Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

list the rap gigs u have been at and pick the best and worst perfomance

• 07-02-2014 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

eminem
    DMX
    D12(twice)
    the game (4 times)
    nas(twice)
    public enemy
    ghostface killah
    pharoahe monch
    jeru the damaja(twice)
    de la soul
    wu tang clan
    jean grae
    lupe fiasco
    snoop dogg
    raekwon
    big daddy kane
    talib kweli(twice)
    jay z(twice)
    danny brown
    papoose
    atmosphere
    percee p
    one be lo
    guilty simpson
    brother ali
    kidz in the hall
    kanye west(twice)
    lil wayne
    50 cent
    ice cube
    xzibit)twice)
    cyress hill
    obie trice
    royce da 5'9
    i have probably missed a few there but worst was 50 cent in the point around 2005 i think and best was lupe fiasco in tripod in 2008.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Havent been to a huge amount of hip hop gigs myself, been into the EDM scene more but here goes. Do support acts count?? If so:

Eminem
    Slaugherhouse
    Jay Z (twice, once at wtt tour)
    Kanye
    Wu tang clan
    GI and costello
    Chance the rapper
    Yelawolf
    Plan B
    Lethal Dialect
    The Game
    EDIT: forgot about tyler and earl

Best would honestly have to be Kanye, despite the fact he had a hissy fit because somebody threw 20 cent at him, still a seriously good performer.

Worst goes to Yelawolf, the sound was brutal, literally nothing but bass, looking at him makes me cringe which makes it even worse and I'm simply not a fan at all.

Honerable mention to Wu Tang for best act I've seen altogether, me and raekwon had a seriously epic moment for his verse of CREAM which I'm not gonna get into right now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Havent been to a huge amount of hip hop gigs myself, been into the EDM scene more but here goes. Do support acts count?? If so:

Eminem
    Slaugherhouse
    Jay Z (twice, once at wtt tour)
    Kanye
    Wu tang clan
    GI and costello
    Chance the rapper
    Yelawolf
    Plan B
    Lethal Dialect
    The Game

Best would honestly have to be Kanye, despite the fact he had a hissy fit because somebody threw 20 cent at him, still a seriously good performer.

Worst goes to Yelawolf, the sound was brutal, literally nothing but bass, looking at him makes me cringe which makes it even worse and I'm simply not a fan at all.

Honerable mention to Wu Tang for best act I've seen altogether, me and raekwon had a seriously epic moment for his verse of CREAM which I'm not gonna get into right now :p

ya support acts count, why did u go see yelaowolf if he makes u cringe?
    forgot to say jean grae was excellent live when i saw her as support to pharoahe monch.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Saw Eminem back when "My Name Is" had just come out. Maybe 200 people there. It was pretty great.

Saw Ice T. Not so great.

That's about it.

ya support acts count, why did u go see yelaowolf if he makes u cringe?
    forgot to say jean grae was excellent live when i saw her as support to pharoahe monch.

He was supporting eminem in slane back in august there wasn't much I could do to avoid seeing him unfortunately

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Saw Eminem back when "My Name Is" had just come out. Maybe 200 people there. It was pretty great.

Saw Ice T. Not so great.

That's about it.

Where did you see em that there was only 200 people?? That's interesting

• Advertisement

Where did you see em that there was only 200 people?? That's interesting

Downstairs at the Middle East in Cambridge Ma. He even signed my "My Name Is" 12" off the stage.

Actually it wasn't my name is...

0AtkdL1h.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Raekwon
    Wu Tang(3 times)
    Red & Meth
    Danny Brown
    Jay Z(twice)
    Kanye & Jay
    Rakim
    RA The Rugged Man
    Arsonists
    Vinnie Paz & Ill Bill
    Odd Future(3 times)
    Random Axe
    Pac Div
    Pharoahe Monch
    DJ Nu-Mark
    MF DOOM
    The Game
    Snoop
    D12
    Eminem
    Dizzee Rascal

I'm probably leaving off loads but that's what I can remember off the top of my head.

Favourite was DOOM, I wasn't sure how he'd be live he's not known for his amazing live shows but he turned up that night! Stage dived twice and played classic after classic.

Worst was the second time I saw Odd Future. They just weren't feeling it, Tyler had a broken leg so was sitting down for most of the show and it just seemed timid compared to the first time I saw them in 2011, which was crazy.

Method Man is probably the best live performer out of the bunch though, anytime I've seen him he's controlled the whole room with ease. His stage presence is second to none!

HighClass wrote: »
    Raekwon
    Wu Tang(3 times)
    Red & Meth
    Danny Brown
    Jay Z(twice)
    Kanye & Jay
    Rakim
    RA The Rugged Man
    Arsonists
    Vinnie Paz & Ill Bill
    Odd Future(3 times)
    Random Axe
    Pac Div
    Pharoahe Monch
    DJ Nu-Mark
    MF DOOM
    The Game
    Snoop
    D12
    Eminem
    Dizzee Rascal

I'm probably leaving off loads but that's what I can remember off the top of my head.

Favourite was DOOM, I wasn't sure how he'd be live he's not known for his amazing live shows but he turned up that night! Stage dived twice and played classic after classic.

Worst was the second time I saw Odd Future. They just weren't feeling it, Tyler had a broken leg so was sitting down for most of the show and it just seemed timid compared to the first time I saw them in 2011, which was crazy.

Method Man is probably the best live performer out of the bunch though, anytime I've seen him he's controlled the whole room with ease. His stage presence is second to none!

when and where was the arsonists gig?

Downstairs at the Middle East in Cambridge Ma. He even signed my "My Name Is" 12" off the stage.

Actually it wasn't my name is...

That is legendary!! Sounds like a serious night

That is legendary!! Sounds like a serious night

It was amazing actually!

This is the stage...

image01.jpg

It wasn't packed at all... but he killed it.

• Advertisement

It was amazing actually!

This is the stage...

image01.jpg

It wasn't packed at all... but he killed it.

any pics of him from the night?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Arsonists played Dublin many many years ago, before the first album was released. It was in whatever The Village used to be called.
    Excellent gig, my first I think. Even got yapping to them and pics with them, and they were inviting me to go smoke with them.
    I had a strict curfew as I was only a young lad so had to refuse.

Best gig was probably El-P, or Atmosphere/Brother Ali.
    Aesop Rock was also dope.

Worst gig by a county mile was Ghostface. About 18 hype men, no real structure, the DJ had this gunshot punchin that he hit manay many many times, I did not want to raise my hands from side to side every minute. And I'm not into the while putting up your L thing every other minute.

I'll try to put a list of gigs together later.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The Arsonists played Dublin many many years ago, before the first album was released. It was in whatever The Village used to be called.
    Excellent gig, my first I think. Even got yapping to them and pics with them, and they were inviting me to go smoke with them.
    I had a strict curfew as I was only a young lad so had to refuse.

Best gig was probably El-P, or Atmosphere/Brother Ali.
    Aesop Rock was also dope.

Worst gig by a county mile was Ghostface. About 18 hype men, no real structure, the DJ had this gunshot punchin that he hit manay many many times, I did not want to raise my hands from side to side every minute. And I'm not into the while putting up your L thing every other minute.

I'll try to put a list of gigs together later.

the arsonists gig sounds class, ya the ghostface gig was $hit alright in the tivoli, was drinking with trife da god after it, sound guy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

the arsonists gig sounds class, ya the ghostface gig was $hit alright in the tivoli, was drinking with trife da god after it, sound guy.

the one I was at was in The Village.

Just thinking, I recently found a box of pictures from that Arsonists gig, might transfer them to electronic format and paste them up here.
    FreeStyle from the Arstonists also has played here before a few times. I think once with Shabazz The Disciple, another excellent gig.

Uglu Duckling & Pigeon John in RiRa was another class gig.

A few others that spring to mind:
    Atmosphere (3 times)
    Brother Ali (twice)
    Bus Driver/Rob Sonic in the same night to a crowd of about 10 people
    MF DOOM
    GangStarr/Big Shug
    Blackalicious (twice)
    Edan - actually, this could be the best gig I've been to
    Rakim
    Buck 65

lots more

maybe on a hard drive somewhere... I'll have a look

I found this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Not been to a vast amount but lucky that I've seen most of my favourites.

Jurassic 5
    Brother Ali (4 times)
    Atmosphere
    Grieves & Budo
    Evidence
    Blueprint
    Kanye
    Immortal Technique
    Eminem

Technically I could count Machine Gun Kelly and Flo Rida as they performed at Wrestlemania in Miami that I was at. Kelly got booed loudly by everyone :)

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    the one I was at was in The Village.

Just thinking, I recently found a box of pictures from that Arsonists gig, might transfer them to electronic format and paste them up here.
    FreeStyle from the Arstonists also has played here before a few times. I think once with Shabazz The Disciple, another excellent gig.

Uglu Duckling & Pigeon John in RiRa was another class gig.

A few others that spring to mind:
    Atmosphere (3 times)
    Brother Ali (twice)
    Bus Driver/Rob Sonic in the same night to a crowd of about 10 people
    MF DOOM
    GangStarr/Big Shug
    Blackalicious (twice)
    Edan - actually, this could be the best gig I've been to
    Rakim
    Buck 65

lots more

:eek: was at this gig i think, where was it again? the village? thought he was very up himself, kept saying im single ladies etc i was like no one cares, there was a hip hop photographer there 2 showing pics he took, another tool, wanted 200 euro for a krs picture lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

2011 at the Hip Hop Kemp Festival in the Czech Republic. Whole lineup that year was pretty crazy so I had to go! Would recommend the festival big time, lineup is always top notch with 3 days of sun filled with hip hop and Eastern European youngones :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I've been to a few. Not as many as I would like.

In no order:

- the first time OFWGKTA came over here

- I wandered into an Ugly Duckling gig by accident once. It was enjoyable.

- Ghostface, Raekwon and GZA. I loved this. Not the greatest but being in the front row was amazing. Shaking hands with them all as they passed was surreal.

- the best I've been to is Watch the Throne. No surprises here. I've said everything possible about it on here before. An insane gig.

I haven't been to any crap gigs. Of them all the OFWGKTA one would have been the worst. It was a mosh pit. Couldn't hear anything.

I can't remember if I've seen anyone else. I think I have. I'll post again if I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

Off the top of my head...
    • Kendrick Lamar
    • J. Cole
    • A$AP Rocky
    • The Game (7+)
    • Drake (2)
    • Snoop Dogg (4+)
    • Jay-Z (2)
    • Kanye West
    • Pharrell Williams
    • 50 Cent
    • Wiz Khalifa
    • Fabolous
    • Slaughterhouse
    • Tyler, the Creator
    • Royce Da 5'9"
    • Yelawolf
    • Chance The Rapper

The best, most memorable performance of the lot was The Game in The Olympia a couple of years ago. Crazy, crazy gig. Jay and Kanye were brilliant too, as was Kendrick.

The worst, without a shadow of a doubt, was Eminem at Slane Castle.

:eek: was at this gig i think, where was it again? the village? thought he was very up himself, kept saying im single ladies etc i was like no one cares, there was a hip hop photographer there 2 showing pics he took, another tool, wanted 200 euro for a krs picture lol

He's played a few times, the one I was at was in some place I cant remember, wasn't the standard venue. It was the second time he played, first time was the Red Box which I have a recording of.
    Part of his performance is his smugness.

He played here again a few weeks ago and a friend got to hang out with him for a while afterwards, and got some photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Jay-Z x 4
    Nas x 3
    Kanye x 2
    Action Bronson x 2
    J. Cole x 2
    GZA, Raekwon & Ghostface x 2
    Drake x 2
    OFWGKTA x 2
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Kendrick
    The Roots
    Method Man & Redman
    Big Sean
    A$AP Rocky

I'm sure there are more I've forgotten...

Best was WTT for the spectacle or ATCQ for the excitement of seeing them.

Worst was A$AP, just ****e. Haven't listened to him since

I'll be adding Pharoahe Monch to the list this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭countbezukov

Game
    Action Bronson
    Kendrick Lamar
    A$AP Rocky
    Danny Brown
    Jay-Z
    J Cole.
    Best was probably Bronson, hard to beat hearing some of your favourite songs being rapped by one of your favourite rappers as he strolls through the crowd. Worst, hard to pick but if I had to maybe Jay-Z, not a fan of massive venues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

LUPE wrote: »
    Worst was A$AP, just ****e. Haven't listened to him since

His gig in The Academy last year?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Was just at a Kool Keith show 2 days ago. Keith killed it but he went on WAY later that we thought he would, there was like literally 9 openers on before. It was a Wednesday night too, not enough people there for who he is. I did catch a t-shirt he through out though.

Was at Devin The Dude the week before that, great show, Devin is the man and he was genuinely enjoying himself which showed and made it even better.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I saw Edan and Mr. Lif in Sugar Club, was a great gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Jay-Z x2
    Kanye x3
    50 cent (w/ g-unit & ma$e)
    Eminem (w/ Xzibit, Cypress hill & d-12)
    De la Soul
    Rakim

I should have been to a few more that I had tickets for but couldn't go at the last minute. Best ones were Kanye touch the sky tour and the wtt tour. Rakim was great to, got his autograph on my ticket and bumpe knuckles with the guy :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheMza

Kendrick last year in Vicar Street was insane!

• Advertisement
Advertisement