Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop dropping wifi - What are my rights ?

• 07-02-2014 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    I bought a Toshiba satellite laptop in early December. Every second day it won't connect to my router. Its not the router as 3 phones 2 iPods and another laptop connect perfactly.
    It's really frustrating. I have a receipt. But I don't have the packaging.
    I don't want a repair i need it I can't wait.

What can I do

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Cerco

Start by googling "Toshiba laptop dropping WiFi".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Could just be a driver issue that can be easily addressed by checking the company's support page for any updates that need to be installed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

Are you using Windows 8? We have 3 laptops here with Windows 8 and have constant problems with the wifi connecting to the router. All 3 laptops are different brands we think the problem is with Windows 8. Ipad and android tablets work fine and have no problems connecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Are you using Windows 8? We have 3 laptops here with Windows 8 and have constant problems with the wifi connecting to the router. All 3 laptops are different brands we think the problem is with Windows 8. Ipad and android tablets work fine and have no problems connecting.

Yea it's windows 8. The Windows 7 laptop us fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

Yea it's windows 8. The Windows 7 laptop us fine

I suspect Windows 8 is the problem not your laptop. I'd investigate that first. Might be worth asking over on the Tech forum and maybe looking up google.

We are planning to get Windows 7 put our laptops as we are finding a lot of problems with it and I hate the new layout on it. It's a piece of crap imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you would like, I can move this thread to the Laptops forum to see if the folks there can help?

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭DexyDrain

Had this on a Windows 8.1 laptop, drove me crazy until they updated the driver for the network card. Has been absolutely perfect since. Search for the latest driver for your model on the web or use Windows Update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

dudara wrote: »
    If you would like, I can move this thread to the Laptops forum to see if the folks there can help?

dudara

Could you do that dudara that would be great
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

When I come across this problem (more so with ipads!) I go aggressive, Login to your router and change the SSID to something simple like "goaway", change your security key to something simple also like "mynetworkkey" Finally lower your security settings to the next lowest level and keep lowering them and it may work for you eventually. If all else fails consider disabling your onboard wifi card and installing a USB one. I have had equal success with €40 Netgear usb cards as €5 tiny chinese ones from ebay.

When I come across this problem (more so with ipads!) I go aggressive, Login to your router and change the SSID to something simple like "goaway", change your security key to something simple also like "mynetworkkey" Finally lower your security settings to the next lowest level and keep lowering them and it may work for you eventually. If all else fails consider disabling your onboard wifi card and installing a USB one. I have had equal success with €40 Netgear usb cards as €5 tiny chinese ones from ebay.

Are you offering this as a serious solution to the Op's problem of WiFi dropping out?
    Lowering security levels, changing SSID .... Perhaps you have misunderstood the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Cerco wrote: »
    Are you offering this as a serious solution to the Op's problem of WiFi dropping out?
    Lowering security levels, changing SSID .... Perhaps you have misunderstood the problem.

First of all I've never criticised anyone's advice on this forum or any other one that I'm a member of. I give my time and knowledge freely to boards members based on 25 years of experience as well as 10 years of running my own legitimate computer business.
    I think that my recommendation is a lot more helpful than your suggestion of telling them to go somewhere else (Google).

First of all I've never criticised anyone's advice on this forum or any other one that I'm a member of. I give my time and knowledge freely to boards members based on 25 years of experience as well as 10 years of running my own legitimate computer business.
    I think that my recommendation is a lot more helpful than your suggestion of telling them to go somewhere else (Google).

Well You could give us the benefit of your experience and explain how your suggestions would resolve the issue.

I think the advice I gave is helpful. I apologise if you were upset but I felt you misunderstood the problem. I see nothing wrong in criticising advice if it is misleading. The Op is having a problem with dropout not inability to make a connection. Did you note that his other laptops work okay?

Advertisement