Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outbound links question

Options
  • 07-02-2014 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

On one of our sites we have a large number of customer logos.. Like, BMW, Nike, Coca-Cola, Bvlgari, Gucci, Mirosoft, Google, Vodafone, Mercedes Benz, AMG and so on ........ad nauseum.

Currently they are just images, would there be any advantage in SEO terms to us to hyperlink them to the brand owners sites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

The 'theory' would be that they can help as you are offering a further resource to the end use. Naturally nobody for the Big House has tipped the hat in either direction but the argument could be valid as you site becomes a little more "authoritative".

But link out where you feel the punters might benefit

On a broader note; when you're linking out do it this way [Bulgari example]

<a href="http://www.bulgari.com/&quot; target="_blank">Bulgari Website</a>

It means that the link opens in a new page so the visitor still remains on your site and is not whisked away by the browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Very interesting and thanks for the tip on new page opening of link, one of our customer logos is Manchester United FC!!! :-)

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's a lot of pros and cons on this. A good deal more cons in my experience, but also plenty of scenarios where it's better with no black and white right answer in many circumstances. Have search around with terms like 'opening links in new tab good or bad' for a variety of discussion of the pros and cons. Choose wisely.

OK will do the homework on that. what about the concept of the outward links to these huge global brands?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Depends on the link context graph. Websites tend to have a kind of social network for links and what you generally see (this is based on link analysis for a few hundred thousand Irish websites each month) is a mix of friends/family links along with authority site links. Authority sites are surprisingly self-centred in that they rarely have outbound links at the top level to sites other than their group owned sites. The important metrics would be whether the outbound links are in-context for the site (ie the site is about such products or is selling products) and the number of outbounds on the same page (a possible linkfarm indication). Google has a few smart people working for it and they may eventually figure out the concept and how to integrate it as an algorithmic update.

If you have an odd set of outbound links to strange websites that are conceptually unrelated to your website theme/topic then it could be considered an indication that your website has been compromised - especially if you are using Wordpress or Joomla.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Thanks, Just as well I checked on here. Of course we have no connection to these brands other than they are past or present customers.The theme of the main page is "You are in Good Company" and a bunch of household favourite brand logos are to view to back up the notion.

Looking at it from Googles perspective, I can now see how it would look like a bunch of random links to Authoritative domains, Could generate serious slaps! The reasons for the validity of their inclusion is far to opaque to Google and other bots!

Is it even safe to add alt text to the images using their Brands?

Back to the drawing board

Cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

I think the linking out to past/current customers would be perfectly valid and is used across the 'net. I think that we've become anally retentive as regards do's dont's - its about the end user at the end of the day and all the search companies cant argue with that.

Peter, you have every reason to link to these past customers. However, from a users experience (and a chest thumping exercise!!) You could showcase the items you manufactured for them. Photo, description, a client quote would be fantastic, a link to the site.Makes the linking more valid and would give you and amazing showcase.

I be impressed with the client list, but more so to see the product.

As for the new page - if its an addendum, an 'aside' or some supplementary information - then it's perfectly acceptable.

The images are on the home page and there are many of them. From what I have learned here and elsewhere, a bunch of links to such brands could cause severe slaps from Google. As an eCommerce seller, Google rankings are absolutely vital, along with adword positions. Big brands care less, as they will be searched by their brand and will always be readily found.

I will look at making the image change to a photo of our product sold to them when cursor hovered over their logo ( Idea inspired by IRE60, Thanks!) We deal with the brands through agencies, so never have direct contact with their people. Big brands generally do give testimonials, sadly. Having them at all is as good as it gets. Images are already alt text brand name.

thanks

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 3 perfectring

On one of our sites we have a large number of customer logos.. Like, BMW, Nike, Coca-Cola, Bvlgari, Gucci, Mirosoft, Google, Vodafone, Mercedes Benz, AMG and so on ........ad nauseum.

Currently they are just images, would there be any advantage in SEO terms to us to hyperlink them to the brand owners sites?

I agree with Blue4ever on the link but you might also consider adding a 'nofollow' to the links (as there are a number of them).
    This effectively gives a link to these websites but it does not impact your google ranking.
    An example would be:
    <a href="http://www.bulgari.com/&quot; target="_blank" rel='nofollow' >Bulgari Website</a>

A few years ago a number of links leaving your site would have been seen a bad by google - however, recent google updates would suggest if your site is adding value to the users by including these links, then it is a positive.
    Best way to view SEO is to ask the question - is this good for visitors to my website?
    Google is very clever and is able to identify a well written web page - the 'nofollow' is good practice for all external links on you website.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dgerryd

The hole meaning and point of a link (is just that it's a link) and if it benefits your readers for whatever reason and it's on topic there should be no issue and like perfectring said above nofollow it

• Advertisement

Point very well made guys, the fact that a brand is customer is the only relevant information that is of interest to my new site visitor. They might benefit from an internal link or "hover" to a photo/information of the actaul job we did for the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

A tooltip might work for you - some nice examples here:
    http://www.menucool.com/tooltip/javascript-tooltip

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dgerryd

Great little resource IRE60 cheers you see that's how links add value :)

Advertisement