Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltacht??????

Options
  • 07-02-2014 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm in second year and I was looking to go to the Gaeltacht this summer. I think I'm going to colaiste chiarain in Galway if anyone knows about it can you please let me know if it's strict or if you just go for the craic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Not sure about that on,e but Coláiste Chamuis has the reputation as most suited to serious students.

I went to the Gaeltacht once in my life, also at the end of second year, and it actually changed my academic life. I'm still reaping the rewards in LC as it got my mind to finally understand languages.

I went from a low C Irish student to A after that and I improved a hell of a lot in French too as a result of this new enthusiasm. I may be an exceptional case but I'd advise you to choose a strict one if you're lucky enough to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pianoperson

robman60 wrote: »
    Not sure about that on,e but Coláiste Chamuis has the reputation as most suited to serious students.

I went to the Gaeltacht once in my life, also at the end of second year, and it actually changed my academic life. I'm still reaping the rewards in LC as it got my mind to finally understand languages.

I went from a low C Irish student to A after that and I improved a hell of a lot in French too as a result of this new enthusiasm. I may be an exceptional case but I'd advise you to choose a strict one if you're lucky enough to go!
    I agree 100%, went there last year, had great Irish going in and came out fluent! I'm only in 3rd year but 3 of us in my class who went to the Gaeltacht are given harder work because we are all fluent after it! It is strict when compared with the like of Lurgain but you learn so much and have the craic! It also promotes a real love and pride of the language, best 3 weeks ever!! Go n-éiri an t-ádh leat

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Irishgirl1998

I agree 100%, went there last year, had great Irish going in and came out fluent! I'm only in 3rd year but 3 of us in my class who went to the Gaeltacht are given harder work because we are all fluent after it! It is strict when compared with the like of Lurgain but you learn so much and have the craic! It also promotes a real love and pride of the language, best 3 weeks ever!! Go n-éiri an t-ádh leat

I'm bad at Irish and I went to a Gaeltacht last summer and going back to the same one . I do higher level but I might move down to ordinary after midterm .

Advertisement