Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thieving sheep

Options
  • 07-02-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

I bought a batch of sheep recently that are four weeks off lambing Ive a problem with two of the ewes that keep getting out all over the Country, they can clear any sheep wire in the place. So has anyone any suggestions as to how I can keep these in the place without taking them to the mart? Ive heard of lads tying the back legs to the front has anyone tried this method?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

farming93 wrote: »
    I bought a batch of sheep recently that are four weeks off lambing Ive a problem with two of the ewes that keep getting out all over the Country, they can clear any sheep wire in the place. So has anyone any suggestions as to how I can keep these in the place without taking them to the mart? Ive heard of lads tying the back legs to the front has anyone tried this method?

Hobbling them isn't a great solution, and particularly with pregnant ewes it's a bad idea. I've seen it done where you tie the opposite fore leg to the opposite back leg and allow enough slack for them to walk but not stretch to a jump. The problem is the rope will, through friction, cut into the skin and harm the animal.

I have shall we say rather athletic sheep and I find that sheep wire net with two strands of barbed wire above will stop even the bravest of them. If that isn't an option I'd be looking to house them until lambing and sell with lambs at foot maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

I was thinking of maybe putting a sock or something else on their legs to stop the friction? What do you think Conaicne? If not Ill just house them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I was thinking of maybe putting a sock or something else on their legs to stop the friction? What do you think Conaicne? If not Ill just house them..

Honest answer, if they were mine I'd house them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Bit surprising sheep a few weeks off lambing are that active jumping over wire, normally even the thieves slow up a bit by now,I would not be surprised if there not lambing a bit later

Ye I didnt think they would start thieving so close to lambing either but one has just started springing. Ive a feeling they caused the previous owner bother aswell and thats the reason he sold them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Ye I didnt think they would start thieving so close to lambing either but one has just started springing. Ive a feeling they caused the previous owner bother aswell and thats the reason he sold them.

Nothing surer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I had a few ewe lambs like them 2 years ago.i bought them in lamb. I ready to cull them but they quietened down no end after they raised their lambs. They were like different sheep the following season. Very quiet now.
    Might have been a different story had they been older sheep ????

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Johnsey

I remember helping an old neighbour years ago and he had two sheep tied together when I said it to him he said it was to stop them from jumping out of everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

Johnsey wrote: »
    I remember helping an old neighbour years ago and he had two sheep tied together when I said it to him he said it was to stop them from jumping out of everywhere

knew a man like that had them collared together worked fine until one made it over the wall and the other didn't.....thus achieving a sheeps ultimate goal....

hobbling legs is just cruel and will be seen as such by any inspector or 'helpful citzen' no amount of a penalty is worth two thieving ewes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

electric fence

• Advertisement

I usually strip graze the sheep using an electric fence and believe me it wouldnt stop these two, I could nearly enter them into a showjumping competition their that good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

house them and sell with lambs at foot

Advertisement