Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian Income Tax

Options
  • 07-02-2014 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hey Guys

I moved over to Canada in May 2013 I have been working ever since. This is my first year filing my tax return and I am a bit confused. I have heard rumours that when you are in Canada in your first year and you are here for only part of the year which I was you are allowed to claim back most of your tax you have paid. I would be very grateful if someone could tell me if this is correct ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

I'm kind of in the same boat. From what I understand, it all depends on how much you earn. You will have been taxed assuming you were earning for 12 months. But since you only earned for 7 you should be able to get some back I believe. I've no idea how much!

If you use something like TurboTax or one of the other Tax programs it might tell you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

I was in the same situation last year. I arrived in June 2012.
    I got H&R block to filling in my tax forms as I hadnt a clue.
    I definitely did not get half the tax I paid back. I think I got $150 back (HR cost $90) and I think I qualified for the GST/HST credit (I think another $50).

They did ask me if I had been working in Ireland before I moved over and they took what I earned there in to consideration too. (The euro being stronger made out I had earned a lot of money when realistically I had been on a fairly average wage).

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Why should working in Ireland make any difference? You would have paid tax on that in Ireland... so in theory you were double taxed? Maybe they have rules on that but sounds a bit strange!

If you said you weren't working in Ireland would they know?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭hegarty147

Ms. Ka wrote: »
    I definitely did not get half the tax I paid back. I think I got $150 back (HR cost $90) and I think I qualified for the GST/HST credit (I think another $50).

They did ask me if I had been working in Ireland before I moved over and they took what I earned there in to consideration too. (The euro being stronger made out I had earned a lot of money when realistically I had been on a fairly average wage).

Ya I am really confused by that too. When I came here they gave me the tax forms and although I wouldnt be actually working for 183 in year as I didnt actually start my job till mid july I decided to become canadian tax resident for that reason. I thought that when you decided to become resident your previous income in Ireland didnt matter

This is from the CRA website

What income must you report?
    For the part of the tax year that you were NOT a resident of Canada

You pay Canadian income tax on Canadian source income.

You have to report the following amounts:

income from employment in Canada or from a business carried on in Canada;
    taxable capital gains from disposing of taxable Canadian property; and
    the taxable part of scholarships, bursaries, fellowships and research grants you received from Canadian sources.

• Advertisement

Well I wasnt taxed by Canada on my Irish income but they did ask if I had been working in Ireland and what I had earned there. I was surprised as I hadnt brought any of my Irish tax stuff with me as I didnt think I would need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tonyco

same here i got 2 grand back last year but i owe em this year 30 bucks i belive :cool:

Ms. Ka wrote: »

Hey was asked this same question in HR block ...had no idea and just made a guess. I had a rough idea what I got into my hand but no idea what the gross was. Kinda worried that this will make a difference if I am wrong will they double check.

I ball parked it for them and told them that it was my best guess and they were fine with it. I cant see why there should be any come back from it as the tax was in another country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Grumpus88

I arrived august 2012 and started working straight away. Just file the ruturns as normal in canada for the months worked and you will get tax back. For 5 months work I recieved around 450

Advertisement