

• Advertisement

May Johhnie Fortycoats lend you a jacket and may you play dice with the man,Thom Ginty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was with a GF waiting to cross O'Connell St into North Earl St, whilst waiting I kissed my GF and 'Mad Mary Dunne' hit us both.. I'd never too much time for her after that, and I never missed her ('nor ever will).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PadelCreekMan

I hope you'll forgive Mary if she said or did anything to upset you. She obviously was tuned into a different station than most of us. While on the topic of Dublin Characters, does anyone know what became of the poncho wearing guy who stood reading a book every night in Frenchmans Lane all through the 80s?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I remember her well from so many years ago, she started off with pictures of Our Lady and fresh flowers each day, reciting prayers and the rosary and engaging with anyone willing to listen, I think she sang as well if I remember correctly.
    Then when I noticed her again and the flowers and pictures were gone and she was just moving around waving her arms.
    I remember someone telling me thatthey knew her family and that she was married and had children.
    May she rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

RIP to Mary. A true Dublin character.

She joins The Diceman, Matt The Jap and Bang Bang in the great street in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

She was a regular at the Church in Kill O' The Grange when I was growing up. Each Sunday I hoped she would show up and impart her words of wisdom on the congregation. I have to say there was an element of fear surrounding her for me. I was very young and she was this 'strange' lady who would sing and dance in the Aisles of the church. My memory is that the priests in the Parish would just let her sing and dance and would continue on with the Mass anyway.

May she rest in Peace wherever she may be. Hopefully she's continuing to sing and dance!!

JupiterKid wrote: »
    RIP to Mary. A true Dublin character.

She joins The Diceman, Matt The Jap and Bang Bang in the great street in the sky.

Mat the jap was a pervert and a vandal.

He was banned from the library in Trinity for ripping pages out of books and sexually harassing students.

Advertisement