Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US citizenship through deceased parent

Options
  • 07-02-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

My dad was born in 1907 and lived in the US (NEW York) from 1929-39 approx. when he returned to Ireland. He became a US citizen in 1935. He married an Irish citizen in 1952 and I was born in 1959 and live in Ireland. Both my parents are now dead. I understand that I may be entitled to US citizenship. I plan to apply for a US passport using form DS-11 and as part of the process visit the embassy. I need evidence of my fathers physical evidence in the US for the 10 year period. I have the following: certificate of citizenship, social security number, Irish passport showing US visa from 1929 and a US passport issued in Dublin in 1941 which replaced a previous one issued in Washington DC in 1939. Can anyone advise on the physical evidence that would be acceptable in this case, how and where I can obtain same please? Has anyone had experience in this area? All advice and observations appreciated.

I had posted this earlier under legal discussion - probably not the right place -apologies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What about his US birth cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 eddiw1

Sorry about the confusion, my dad was born in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

eddiw1 wrote: »
    I need evidence of my fathers physical evidence in the US for the 10 year period. Can anyone advise on the physical evidence that would be acceptable in this case, how and where I can obtain same please? Has anyone had experience in this area? All advice and observations appreciated.

Evidence of his physical "presence" right?

From 1929 to 1939. Was there a census in that period?

Where in NY did he live? What did he work at? I believe NY has pretty good records but digging that stuff up may be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You may be able to get his tax filings? maybe not, the paperwork from so long ago may be gone.
    What did he do while he was there? If you know his employer, and it is a major company there is a chance they may have records. Check the newspaper from where he lived, maybe he was mentioned for something or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Could be mistaken, but getting a passport is not the same thng as getting citizenship.

Once you have citizenship, only then can you apply for a passport.

• Advertisement

The Genealogy forum may have some ideas? They're more concerned with tracing people and would probably have some good leads.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The Genealogy forum may have some ideas? They're more concerned with tracing people and would probably have some good leads.

Indeed we do :)

I have access to the U.S. Naturalization Records Index on Ancestry and can look up the 1930 census to see if he pops up. If he was in NYC then there was a 1935 census that he may be in.

Just PM me his name and I'll see what I can find.

edit : Actually I just reread your question and I think you have pretty much everything that we here could possibly find for you.
    Can anyone advise on the physical evidence that would be acceptable in this case, how and where I can obtain same please?

Shouldn't you ask that question to the people/organisation who tell you that this is the case? I can only imagine that tax records from the IRS or as silja suggested his employment records would count.

Why wouldnt the citizenship records be enough I wonder? I'm Curious why its important to prove physical presence as there could be some assumption that he had to go through that process himself to get his passport in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why wouldnt the citizenship records be enough I wonder? I'm Curious why its important to prove physical presence as there could be some assumption that he had to go through that process himself to get his passport in the first place?

If you were born outside the US before 1986 and are claiming citizenship through one parent, you are required to show that the parent lived in the US for at least ten years before your birth...

One parent is a U.S. citizen at the time of birth and the birthdate is before November 14, 1986 but after October 10, 1952:

The parents are married at the time of birth and the U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the U.S. or its territories for a period of at least ten years at some time in his or her life prior to the birth, at least five of which were after his or her 14th birthday.

http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

It used to be the case, but Obama changed the rules, you now have to prove your parent was a resident for ten years previous to your birth in a foreign country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

It used to be the case, but Obama changed the rules, you now have to prove your parent was a resident for ten years previous to your birth in a foreign country.

Presidential Order was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 eddiw1

Thanks for all the help here. As you will know, the period in question is over 80 years ago and there are few, if any, first hand accounts of what my dad did, where he lived etc. He held a variety of jobs e.g. taxi driver, fitter and lived in lodgings. I have sourced info including date of entry, 1930 census entry, 1935 citizenship cert, social security no. After that, I have very little. I am trying to get tax filings and/or social security record and immigration records but this is proving to be a mystery tour viz., exactly what information exists, exactly where it is held and by whom. To date, I have not been able to establish date of departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Question could my mother do this through her dead mother. Her mothers mother moved over in the earlier 1930s.

My Mother's mum never moved to the states but all her family did back than .

Thanks for all the help here. As you will know, the period in question is over 80 years ago and there are few, if any, first hand accounts of what my dad did, where he lived etc. He held a variety of jobs e.g. taxi driver, fitter and lived in lodgings. I have sourced info including date of entry, 1930 census entry, 1935 citizenship cert, social security no. After that, I have very little. I am trying to get tax filings and/or social security record and immigration records but this is proving to be a mystery tour viz., exactly what information exists, exactly where it is held and by whom. To date, I have not been able to establish date of departure.

The name could on the. new york ellis island records

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

cena wrote: »
    Question could my mother do this through her dead mother. Her mothers mother moved over in the earlier 1930s.

My Mother's mum never moved to the states but all her family did back than .

Cena- I am pretty sure you asked that question before: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80435998 If you found out additional information which might change the answer given then, feel free to bump your old thread with it or make a new one giving your specific circumstances.

silja wrote: »
    Cena- I am pretty sure you asked that question before: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80435998 If you found out additional information which might change the answer given then, feel free to bump your old thread with it or make a new one giving your specific circumstances.

I may have. I'll have a look tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

You could try contacting some of the Irish organisations in New York who might at least be able to give you some pointers as to the best way to establish the facts that you need:

http://www.newyorkirishcenter.org/
    http://irishnetwork-nyc.com/

You could also try the Aisling Irish Community website. They also have a list of useful links on their homepage - some of which might be worth contacting:
    http://www.aislingcenter.org/links.html

You never know, there might be some sort of records in existence e.g. GAA club membership or social club membership that might help you in your plight. The Irish community were very tight knit in those days. There might be some sort of church register or something else that might help.

It's certainly worth a try.

Advertisement