Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Garth going to be cancelled?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My reading of the attendees is that One Direction will attract the Teeny & Weeny Boppers. Mix in with that a few dozen parents who will be there to mind their weenies.

Brooks will attract the 30 to 70 age group. Doubtful if that cohort will be drunk & peeing in peoples gardens.

Litter will be an issue, some people, regardless of background, seem allergic to rubbish bins and the nearest piece of pavement seems to suffice, but overall, the worst I can imagine will be a few hundred girls screaming in excitement (annoying, but survivable) and the few happy drunk (not sloppy drunk) shouting "I got friends" again annoying, but I would SERIOUSLY prefer that to SHM, Eminem, and co. That gets the worst crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

My reading of the attendees is that One Direction will attract the Teeny & Weeny Boppers. Mix in with that a few dozen parents who will be there to mind their weenies.

Brooks will attract the 30 to 70 age group. Doubtful if that cohort will be drunk & peeing in peoples gardens.

Don't you bet on it. Often that crowd (especially groups of women) are far worse than any teens. Take That in Croke Park was dominated by 30-45 year olds and I've never seen so many people as pisshed at any gig anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,392 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Don't you bet on it. Often that crowd (especially groups of women) are far worse than any teens. Take That in Croke Park was dominated by 30-45 year olds and I've never seen so many people as pisshed at any gig anywhere.

Have to say I agree with this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

dreamers75 wrote: »
    They will get their few quid and be fine about it.

Shame they never noticed the stadium when they bought their houses.

Many of them bought their houses long before Croker had the capacity it has now. Long before the GAA invented back doors and side doors and trap doors to line their pockets with, meaning that the stadium is used far more that it ever used to be.
    I bloody hate NIMBYs. But these people have genuine grievance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I say again, I'm guessing that 95% (or some other similarly and arbitrarily large figure, since no, I don't actually know for a fact) of houses were owned and lived in for a long time before the stadium was redeveloped.

Were they meant to be psychics or something?

Croke Park has had an attendence of over 64 000 for most of the past 100 years - and has had crowds of up to 90 000 so they knew there was a very large stadium in the vicinity of their houses while purchasing.....

If you are living by Croke Park, you were always going to be affected by big match days. And over the boom years, that grew rapidly. It is the biggest stadium in the country. HOWEVER to not be allowed in and out of your homes at your own free will or having your home blocked off by three deep parking outside their door. There needs to be compromise now that the tickets are sold (I cannot see for the life of me, ticketmaster refunding 2 nights sales) these people should have access to their homes.

I call bull**** on this part in bold. Nobody is stopped going in and out of their homes. And I've been a regular attendee at Croke Park over the years - its absolute rubbish to say there's "three deep parking" outside peoples houses - Care to name a street where this is even possible - to my knowledge, in all of the streets in the vicinity this would necessitate parking on both carriage ways of those streets - Which would result in the cars being towed.

Honestly - if your going to take part in an argument would you not come up with some points that are in any way valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Have to say I agree with this

I went to Paul McCartney in the RDS a few years ago and I have to be honest. I went to Oasis, Oxygen and other gigs, and the women there were as bad as any young wans! They get three too many wines into them and they are sloppy and rude, and have the worst stench of entitlement off them. All scuttered drunk, going into the mens toilets, "I'm pregnant, I have to go now!". I am not looking forward to that lot again!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,392 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Croke Park has had an attendence of over 64 000 for most of the past 100 years - and has had crowds of up to 90 000 so they knew there was a very large stadium in the vicinity of their houses while purchasing.....

Well I'll have to take your word for this as well.

But let say you bought your house in... the 60's. You're now getting on for elderly. There was a great big stadium over your back wall which had occasional matches on a Sunday or Saturday afternoon which attracted a sporty crowd for a few afternoon hours on whatever day.

That's a whole pile different from today, when there's about five times the amount of matches (as previously pointed out by some other poster), with much bigger attendances, AND (the point at issue in this thread) a whole load of night-time gigs with drink being served before during and after, on weekends and on weeknights, with the promoters/authorities seemingly willing to increase the number of those gigs on a whim without the slightest consultation with residents who will be very much affected by them.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm getting so worked up about it all - like I said I don't live anywhere near the place so it won't affect me - but the casual dismissal of the local residents as just cranks and NIMBYs pisses me off something rotten :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dtipp

I call bull**** on this part in bold. Nobody is stopped going in and out of their homes. And I've been a regular attendee at Croke Park over the years - its absolute rubbish to say there's "three deep parking" outside peoples houses - Care to name a street where this is even possible - to my knowledge, in all of the streets in the vicinity this would necessitate parking on both carriage ways of those streets - Which would result in the cars being towed.

Honestly - if your going to take part in an argument would you not come up with some points that are in any way valid.

I used to be a resident in the Croke Park area.

Firstly, it was probably easier park on big match/concert days than other days. The reason being that on big days, the roads surrounding the stadium (I was at the North Strand side) were blocked off, so it was handy enough getting in and out. It just involved a few words with a Garda, and him/her moving a bollard. No hassle at all - and fewer cars than normal on the streets.

Secondly, I like the area. 99% of the people are sound. But the only hassle I ever saw on any weekend came from people that wouldn't have ever seen the inside of Croke Park. Never once saw someone with a GAA jersey (or someone obviously there for a music event) causing trouble near Croke Park (not saying they've never caused trouble, there must be some idiots, considering the numbers).

The residents association don't represent all the residents remember.
    I reckon the vast majority would be happy enough with the way the GAA treats the community - especially because of the local fund that the GAA contributes to for different projects in the area.

Advertisement