Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee 10 mile race 15th Feb.

Options
  • 07-02-2014 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

http://www.traleemarathon.com/10-mile-road-run.html

Against my moral code of not running what I consider 'expensive' races, I've signed up for the 10 miler in Tralee as part of my Mallow 10 training plan.
    Hopefully it'll be a good event, haven't heard anything about it really, but the course elevation looks decent enough for getting a good time.
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/205181896/
    Bit of a bump between mile 5 & 6 but nicely downhill to mile 9.
    Wonder if there will be many running it?

Mr.W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Hey,

I'm also doing this as part of my prep for Connemara, and well partly because I'm a Tralee native also.

The Born to Run club in Tralee has gained huge popularity in the last year or so. There'll be a fair share doing this as part of the run up to the Tralee marathon on Paddy's weekend. I've run parts of the course before when I've been at home and seems handy enough, just hoping the storms will stay away on the day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

mr.wiggle wrote: »

Against my moral code of not running what I consider 'expensive' races, I've signed up for the 10 miler in Tralee as part of my Mallow 10 training plan.
    Hopefully it'll be a good event, haven't heard anything about it really, but the course elevation looks decent enough for getting a good time.
    Wonder if there will be many running

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

mr.wiggle wrote: »

Wonder if there will be many running it?

Mr.W

Just seen on their Facebook page, 600 places sold out of 800 max. Great turnout if the weather would only cooperate

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

What a lucky break we all got with the weather this morning. Close to perfect running conditions with only a small breeze to contend with in a few spots on the route. For a race with a 30e entry fee it sold out its 800 places I believe. .nutz.
    Fast enough course with only a few small pulls and nice scenery to keep me interested. Thx to the volunteers who made it a flawless event. Delighted with my time a pb of 2mins coming in just over 68 mins. Onwards to Mallow I go with a spring in my step. If the price was right this really would be on my calendar every year.

Mr.W~

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Absolutely blessed with the weather! Great course and organisation. Found it a bit tough going up Barrow hill and at the last stages running along the canal but a few people cheering on gave me the push to kick on. First 10mile race but knocked a good few mins off my best training time so delighted!

Big local turnout great to see running taking off so much in the town. Thanks to the organisers for an enjoyable event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

I ran this race yesterday. While it's great to have 10mile races, there are a few issues that need to be ironed out as 30 euro entry fee is steep for 10miles considering Dungarvan 10 was alot less &flawless.
    1: Stewart's sent runners wrong way, resulting in short course by 0.1
    2: water bottles at d 1st "water" stop were still wrapped in plastic so front runners didn't get any water.
    3: 2nd water station only 3ppl giving out water to 600runner.....
    4. Under foot surface at switchback @start of canal unsuitable for running, uneven, potholes etc due to storm (outside control of organisers)
    5. Prize givings advertised on website for 2pm in Brandon hotel, organisers changed this without notice and decided to give them out randomly At 12.40 at the finish when runner were gone showering etc.
    The above isn't criticism but feedback for future Events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Course was short?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Course was short?

Yeah, they missed a turning in the first mile which meant the course ended up being 9.82-9.9 Garmin miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Echo most of the above... Very enjoyable race all round and a nice course! Apart from one nice pull halfway through gentle enough! Found the changing terrain a little hard to deal with as pointed out elsewhere... There is no reason at all this should cost more than Dungarvan or Mallow. Always find a short course very annoying, especially if it's a stewarding issue! I couldn't figure it out, especially as it was out from the 1st mile so I'm happy now that I know. All in all, an enjoyable race for a first attempt at a 10 miler and one I'll do again, atmosphere and support from locals was excellent... Bring on the half on St Patricks weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Trevster

Hi folks. Just wondering if any shops in Tralee sell Garmin watch chargers? Harvey Norman definitely don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Trevster wrote: »
    Hi folks. Just wondering if any shops in Tralee sell Garmin watch chargers? Harvey Norman definitely don't.

I would say Landers is your best chance, but I don't know if they would have chargers in stock on their own, probably have to order it. What model have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Trevster

JohnDozer wrote: »
    I would say Landers is your best chance, but I don't know if they would have chargers in stock on their own, probably have to order it. What model have you?

Cheers will try anyway. It's a 110

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Trevster wrote: »
    Cheers will try anyway. It's a 110

You will only find them online tbh. Low turnover stock item. Amazon has them or ebay if lucky. Never seen them for sale on their own in a shop.

Advertisement