Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse aren't worth the minimum wage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

PucaMama wrote: »
    I take it you left college on less money and a little resentful

What are you talking about? Resentful of what??

People have a choice. If they don't like the tasks expected of them or the pay in their chosen field then don't do it. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Nurses actually do stuff. The world no longer values people who do stuff. People who entertain, or talk, or write software or trade shares are valued. People who work, and get dirty, are considered as having little value, generally. Fcuked up world we live in.

Writing software isn't working?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Hitchens

No don't think so :D ever see them in tesco having a great time chatting between them selves.

fair enough, can't argue with that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

moxin wrote: »
    Another thing, why is there so many foreign nurses if the pay isn't great and our own have to emigrate? :confused:

...............There are no words!!!!! :eek: I assume this is the mother of all písstakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I wonder would it be because nurses' pay in their own country is so much less even than ours?

But we also hear the job is one of the hardest to do yet the foreign nurses have no problem doing it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

hmmm wrote: »
    They get thanks, and good pay
    http://www.inmo.ie/35
    You have done a good job in failing to reply to every time I corrected your ignorant and moronic ''truths' on nursing.

I'd say a few of the intellectually disabled nurses look after you. But at least they're well paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

No don't think so :D ever see them in tesco having a great time chatting between them selves.
    I've never seen gaggles of nurses hiding in the nurse station chatting and laughing. No, they spend 40 hours a week covered in bodily fluids with sweat pouring down their furrowed brows.

People work hard in lots of jobs. Why can you not acknowledge that?

But we also hear the job is one of the hardest to do yet the foreign nurses have no problem doing it?

Because most of the foreign nurses come from India and the Philippines where they would be doing the same crap job for about 1,000 a year! They would go to better countries than this if they could get the visas to.

I'd say a few of the intellectually disabled nurses look after you. But at least they're well paid.
    Grow up please, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Work as a nurse for a week so and then see how you feel about the pay.

This argument is utter sh!te, people who go into nursing should do their research and find out whats involved in it, I'd never be a nurse cause its a horrid job, but people still want to do it, if you don't like it, then find another career, just like anyone else who does a job they don't like or feel they are underpaid for, look for an alternative...

The line of argument is like a trash man saying he should get a pay raise because his job involves being around rubbish...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Another thing, why is there so many foreign nurses if the pay isn't great and our own have to emigrate? :confused:
    I forgot how stupid some of the general population are.

I wonder would it be because nurses' pay in their own country is so much less even than ours?

It's because the HSE can't retain their own nurses because of the ****e pay and conditions, and they head off to third world countries to poach their health care staff. Really from countries who probably need them more than we do. Same with doctors (are there any Irish ones left?) They often make promises to them that aren't kept, and there have a lot of cases of them being very poorly treated. The ethics of it is questionable to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Writing software isn't working?

No. It is working. It's just nice, clean work without the blood, sh1t, gore and trauma that Nurses endure. I'd prefer a nurse over a programmer if my arse falls off.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

somuj wrote: »
    Anybody force her to become a nurse??

Whether or not anyone was forced to work in the profession they're in, nobody works in a job where there's a daily risk that they could be stuck with needles just for the hell of it. In my experience, and I have a lot of experience of hospitals including another visit today, the vast majority of nurses are hard working, dedicated professionals who have a genuine desire to care for people. That doesn't mean that because they really want to do the job they should be taken advantage of and be criminally underpaid as a result. The next time you consider making a stupid comment like that, maybe you should take a step away from the keyboard first rather than embarrassing yourself.

But do have to agree with the line on unions selling their future members down the river...Unions are scum of the earth, in line with a certain workers party in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Fúcking hell guys, just because there are lots of unemployed people out there, doesn't mean some of the hardest working people in the entire country, should be treated like shít.

They're working hard to provide an essential, and currently massively understaffed, public service - one which is falling into a worse and worse condition due to budget cuts; fúcking right they feel entitled to a decent wage.

'Entitlement' isn't a bad word - we're entitled to at least the minimum wage, because we have laws on minimum wage; unemployed people are entitled to state benefits/unemployment-payment for a period of time, because that's the system we have in place.

People should feel entitled, to what they are entitled to - and should have the self-respect to feel and demand entitlement, to decent working conditions and pay to compensate them - and should fight to hold onto all of that, not let what they are entitled to (or what they should be entitled to) be removed from them, because some people have ass-backwards morals, begrudging their hard-earned entitlements.

Zaph wrote: »
    they should be taken advantage of and be criminally underpaid as a result.
    What's "criminal" about being paid 22 grand a year straight out of college?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sum41dude

If only people had the option to choose what they did for their careers, and what to study in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

There's a severe stench of entitlement on this thread. "I have a degree"..."I'm a nurse I'm like Florence Nightingale"..."I'm sacrificing myself for the country"...."Shelf stackers in Lidl".

I know a few "shelf stackers" who work an awful lot harder than some nurses, and for a lot less money. Even if you do like to look down on them.

Entitlement? Do you actually know what that word means? At least in the context you're using it in.

Yes, they are entitled. They should be; their jobs are far, far more valuable than shelf stackers. They put in years and go to great personal expense to study and train to a point where they not only have the ability to practice but have the required skills and so their remuneration should reflect that.

I don't look down on shelf stackers but I'm not going to put them on some "working class hero" kind of pedestal above people who are--from an objective position--providing more to society.

The scorn and sneering towards people who go to third level education to better themselves is really starting to wear thin.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Because most of the foreign nurses come from India and the Philippines where they would be doing the same crap job for about 1,000 a year! They would go to better countries than this if they could get the visas to.

I don't see many from those countries in the supermarkets stacking shelves for example, its usually Polish. Is it because the people from those countries have a higher interest in the medical field?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Whether or not anyone was forced to work in the profession they're in, nobody works in a job where there's a daily risk that they could be stuck with needles just for the hell of it. In my experience, and I have a lot of experience of hospitals including another visit today, the vast majority of nurses are hard working, dedicated professionals who have a genuine desire to care for people. That doesn't mean that because they really want to do the job they should be taken advantage of and be criminally underpaid as a result. The next time you consider making a stupid comment like that, maybe you should take a step away from the keyboard first rather than embarrassing yourself.

Maybe you should take a step away from the keyboard before you write another paragraph of nonsense.

• Advertisement

I don't see many from those countries in the supermarkets stacking shelves for example, its usually Polish. Is it because the people from those countries have a higher interest in the medical field?

Because they are qualified as nurses in their own countries. I have seen Indian mean stacking shelves in Tesco too. I assume they did not apply for a job as a nurse as they have not got the adequate qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

No. It is working. It's just nice, clean work without the blood, sh1t, gore and trauma that Nurses endure. I'd prefer a nurse over a programmer if my arse falls off.

I'm pretty sure nurses knew what the duties of the job were before signing up?

I don't look down on shelf stackers but I'm not going to put them on some "working class hero" kind of pedestal above people who are--from an objective position--providing more to society.
    Well I have no comeback to that. Nurses are simply better people, and can look down and sneer at everyone else.

Listen, the nurse as Florence Nightingale image disappeared in this country when the nurses went on strike the first time. Now they've become yet another public sector worker who feel entitled to a huge wage and are trying on the sob stories.

People feel vulnerable when they or their family are sick and quite rightly appreciate medical staff. Nursing unions are more than happy to play that image up to try and get more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Aodhagan wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure nurses knew what the duties of the job were before signing up?

naw, you can't really know what any job actually involves if you haven't done it before

They get thanks, and good pay
    http://www.inmo.ie/35

Thanks for the link.

I'm wondering, do the people who have objections about the pay of student nurses also think staff nurses are also underpaid? The pay looks good.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What's "criminal" about being paid 22 grand a year straight out of college?

The industry I work in people without a college education start on more than that. And that would be for very junior work without having to work unsociable hours, deal with abusive and/or violent patients in A&E on a Saturday night, clean up all manner of bodily fluids and be expected to look after the wellbeing of however many patients they're assigned to. I spoke to a nurse today who finished work at 8.30pm last night and was back in work for a full shift at 5.30am today. It's a skilled occupation with tough working conditions and should be recognised as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

You don't actually know any nurses do you

I guess s/he doesn't.

I have a fairly average job for someone my age. It took a year of training and I think that I'm paid fairly. Most importantly, if I screw up, nobody dies. I don't have that sort of pressure, thankfully.

Nurses, on the other hand are highly skilled individuals with a lot of responsibility. They have to be. They're dealing with life and death. They also have crappy shifts. It's only right that they're paid properly.

I don't know what to say about the comparisons with shelf-stackers. There's only so much stupid that I can process.

It's a skilled occupation with tough working conditions and should be recognised as such.
    It's 22 grand a year with a salary that is guaranteed to rise every year, that looks recognised to me. How much do you think someone should be paid straight out of college? 30k? 40k? Rising to what? We'd all love to pay nurses 100k a year, but there has to be some limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I guess s/he doesn't.

I have a fairly average job for someone my age. It took a year of training and I think that I'm paid fairly. Most importantly, if I screw up, nobody dies. I don't have that sort of pressure, thankfully.

Nurses, on the other hand are highly skilled individuals with a lot of responsibility. They have to be. They're dealing with life and death. They also have crappy shifts. It's only right that they're paid properly.

I don't know what to say about the comparisons with shelf-stackers. There's only so much stupid that I can process.

I think I've reached my quota for the month.

• Advertisement

The industry I work in people without a college education start on more than that. And that would be for very junior work without having to work unsociable hours, deal with abusive and/or violent patients in A&E on a Saturday night, clean up all manner of bodily fluids and be expected to look after the wellbeing of however many patients they're assigned to. I spoke to a nurse today who finished work at 8.30pm last night and was back in work for a full shift at 5.30am today. It's a skilled occupation with tough working conditions and should be recognised as such.

We all can understand its a difficult and challenging job...but they know that too and before they head into the industry, they should do a little research into the job's description and tasks that they'd be performing

Advertisement