Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filtered delay

Options
  • 07-02-2014 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭

So, in various tracks I listen to I hear this lovely sound that I can only describe as filtered delay. It might be a couple of beat that repeat and fade away but change as they filter.

Not the best description I know, but does anyone know how I can get this effect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

SuprSi wrote: »
    So, in various tracks I listen to I hear this lovely sound that I can only describe as filtered delay. It might be a couple of beat that repeat and fade away but change as they filter.

Not the best description I know, but does anyone know how I can get this effect?

You mean like the delayed notes are filtered but not the primary note?
    If I was to do it I'd insert a filter after the delay in the fx chain. Then I'd draw an automation envelope controlling the wet/dry level of the filter and place it just after the primary note so it effects only the delay.
    I'm not actually sure if that would work, just thinking about it. Must go and try it out now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Rob Humanoid

I guess what your looking for is one of those old tape delay effects that go 'lo fi' over time.

You can do it in the DAW as OP said. But it's well worth investing in a plugin, if your DAW only has a conventional delay with no saturation, etc.

If you hunt around on the KVR forum, you can probably get a decent one that's actually free.

Here's a few I use:

Audio Damage - Dubstation (nice and cheap).
    Waves - H-Delay.
    Softubes - Tube Delay.
    Soundtoys - Echo Boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

mordeith wrote: »
    You mean like the delayed notes are filtered but not the primary note?
    If I was to do it I'd insert a filter after the delay in the fx chain. Then I'd draw an automation envelope controlling the wet/dry level of the filter and place it just after the primary note so it effects only the delay.
    I'm not actually sure if that would work, just thinking about it. Must go and try it out now :)

Exactly - the first note sounds normal, but each successive delayed note changes. I didn't think of adding the fx after the delay so I'll give that a shot
    I guess what your looking for is one of those old tape delay effects that go 'lo fi' over time.

You can do it in the DAW as OP said. But it's well worth investing in a plugin, if your DAW only has a conventional delay with no saturation, etc.

If you hunt around on the KVR forum, you can probably get a decent one that's actually free.

Here's a few I use:

Audio Damage - Dubstation (nice and cheap).
    Waves - H-Delay.
    Softubes - Tube Delay.
    Soundtoys - Echo Boy.

Yep, that's the sound I'm thinking of. Thanks for these plugin suggestions, I'll check them out today.

No problemo mate... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

There was a good free tape emulation plugin Eloxga made it maybe?
    Some of the early bucket brigade type digital delays degrade over time as the buffers cycle - the Korg SDD's did this. The Hedge uses these.

Eventide had/have a preset that does a filtered delay - the delay is sent through a bandpass filter I believe - cool sound. Their TimeFactor does it; it can even modulate the filter too. The TimeFactor is H3000 stuff so that rack will probably do it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I'm a little late to the party, but use a send (Or an effect rack if you use Live), and set the delay all the way wet. You won't hear the initial hit, just the delay. In Live, make an effect rack, one with a clean chain, one with the delay in it. Macro the volume control on both chains to one knob if you want then, for a little extra control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

As an aside there is a new free VST plugin available that allows you to dynamically change the pitch of a delay. The plugin itself is also a delay effect.

Wok Pitchd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I came across this software called Fabfilter which has a delay in it called Timeless 2. The delay allows you to insert envelopes and, most importantly, LFO's. With this I was able to attach an LFO to the filter 1 frequency and peak 'knobs' and have the delay sound change with each note. Really cool effect, and with the help of this brilliant tutorial was able to do some really mad things using delay, stuff I didn't think was possible!!

The Fab Filter stuff is very nice indeed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

I would have thought most delays would have the filter option.
    I haven't used Live since V5 but I seem to remember an effect called Filtered Delay or was it Ping Pong Delay?
    Anyway TAL produce good, mostly free, plug-ins.
    Here's 3 great delays that will do what you're looking for and they're all free.

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-dub

• Advertisement
Advertisement