Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse aren't worth the minimum wage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Bit wow. Dont like the pay then don't become a nurse. Moan, moan , moan in this country. All ye cry babies don't realise how good ye have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

hmmm wrote: »
    You really don't live in the real world do you? There's half a million people unemployed, most of who who would happily work for minimum wage, and you're upset at getting paid 22 grand a year in your first real job.

Not many first jobs have you dealing with looking after human life, severe health risks and faecal matter though do they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

You really don't live in the real world do you? There's half a million people unemployed, most of who who would happily work for minimum wage, and you're upset at getting paid 22 grand a year in your first real job.
    Since you're in the real world, what do you think they should get paid then? Considering they have already done the guts of a year below minimum, and placement throughout the first three years unpaid (12 hour days)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

You really don't live in the real world do you? There's half a million people unemployed, most of who who would happily work for minimum wage, and you're upset at getting paid 22 grand a year in your first real job. Just because you have a degree does not make you special.

My first real job :D would love if it was instead of my other jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    It was stopped fully about 2 years ago if I recall. It is all for free now. A lot of the girls I was nursing with were angry about it at the time as they were brought in instead of qualified nurses to work shifts, so saving the HSE money, and them as slave labour.

Caught a bit of Joe Duffy today (I know, the shame!) 2 student nurses were on complaining about the 6.70 per hour they were being paid. So I guess it's back?? Plenty of students/ trainees work really hard for long hours for no pay, so I'm a bit lukewarm in my enthusiasm for feeling sorry for them.
    Nurses do great work, and I suppose I wouldn't be against 22K starting if the prospects were better, and the health service was a decent place to work instead of the shambles it is. But the fact is that it's a terrible place to work, prospects are poor, wages remain poor for years, and there's better pickings to be had abroad. So like our doctors, our nurses will head of to other countries where they are more valued, and our health system will remain the shambles it is, paying over the odds for locum doctors and agency nurses, which is the same as pissing money down the drain.
    We really need to do something radical to fix the entire system before it breaks down completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Since you're in the real world, what do you think they should get paid then? Considering they have already done the guts of a year below minimum, and placement throughout the first three years unpaid (12 hour days)
    Placement rates are here, they're not unpaid.
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Benefits_Services/pay/student%20nurses.pdf

If you're making up fake sob stories you're not going to win any argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

somuj wrote: »
    Bit wow. Dont like the pay then don't become a nurse. Moan, moan , moan in this country. All ye cry babies don't realise how good ye have it.

i've seen my Mrs cry after getting stuck with a needle at work and having to have a HIV test.
    Cry baby indeed, she has it real good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Hitchens

this is no surprise

HSE = FUBAR

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I couldn't make sense of the figures either so I found this.

They are not getting €22,000. They are getting €13207 (6.49 per hour) rising to €15852. But this is for students in their fourth year who have to do 36 weeks in a hospital, with all that entails. I see no indication that they get paid anything in their first three years as students (presumably in a classroom) but then students in classrooms don't normally get paid. I would be very dubious about any health care workers who only learned their trade in a classroom. So the argurment would be should they get paid the same as a fully qualified nurse for those 36 weeks.

I can't find any pay scales for qualified nurses which start as low as €22,000. This one lists the lowest salary as €27,211.

http://www.nospinireland.com/Nurses%20pay%20scales.html

I think the journalists are getting their information mixed up but that wouldn't be unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

You're never getting ill? Good for you! If you do, you'll suddenly start valuing Nurses. They might even suddenly seem more important than Jedward, as it happens.

They are valued, just not enough demand for them as a nation we still cannot afford the public pay bill. Of course demand may go up in the far future as there will be more older people around due to demographics, we're not there yet.
    UrbanSea wrote: »
    You seem to have neglected a fundemental point, do you think our hospitals have too many nurses or something?

Too many higher paid nurses from the Bertie era. Just a mirror image of teachers, the newer teachers get a raw deal while the ones from the Bertie era keep all their privileges.

• Advertisement

Satriale wrote: »
    i've seen my Mrs cry after getting stuck with a needle at work and having to have a HIV test.
    Cry baby indeed, she has it real good.

Anybody force her to become a nurse??

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WhatNowHow

No idea it wasn't reported, but I would imagine 3rd or 4th year.

You get paid in 4th year internship. Where you are effectively a member of staff responsible for a min of 6 patients

Placement rates are here, they're not unpaid.

If you're making up fake sob stories you're not going to win any argument.
    Perhaps you would actually read what you just posted before you try and be smart.

You do realize that is just for final year? I.e first, second and third year unpaid placement.

First third of 4th year is 6.49 per hour
    Second third of 4th is 6.92 per hour
    Third third of 4th year is 7.79 per hour.

moxin wrote: »
    Too many higher paid nurses from the Bertie era. Just a mirror image of teachers, the newer teachers get a raw deal while the ones from the Bertie era keep all their privileges.
    The unions and their members happily sold out all new workers to keep their current pay. Now they are pretending to care, but the members really don't care now do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

You sound very entitled and patronising. Someone in Lidl packing shelves for years while you were in college is worth a lot more than you right at that moment where you come out of college.

A shelf Stacker is worth more than someone with the knowledge and ability to provide medical care? I've seen some twisted bitterness on Boards but this is really taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Earning less than the minimum wage is not acceptable at all. On the other side of the coin you have all the graduates in other fields who earn a lot less than €22,000 a year or don't even have a job at all? (I know they don't have to do all the hours nurses are doing but would like to if given the opportunity). It's all a big mess right now.

Anybody force her to become a nurse??

Make sure to print this out and take it with you to A&E if you ever get there and tell all the nurses how how little you think of them. I'm sure u will get the best treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

One thing people forget. Yes a lot of sectors got paid more in the boom, but the price of living has not come down since. Rent and bills would swallow a hell of a lot of a new nurses salary. How is the nurse supposed to try and better themselves in life if they barely are scraping by?

A shelf Stacker is worth more than someone with the knowledge and ability to provide medical care? I've seen some twisted bitterness on Boards but this is really taking the piss.
    There's a severe stench of entitlement on this thread. "I have a degree"..."I'm a nurse I'm like Florence Nightingale"..."I'm sacrificing myself for the country"...."Shelf stackers in Lidl".

I know a few "shelf stackers" who work an awful lot harder than some nurses, and for a lot less money. Even if you do like to look down on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

God if I had been offered €22k coming out of college with a masters I would have bitten anyone's hand off for it! There are many many graduates on a lot less than that.

• Advertisement

There's a severe stench of entitlement on this thread. "I have a degree"..."I'm a nurse I'm like Florence Nightingale"..."I'm sacrificing myself for the country"...."Shelf stackers in Lidl".

I know a few "shelf stackers" who work an awful lot harder than some nurses, and for a lot less money.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

You don't actually know any nurses do you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Another thing, why is there so many foreign nurses if the pay isn't great and our own have to emigrate? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

PucaMama wrote: »
    Make sure to print this out and take it with you to A&E if you ever get there and tell all the nurses how how little you think of them. I'm sure u will get the best treatment.

The thing about it is, he still would get the best treatment, for all the thanks they would get...

moxin wrote: »
    Another thing, why is there so many foreign nurses if the pay isn't great and our own have to emigrate? :confused:

I forgot how stupid some of the general population are.

I wonder would it be because nurses' pay in their own country is so much less even than ours?

Why would I print it out?? What purose would that serve. I don't think little of any nurse. They chose this carrer. If they don't like or don't like the pay noone is forcing them to stay in it. Its not like they didn't know what kinda work they going to be doing.

I know a few "shelf stackers" who work an awful lot harder than some nurses, and for a lot less money. Even if you do like to look down on them.

Shelf stackers working harder than nurses lol

Satriale wrote: »
    The thing about it is, he still would get the best treatment, for all the thanks they would get...
    They get thanks, and good pay
    http://www.inmo.ie/35

Why would I print it out?? What purose would that serve. I don't think little of any nurse. They chose this carrer. If they don't like or don't like the pay noone is forcing them to stay in it. Its not like they didn't know what kinda work they going to be doing.

I take it you left college on less money and a little resentful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Shelf stackers working harder than some nurses lol

fyp ;)

• Advertisement

Hitchens wrote: »
    fyp ;)

No don't think so :D ever see them in tesco having a great time chatting between them selves.

Advertisement