Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronan Mullen running for Europe

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

smacl wrote: »
    Being on a island of the coast of Europe, that has never been an imperial power, and has a relatively high cost of living, we simply haven't seen the same level of immigration as some other European countries. We don't have the type of racism seen in other countries because we don't have their large often ghettoised ethnic minorities.

That's incorrect. Our level of immigration is one of the highest in Europe in the last few years. And you may be mistaking cause and effect in ghettoisation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well I suppose after decades hating our nearest neighbor it seems that our tongue lashings are reserved for ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In the Midlands-NW constituency, Mullen's name isn't in the news at all:
    Midlands-Northwest is also not going to bring home a first count tonight – in Castlebar, it is likely they too will call a halt to the count at 11pm and restart at 9am (Tues).

This is a massive constituency, spanning parts of 15 counties, and returning four seats.

Ss much reported, Luke ‘Ming’ Flanagan (ind) is in the top polling spot there according to tallies and exit polls.

The second seat should go to Mairead McGuinness (FG). The third seat could be a fight between Matt Carthy (SF), Pat ‘the Cope’ Gallagher (FF) and Marian Harkin (ind).

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

That's incorrect. Our level of immigration is one of the highest in Europe in the last few years. And you may be mistaking cause and effect in ghettoisation.

High rates in recent years don't make up for decades of long term immigration in countries such as France and the UK. If you look at the 2013 list of countries by foreign-born population you'll note that the levels in Germany, France and the UK are in excess of ten times greater than in Ireland. Much of the immigration in these countries has come from colonies or ex-colonies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

jank wrote: »
    Well I suppose after decades hating our nearest neighbor it seems that our tongue lashings are reserved for ourselves.

Oh boy, another drive-by post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Decades of hating our nearest neighbour? I didn't know one clause could contain so much wrong.

• Moderators Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Ah c'mon, Clare isn't that bad! :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

smacl wrote: »
    High rates in recent years don't make up for decades of long term immigration in countries such as France and the UK. If you look at the 2013 list of countries by foreign-born population you'll note that the levels in Germany, France and the UK are in excess of ten times greater than in Ireland. Much of the immigration in these countries has come from colonies or ex-colonies.

Did you click on that link? Ireland's in the top percentiles. The descendent of an immigrant is not an immigrant. The foreign born population here is higher than most of Europe as a percentage of the population which is , of course, the only way to measure it.

The percentages in France, Germany and the UK of foreign born is less than Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The descendent of an immigrant is not an immigrant.
    Tell that to the pro-Russians in Crimea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Did you click on that link? Ireland's in the top percentiles. The descendent of an immigrant is not an immigrant. The foreign born population here is higher than most of Europe as a percentage of the population which is , of course, the only way to measure it.

The percentages in France, Germany and the UK of foreign born is less than Ireland.

In reality, yes. In the mind of an idiot, no.

• Advertisement

Another profound contribution to the discussion.

Anti-choice, not exactly friendly to the gay community.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0529/620306-marian-harkin-elected-in-midlands-north-west/

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nodin wrote: »

Actually I consider any MEP who signed the ILGA pledge (text below) to be a friend and ally to the LGBT community

http://eile.ie/2014/01/21/irish-meps-lgbt/

http://www.ilga-europe.org/home/how_we_work/european_institutions/ep2014/mep/pledge

I pledge to stand up for human rights and equality in Europe as a member of the European Parliament, including the human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex people (LGBTI).

I pledge to advance LGBTI equality by supporting the following actions:

Adopt an EU Roadmap on LGBTI equality
    Equip the EU with a comprehensive action plan to champion equality and to ensure it uses its full powers in an effective and coherent way, as it does to combat other forms of discrimination

Enforce human rights within the EU
    Ensure the adoption of an internal human rights strategy and the creation of a watchdog mechanism to enable the EU to respond to human rights violations within its own borders and to hold Member States accountable to their human rights commitments

Complete the EU anti-discrimination law
    Actively work towards the adoption of a comprehensive anti-discrimination legislation and the effective implementation of existing standards, including through continued EU financial programmes to enable effective action to make equality a reality in the EU

Combat homophobic and transphobic violence
    Actively work towards the extension of EU legislation to combat all forms of bias-motivated violence and to mobilise all EU agencies to protect victims of violence and to train law-enforcement professionals

Promote an inclusive definition of family in EU policies
    Ensure that EU legislation and policies are inclusive of LGBTI families within the scope of EU competences (such as freedom of movement and mutual recognition) and to promote respect and recognition of the rights of LGBTI families

Take a lead in protecting trans rights
    Be a leader in calling for an end to requirements to legal gender recognition for trans people that clearly violate human rights, and to actively support the EU in continuing to lead on the depathologisation of trans identities

Take action against school bullying
    Mobilise EU institutions and Member States to effectively address school bullying, including homophobic and transphobic bullying, through existing EU policies and programmes

Tackle discrimination and inequalities in health
    Mobilise EU institutions and Member States to effectively address barriers to the effective enjoyment of the right to health for LGBTI people through existing EU policies and programmes

Ensure effective protection for LGBTI asylum-seekers
    Ensure that Member States correctly and fairly examine LGBTI people’s asylum claims and to support EU agencies and national authorities in fully implementing EU asylum legislation

Make the EU the world champion of equality for LGBTI people
    Ensure that the human rights of LGBTI people outside of the EU remain a key priority in the EU’s external policy, including in its enlargement and neighbourhood policies, in its positions at international organisations, and within its programmatic support to human rights defenders.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Actually I consider any MEP who signed the ILGA pledge (text below) to be a friend and ally to the LGBT community

http://eile.ie/2014/01/21/irish-meps-lgbt/

Odd, because I thought she voted against an anti-hate speech measure in the EU. Maybe I'm entirely wrong on that score, as I can't seem to find reference to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

pauldla wrote: »
    Decades of hating our nearest neighbour? I didn't know one clause could contain so much wrong.

Ah, but it's true, we all hate dat Bally crowd now don't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Unfortunately despite being an independant with a high ish profile and still failing miserable it seems mullen didnt get the message

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/mullen-eyes-dail-seat-at-next-general-election-30316263.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I still haven't a clue what human dignity is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

lazygal wrote: »

Something that must be promoted, it seems. To build the country up. In a positive direction. With options.

Hope that clarifies things.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I gather it's a family value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

It's whatever he tells you it is, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Yes them going "Mullen did bad in this election - but so did Lincoln in his first few" instantly made me think of this comic strip from Calvin and Hobbes

acd4c5305e0d012ee3bf00163e41dd5b

One preserves human dignity by remembering that sex is always dirty.

Worth the price of a phone call, I'd say.
    According to local authority regulations, any party or candidate who had
    failed to take down their election materials by midnight is liable for a fine of
    €150 per poster

Advertisement