Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones/Kilcoole to Carrickmines luas commute

Options
  • 07-02-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi
    Starting work in Dundrum on Monday. The plan is to drive from Kilcoole to Carrickmines luas and go from there. Anyone do this journey in the morning?
    Wondering what time I'd need to leave to get to Carrickmines for around 8.20/30am?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

aev wrote: »
    Hi
    Starting work in Dundrum on Monday. The plan is to drive from Kilcoole to Carrickmines luas and go from there. Anyone do this journey in the morning?
    Wondering what time I'd need to leave to get to Carrickmines for around 8.20/30am?
    Thanks

Why do you plan to drive 3/4's of the way and not all the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭aev

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Why do you plan to drive 3/4's of the way and not all the way?

Because of the parking situation. Going to be cheaper to pay parking and luas fare from Carrickmines than park in dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

To be on the safe side you need to be leaving at 7:40, no later.

Take that route some days, but carry on through the race course to central park. At the Carrickmines exit there tends to be a pretty big tailback from the roundabout at the entrance to the P&R all the way back up to the roundabout on the off-ramp southbound. It usually takes us 20-30 mins to get to J15 from Charlesland in normal traffic. Of course, there have been mornings where it took 45 mins, hence allowing extra time.

From Carrickmines to Ballaly takes about 15-20 mins. Car parking is €2 a day and luas costs no more than €23 or so per week if you use a Leap Card (there's a set maximum, once you've reached it, the rest of your journeys are free).

Good luck with the new job!

Thanks Eponymous,
    That is a great help. I was thinking around 7.30 so I'll try that for the first morning and see how it goes.
    Can I just ask you what you meant about the cap on luas journeys? I already have a leap card. Just one I top up myself.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

You can park at the ballaly Luas car park for 4 euro a day. And leaving at 7:30am should definitely get you there by then. I leave at 7 and get to sandyford by 7:20/7:25

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Thanks audreyp
    First day tomorrow so I'll see how busy it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

aev wrote: »
    Thanks Eponymous,
    That is a great help. I was thinking around 7.30 so I'll try that for the first morning and see how it goes.
    Can I just ask you what you meant about the cap on luas journeys? I already have a leap card. Just one I top up myself.
    Thanks again
    The cap is on weekly spending: once your travel comes to the limit, all other travel is free on the Luas. I don't use the Leap Card myself, I have an annual pass. The limit is something like €23.60. You'd pick up the details on the Luas website, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You have a number of ticketing options for travelling from Carrickmines to Balally:

Using LEAP will save you money over using cash, but it could be even cheaper to use the period passes available.

Use this page to assess the options available:
    http://www.luas.ie/best-ticket-options.html

• Registered Users Posts: 35 egorski

I was a dart user but I am now thinking about using the carrickmines luas park and ride as part of my daily commute from greystones. Does anybody know if the car park is full at 8.30?

Advertisement