Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Tiernans Secondary school Dundrum

Options
  • 07-02-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi All,
    moved to Dublin about a year ago hence cudnt secure seats in Benildus or Oatlands, my son will be ready for secondary school next year.

St Tiernans in Dundrum is the only one who can and has offered a place
    heard a lot negative and got some positive news as well ...

need some advice - apparently their science lab and faculty is very good
    we are really stuck

please share your views and advices....its mindboggling

thanks in advance
    regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Alphac

Hi there,

I grew up in the area and St. Tiernans was known as a more "technical" school back then, by this I understand that there wasn't as much emphasis on entry to traditional academic third level courses/institutions. Of course this may always have been a misplaced perception or very well may have changed now. A good friend of mine went there and would still speak well of the place and his experiences.

You've probably heard this before but it depends on your son, what he wants and what you want for him. As you know its co-ed, that can be beneficial in ways too. If fee paying isn’t what you had in mind have you tried De La Salle? My cousins went there and did very well, had a great time too. There are lots of schools in the general vicinity, hope you find one that works for you.

http://www.delasallecollege.com/

Let us know how you get on,
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Not sure if same with secondary schools, but with the primary if you are prepared to wait it out till last minute then often you can get the place you want.

Is commonly a few very late drop off's - such as getting a place in one of the other schools or a private school etc. Have seen it happen a few times that parents have got called in late August, or even in Sept once term has started, to get offered a place.

BTW.. I live in that area and went to Benildus (Long time ago), so what I am saying does happen in this area; but like I say this is my experience with the primary schools.

Hope you get the place you want. ;)

Advertisement