Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boxymo insurance??

Options
  • 07-02-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I turn 20 in a few days, and have been driving two years- one yr with learner licence, one with full (both years as a name driver on my mother's car) and have bought a cheap little 1 litre micra. I'm just pricing insurance, and, as expected, it's coming in pretty expensive. But I priced Boxymo and it's coming in at around €900, except I can't do over 16,000 km a year (unlikely anyway) and they install a box on the car to ensure I'm not a risky driver...
    So my question is, is Boxymo too good to be true/is there any hidden conditions/have you any experience/thoughts? Thank you!
    I'm a girl btw ( if the username didn't give it away)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I turn 20 in a few days, and have been driving two years- one yr with learner licence, one with full (both years as a name driver on my mother's car) and have bought a cheap little 1 litre micra. I'm just pricing insurance, and, as expected, it's coming in pretty expensive. But I priced Boxymo and it's coming in at around €900, except I can't do over 16,000 km a year (unlikely anyway) and they install a box on the car to ensure I'm not a risky driver...
    So my question is, is Boxymo too good to be true/is there any hidden conditions/have you any experience/thoughts? Thank you!
    I'm a girl btw ( if the username didn't give it away)

I don't know anything about that particular company, so can't comment on the conditions. But have you tried some brokers? First Ireland, Britton, Chill etc.

There's a company called Asgard, accessible through brokers who's target market is (or at least was when I was working in insurance) ages 18-24.

You might get a similar quote or one just slightly more expensive, but without having to fit any box to your car.

Worth a few phone calls anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Personally I wouldn't like having a monitoring device on my car, mainly because I have a heavy right foot and do feel at times that my own Micra has to be worked in some cases being such as small engine, things that these insurance companies don't like.

Ring around other companies like First Ireland and Quote Devil and see what they come in at price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sadprincess

Hmm, yes Boxymo is certainly not ideal, but for a first time insurer, is it ok? I mean, do you know of any hidden costs/any catch etc? I guess I would be willing to be extra careful of my driving for my first year, so I could move onto a more "normal" insurer next year

Advertisement