Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Bausch and Lomb like?

Options
  • 07-02-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have an Engineering interview with Bausch and Lomb next week.

Hoping someone can give me some insight into the company and what its like to work in.
    Looking for a high level insight, not going into department by department – although if there’s anything I should know here please tell me.

What is Bausch & Lomb like to work for?
    What is the atmosphere like? Relaxed & friendly or high pressured & negative? Mix?
    Job Security?
    Is it a company where its frowned upon to leave on-time(within reason) or are the employees expected to get their work done in the days hours (excluding the odd high pressured occasions)?
    Are there progression possibilities within the company for capable driven employees?

I know Bausch was bought over last year by Valeant. From what I've heard Valeant were happy with the Waterford plant and job losses there were insignificant. Can anyone clarify this?

From a profit loss point of view Bausch had a net loss of $124 million in 2011 and a net loss of $68 million in 2012. Does anyone know the figures for 2013? Has the Valeant takeover and cuts made the difference?

I cant find info on Waterfords 2012 or 2013 P/L books but would like to know if the factory itself is profit making? Hoping this may have been what lead to few job losses in Waterford.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 e46waterford

Also can anyone vouch for Waterford City itself? From reading some posts here it seems all doom and gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Also can anyone vouch for Waterford City itself? From reading some posts here it seems all doom and gloom.

If you move to Waterford the incredible level of negativity by Waterford people to Waterford is something you are going to have to learn to level with. It is literally to the point of the ridiculous. However, I can certainly vouch for Waterford it is a great place to live and believe me I have been in a lot of places. Don’t know anything about Bausch & Lomb thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I cant comment on the company but I will add to the above comment that Waterford in particular does seem to breed some very unambitious and negative people to be found in every office and factory in the city. I have been around a while now so I know the type straight away- still have the exact same mates now as when they were 15 and dossing in the back of the class, just waiting for the age until they left school with no ambition to further themselves and go and work in a pub or shop until the day they die.

Because in Waterford, you get a sizeable core of people who would have to be dragged from the city even if every single shop closed down, they just dont see anything outside the city walls and would prefer to moan about how the place is being destroyed and ignored while downing pints in Geoffs or The Park Inn week after week. Ok so maybe that sounds a tad personal but its how I see a lot of people here. I do love Waterford but the moaning wasters do bring it down a lot. These very people would be struck dumb if you actually challenged them "You seem unhappy here, would you consider moving to Dublin or abroad, maybe broaden your horizons?" <tumbleweed>.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Waterford has suffered a lot in the past 5 years or so. Many people with energy and drive have had to move away through no fault of their own. If you match that description we'd be only too delighted to have you. We're not all doom mongers as you'd be made to believe. Some of us have plenty of plans for life in this place we call home. It has so much going for it. It just needs a shot in the arm to get the pendulum swinging back towards prosperity, and an even chance at letting that happen. People like yourself are that shot. Welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Similar to above, I can't comment on B&L but I can vouch for Waterford as a great place to live. The city has been hit hard in recent years with the likes of Waterford Crystal and Talk Talk closing down but it has a lot going for it and hopefully with more people like yourself moving here, the town will find it's feet again.

One thing you will learn about Waterford is that there are a minority of people with a massive negative chip on their shoulders and all they do is moan about the place they live in and the lack of jobs. When jobs do come up, the same people start the moaning process again and complain that the said job is only minimum wage and not worth going for. This type of attitude has been around since as long as I can remember and my parents before me. If I hear the saying "the town has gone to the dogs" one more time, I will crack up.

I wish you the best of luck in your interview and I hope you enjoy living in Waterford (should you decide to move) as much as I and the majority of others do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I worked there for over 10 years and they are an excellent company to work for. I know they have new owners and from what I've heard from people I've worked with it's still roughly the same. The staff and employees are great to work for and with and it's a place where you can have a bit of a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

I cant comment on the company but I will add to the above comment that Waterford in particular does seem to breed some very unambitious and negative people to be found in every office and factory in the city. I have been around a while now so I know the type straight away- still have the exact same mates now as when they were 15 and dossing in the back of the class, just waiting for the age until they left school with no ambition to further themselves and go and work in a pub or shop until the day they die.

Because in Waterford, you get a sizeable core of people who would have to be dragged from the city even if every single shop closed down, they just dont see anything outside the city walls and would prefer to moan about how the place is being destroyed and ignored while downing pints in Geoffs or The Park Inn week after week. Ok so maybe that sounds a tad personal but its how I see a lot of people here. I do love Waterford but the moaning wasters do bring it down a lot. These very people would be struck dumb if you actually challenged them "You seem unhappy here, would you consider moving to Dublin or abroad, maybe broaden your horizons?" <tumbleweed>.

I agree with most of what you say. But two things.

1. Whats wrong with having friends since you were 15? When we reach a specific age are we supposed to ditch our childhood friends and if so at what age did you ditch them?

2. Whats wrong with working in a pub or a shop? I mean we all cant play football professionally or spend 6 years doing an art course most of us have bills to pay and if it means working in a pub or shop so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I work in Bausch & Lomb and I have to say I really like it there. There are a lot of people who have worked there for a long time so I think it's got a real community feel because of this. It's a good place to work and Waterford really is a great place. Just look at the amount of people who have moved here who always chime in in a positive way to threads like this. Unfortunately there are negative people in Waterford and it seems we have more than the average but most people are positive and enjoy all the things this city has going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Waterford is a great place to live.....just dont tell the locals that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Waterford's not so bad really. It's not a city though so don't expect it to be like Dublin/Cork or even Limerick, it is more a town/ large town really.

If you do move there though your rent will be cheap so you should be able to get a nice spot far cheaper than any of the cities.

There's a good few sports clubs about, in the town itself there are a few different restaurants so you have a pick there.

If you like cycling it's a pretty nice place to do that.

The other thing is that if you're working in Engineering you might not end up working with that many Waterford people at all!

Like many things it's what you make of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

People in Dublin think nothing of working in Dublin and living in somewhere by the ea like Dun Laoghaire. That will be a 45 minute drive each way every day.
    In Waterford you can work in the city and live ten minutes away near the beach in somewhere like Dunmore East or Tramore.
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Waterford's not so bad really. It's not a city though so don't expect it to be like Dublin/Cork or even Limerick, it is more a town/ large town really.

If you do move there though your rent will be cheap so you should be able to get a nice spot far cheaper than any of the cities.

There's a good few sports clubs about, in the town itself there are a few different restaurants so you have a pick there.

If you like cycling it's a pretty nice place to do that.

The other thing is that if you're working in Engineering you might not end up working with that many Waterford people at all!

Like many things it's what you make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement