Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood needed in Cork

Options
  • 07-02-2014 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Organising materials for my leaving cert. project .. I need someone to suggest to me 2 types of wood, A light coloured one and a dark coloured one. Making a chessboard. I need to also know places in and around Cork City which supply these woods. They would need to be cut and sanded smooth because this is going into an chessboard piece. if someone could give me a rough quote that would be great .. I would be using 500x500 top and bottom and then making 2 drawers 100x200. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Hey Yall wrote: »
    Organising materials for my leaving cert. project .. I need someone to suggest to me 2 types of wood, A light coloured one and a dark coloured one. Making a chessboard. I need to also know places in and around Cork City which supply these woods. They would need to be cut and sanded smooth because this is going into an chessboard piece. if someone could give me a rough quote that would be great .. I would be using 500x500 top and bottom and then making 2 drawers 100x200. Cheers

The world is your oyster - just choose what woods you are happy with and shop around. The carpentry store in Naas have exotic woods like padauk and purpleheart but you would find Walnut and maple for instance in the chain stores like Chadwicks and JP Corry.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

Hi there, there are a huge variety of hardwood on the market so realistically it comes down to two things;cost and availability. Hardwood is expensive and the odds are you will end up paying for more than you want if you pick something out of the ordinary. As for light and dark wood I'd stick with maple and white oak for the light ones and mahogany and walnut for the dark simply because they look impressive and are generally fairly readily available.

Advertisement