Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse aren't worth the minimum wage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

moxin wrote: »
    Ask them?

They know the job they are getting into, it ain't a state secret :)

Like I said earlier, if the going gets tough choose a different profession?

Yes we should set up our own consulting firm :D. Doctors that complain about long working hours should change job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

But hey! You can get into the Garda Club for free and get your leg felt by a burly Garda from the Wesht!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

steddyeddy wrote: »
    And fair play I say. I a country wants to put 80 million of taxpayers money into Irish water and pay nurses a subpar wage then more power to them.

Irish Water has nothing to do with it.It isn't a subpar wage,you just don't have have an answer as to why one profession should get disproportionate treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WhatNowHow

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    ****ing Nurses do **** all most of the time.

Care Assistants do all the work, most Nurses are under educated Doctors.

Giving out tablets and sitting on there ass most of the time, while Care Assistants are dealing with patients, lifting them out beds, washing them, feeding them, wiping there ass.

While Nurse is standing there with a pen in her ****ing mouth.

**** them

That couldn't be more inaccurate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I can’t believe this isn’t getting more attention. Under the policy that was introduced in 2012 graduate nurse will make 22,000 a year. At 6.49 an hour this is less than the minimum wage.
    hmmm wrote: »
    I don't understand the calculations - how many hours do nurses work?

22000/52/40 = 10.57 per hour for a 40 hour week.

22 grand for a starting salary straight out of college sounds pretty decent to me.
    I don't think you answered this eddy - how did you calculate that nurses are earning €6.49 an hour?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

gctest50 wrote: »
    - and as well as everything else they are the last line of defence between a patients survival and misdiagnosis/errors and so on

- difference between them and most other workers is they may only have minutes with a patient who is fading rapidly to know what to do - no time for looking it up on yer smart phone

What are you on about?

Who looks up smartphones?

Are Nurses suddenly Doctors now?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JackF1

Yes we should set up our own consulting firm :D. Doctors that complain about long working hours should change job!

Yeh can't wait for my next trip to capitalist future hospital.
    Doctors with just a science degree and fancied a bit of messing with humans cause they couldn't hack their previous job conditions.
    Nurses who just did a first aid course etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

WhatNowHow wrote: »

Go on!

crockholm wrote: »
    Irish Water has nothing to do with it.It isn't a subpar wage,you just don't have have an answer as to why one profession should get disproportionate treatment

They work harder than most professions. It's that simple.

Indeed and nurses choose an extremely hard job which 99% of people couldn't do. They didn't choose the wages.
    You'd have to wonder how the wages aren't higher if only 1% of the population are capable of doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Indeed and nurses choose an extremely hard job which 99% of people couldn't do. They didn't choose the wages.

Hey, you may have missed my post a couple of pages back, but you seem to have a good knowledge of the nursing profession so I'll ask again,

Where is the €22k figure coming from? As far as I can see on the INMO website they are paid €16,688 (€460 p/week) in their final year of college for 36 weeks work, then when graduated they get €30,234 per annum. Am I missing something here?

Just for clarification, because there is a lot of facts, opinions, insults etc getting mixed up in the middle of everything, can a nurse or someone who knows the profession clarify if this scenario correct? (based on this link http://www.inmo.ie/35)

Service Age Salary
    Student Y4 22 €16,688.00 (36 wk placement)
    Grad Y1 23 €30,234.00
    Grad Y2 24 €31,710.00
    Grad Y3 25 €33,189.00
    Grad Y4 26 €34,666.00
    Grad Y5 27 €36,137.00
    Grad Y6 28 €37,408.00
    Grad Y7 29 €38,683.00
    Grad Y8 30 €39,952.00
    Grad Y9 31 €41,222.00
    Grad Y10 32 €42,469.00

JackF1 wrote: »
    Yeh can't wait for my next trip to capitalist future hospital.
    Doctors with just a science degree and fancied a bit of messing with humans cause they couldn't hack their previous job conditions.
    Nurses who just did a first aid course etc

Ah stop I have a science degree ha ha. I could still teach them a thing or two ;)

Phoebas wrote: »
    You'd have to wonder how the wages aren't higher if only 1% of the population are capable of doing it.

I don't really. They're easy targets and always have been.

Hey, you may have missed my post a couple of pages back, but you seem to have a good knowledge of the nursing profession so I'll ask again,

Where is the €22k figure coming from? As far as I can see on the INMO website they are paid €16,688 (€460 p/week) in their final year of college for 36 weeks work, then when graduated they get €30,234 per annum. Am I missing something here?
    Department of Health & Children Salary Scales Applicable from 1st January 2010
    Following the Introduction of Financial Emergency Measures In The Public Interest (No. 2) Act 2009

The dates.

They work harder than most professions. It's that simple.
    They don't work harder than mine. I don't Think that in the scheme of things that nurses should be complaining about their lot.As professions go,it is one of the better ones

They don't work harder than mine. I don't Think that in the scheme of things that nurses should be complaining about their lot.As professions go,it is one of the better ones

They work harder than mine that's for sure.

Ah stop I have a science degree ha ha. I could still teach them a thing or two ;)
    Can you sue your science degree to answer this:
    Phoebas wrote: »
    I don't think you answered this eddy - how did you calculate that nurses are earning €6.49 an hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭shuvly

The most that they will do on 12 hour shifts would be 3 in a week,perhaps 4.
    And lets be honest,it's not that often that they will work 12 hours without any break.Once in a blue moon really.

I often work a 5 x 12hr shift week...so you are incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Satriale wrote: »
    you basically said that three people working in an enviroment where sickness/infection/disease is the norm were skiving, so prove it.

how would i know? im not a doctor and i doubt you are either. even if what you say is true, you are still speculating. again, prove it.

So you have no problem with a 30% absenteeism rate? When, for you, would it become a problem? At 50%, 80%, 100%?

If you owned a business and 30% of your staff did not show, yet you still had to pay their salary that would not be a problem?

I do not have to prove anything. There is a high absenteeism rate in healthcare and this is well documented. Not among doctors though, curiously enough.

Seems to be people in this thread want:
    - higher nursing salaries
    - extra nursing staff
    - absenteeism to go unchallenged and replacements drafted in.

In other words, throw more money in the system in general.

When has throwing money into healthcare ever improved things? It certainly didn't do much during the massive increases from 97 - 06.

Nurses have a overwhelming sense of entitlement. Even when they are paid within the normal salary range for graduates, they feel massively harddone by.

Go on!

Nurses work with the HCAs and do just as much of the ****ty work that is when they're not having patients families looking for them, doctors meds to do etc..

I worked with a nurse one day who was literally up to eyes in paperwork had 2 very sick patients being called at left right and centre while she tries to teach me. Trying to write the notes when she can get any spare second almost in tears (cause don't forget if it's not written it wasn't done!!!) and there's a HCA sitting there 'specialing' a patient (who required no personal care btw) an he's laughing saying 'this is great I'm getting paid more than you and don't have all that responsibility'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

WhatNowHow wrote: »

There is a fair bit of truth in that statement so why knock it? I know quite a few nurses who admit that they have a far cushier life than nurses years ago. It's mostly Nurse's Aides/Care Assistants that do the donkey work.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

No offense taken but I don't consider "they choose it" to be sufficient reason to see health workers be treated like crap.

I agree, nobody should be treated like crap, but a degree shouldn't mean entitlement. If you are good at what you do you will earn what your are worth, i've met many a grad enigineer who were not worth their starting wages yet some are worth double, i'm sure there are similarities with grad nurses.
    Learn, prove and progress and your pay will reflect that, if you don't, go and stack shelves somewhere for 50c an hour extra for the rest of your life

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

What are you on about?

Who looks up smartphones?

Are Nurses suddenly Doctors now?

y so literally ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

The dates.

explain?

explain?

Sorry Moxin I generally only reply to people who answer my questions. No offense it's my way of ensuring I don't waste time debating.

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    There is a fair bit of truth in that statement so why knock it? I know quite a few nurses who admit that they have a far cushier life than nurses years ago. It's mostly Nurse's Aides/Care Assistants that do the donkey work.

See my above post. I've experienced it first hand and it's not true

shuvly wrote: »
    I often work a 5 x 12hr shift week...so you are incorrect

Try doing 12x6 and 6hrs on the sunday for 3 weeks solid.But this ain't about who has the biggest dick.That arrangement would be unusual among nurses. I feel that sometimes nurses overplay their hand with regards misery.

It would actually suit me if nurses were given one million euro per year,given that my wife is a nurse. It's just this thing with all the new nurses leaving the country when there are jobs here irks me a Little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Sorry Moxin I generally only reply to people who answer my questions. No offense it's my way of ensuring I don't waste time debating.

Explain where the following applies

You replied to the poster saying some 2010 act which stated nothing about pay so can you explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Arf91, we're talking about 4th yr student nurses. When they graduate and become full time, their salaries will massively rise, so what's the problem?

Because it represents a much bigger problem and highlights how badly run our healthcare system is. In Australia they don't have half the extra admin people as over here and yes the opportunity to progress is there for some but all in all 4yrs in college for a career that's really more of a life career than others you are comparing it to- and they get treated with this attitude that they should know what their getting themselves into.. That is not the kind of mentality that will reform our system!

• Advertisement

@eddy, where does your €6.49 an hour figure come from?

Advertisement