Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Garth going to be cancelled?

Options
  • 07-02-2014 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hearing rumblings on Garth Brooks concerts being cancelled due to locals protests? Can this happen after Aiken have sold 400,000 tickets?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Doubt it loose too much money. Moaners will be ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭wishinonastar

Yea can see their points....huge fan myself so im hoping gigs go ahead. Business owners thrilled....saying it will be like 5 all Ireland sundays for them!! Always going to have moaners no matter what I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

LOSTfan57 wrote: »
    Moaners will be ignored

You obviously dont reside in the immediate Croke Park area. :rolleyes:

People dont protest simply for the fun of it or to be a kill joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

Yea can see their points....huge fan myself so im hoping gigs go ahead. Business owners thrilled....saying it will be like 5 all Ireland sundays for them!! Always going to have moaners no matter what I guess!

Perfectly entitled to complain ffs.

Practically under lockdown for 5 days in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

They will get their few quid and be fine about it.

Shame they never noticed the stadium when they bought their houses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

dreamers75 wrote: »

Shame the stadium broke their license by staging 5 concerts in a row rather than 3 in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,392 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

dreamers75 wrote: »

I can see both sides in terms of the concerts being cancelled, but this is a bit unfair.

I'm sure the vast majority were in their houses long before Croker was redeveloped into an 80,000 seater stadium with a regular (and increasing) concert line-up.

Can't say I'd fancy being in lock-down for the guts of a week - and that's just for GB, aren't there other concerts being planned for the summer as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Will the homeowners ever stop moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

yawhat! wrote: »
    Will the homeowners ever stop moaning.

Homeowner ??? :confused: It wont be a home for the duration of the concerts.....but a prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

If you're going to buy a house in the vicinity of an 82000 seater stadium, agreement or not, know the risks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    If you're going to buy a house in the vicinity of an 82000 seater stadium, agreement or not, know the risks!

A reasonable due diligence done by a buyer would have discovered allowance for three concerts a year. Three.

So far they are having to put up with five nights in a row.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Dietsquirt wrote: »

I say again, I'm guessing that 95% (or some other similarly and arbitrarily large figure, since no, I don't actually know for a fact) of houses were owned and lived in for a long time before the stadium was redeveloped.

Were they meant to be psychics or something?

A reasonable due diligence done by a buyer would have discovered allowance for three concerts a year. Three.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Stop been killjoys and just get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭colmufc

Shame the stadium broke their license by staging 5 concerts in a row rather than 3 in a year.

That's an old licence issue now It goes by planning permission and no more than 5 non sporting events in a 2 week period

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Wouldn't they get some compensation for these things? I thought those people were allocated tickets to the events that were disrupting them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

8 nights

One Direction doing 3 concert this year too

deise08 wrote: »
    Wouldn't they get some compensation for these things? I thought those people were allocated tickets to the events that were disrupting them?

If you're a country-muzak-hating middle-aged or elderly couple, then I can't see freebie tickets to One Direction and The Garth being any compensation whatsoever :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Fair point :)

Mr.S wrote: »
    Whats the difference between the concerts and match days?

There's a time curfew as well as a DB limit.

5 concerts in a row is quite a lot, but what exactly is the problem :confused:

Too many people walking by there houses I guess and a bit of litter. Complaning about nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭irishgeo

there was no concerts last year , is croke park trying to carry over the 3 licences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Says I To Bridey

How much householders are affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

If you are living by Croke Park, you were always going to be affected by big match days. And over the boom years, that grew rapidly. It is the biggest stadium in the country. HOWEVER to not be allowed in and out of your homes at your own free will or having your home blocked off by three deep parking outside their door. There needs to be compromise now that the tickets are sold (I cannot see for the life of me, ticketmaster refunding 2 nights sales) these people should have access to their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Forget the lockdown, the people, the litter, the urinating in gardens, Croker licence breaking, broken windows/vandalism etc..

Being forced to listen to Garth Brooks 5 days in a row!!! :eek: :eek: (POSSIBLY 6!)

Then 3 nights Of One Direction!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

The people going to Garth Brooks and One Direction are not going to be the worst crowds (could be Swedish House Mafia!!!), there should be little or no vandalism. But every lot has the one or two.

I rather 20 all-Irelands than to listen to that lot for that 1 day, let alone that many!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭afatbollix

They wont cancel any dates but could move a couple of dates to Phoenix park or some other location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If you're a country-muzak-hating middle-aged or elderly couple, then I can't see freebie tickets to One Direction and The Garth being any compensation whatsoever :rolleyes:

I don't have a horse in this race but do you know how much those tickets are worth?

syklops wrote: »
    I don't have a horse in this race but do you know how much those tickets are worth?
    What with him announcing a new concert every second day, an ever-decreasing amount I'd have thought (and hoped!) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What with him announcing a new concert every second day, an ever-decreasing amount I'd have thought (and hoped!) :D

Then you'd be quite wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    The people going to Garth Brooks and One Direction are not going to be the worst crowds (could be Swedish House Mafia!!!), there should be little or no vandalism. But every lot has the one or two.

My reading of the attendees is that One Direction will attract the Teeny & Weeny Boppers. Mix in with that a few dozen parents who will be there to mind their weenies.

Brooks will attract the 30 to 70 age group. Doubtful if that cohort will be drunk & peeing in peoples gardens.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Then you'd be quite wrong.
    Would I? I'll have to take your word for that.

But in any case, that value is a moveable feast depending entirely on demand and supply - I'm quite sure that the local residents who have zero interest in the concerts won't be given their couple of free tickets (the generosity of the promoters knows no bounds) until nearer the event, when their value may well be a lot less than in the first few days of hysteria following the launch of the events. Depending on the drip-release of tickets, their value may well be nil nearer the actual event.

If the promoters were that concerned, why not offer the residents a fixed monetary sum?

And anyway, I'm sure a few quid (or a few free tickets) wouldn't make up for the sheer hassle and inconvenience of the whole circus on your doorstep for five nights (with another three when the OD juggernaut rolls into town).

I thankfully don't live anywhere near Croke Park, but I feel awfully sorry for the people who do (who aren't avid GB fans).

Advertisement