Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

start menu

Options
  • 08-02-2014 6:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I want to hide my taskbar from my screen but i want the start menu button there so i was just going to make a file to do it but i cant find the code to do it can someone tell me the code please if ye understand what i want.

Thanks
    Luke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭connorfleming

I understand what you want, but I don't really understand why.

Why don't you just hide the taskbar, and when you put the mouse over it will just re-appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

I understand what you want, but I don't really understand why.

Why don't you just hide the taskbar, and when you put the mouse over it will just re-appear.

No becuase I don't want the taskbar there it doesn't look great so if I can make a shortcut to open the start menu the I can just get a cool start menu picture turn of the grid on my desktop so I can place it where.. Its just to try make my desktop look cool :p but I can find the codes anywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

LukeyKid wrote: »
    a shortcut to open the start menu

The start menu button that's on every keyboard?

GarIT wrote: »
    The start menu button that's on every keyboard?

I no it is but I was a shortcut on my desktop :p

Okay i got the code to open my start menu from a .vbs file.

Code:
    set wShell=wscript.createobject("wscript.shell")
    wShell.sendkeys "^{ESC}"
    Set WshShell = Nothing

So just make open notebook put this in and save as "start.vbs" your start menu will open. Works with windows 7 and XP as fair as i know.

This i what i want to happen but i would like to be a "Documents" folder where i can just right click, properties and then chance the icon.if ye can understand me if i could edit this file and put my own icon on it, it would be perfect. or if i could save this code another way so the icon is editable.

Anyone have any ideas ?
    And please don't be asking why go though so much effort and all i jut want to do it.

All help is much appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I can confirm this does work on XP & Win 7. I wonder if it would work on 8? (Don't have it handy to try)

Anyway, to answer your question regarding changing the icon,

Why not put the VB script file in a folder somewhere like Documents and then create a shortcut to it on your Desktop? That will allow you to change the icon on the desktop shortcut, job done ;)

If you are truly looking for the clean look on your desktop? Why no use the "Ctrl + Esc" hot keys to bring up the Start menu?

Throw up a screen shot of your desktop too ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I can confirm this does work on XP & Win 7. I wonder if it would work on 8? (Don't have it handy to try)

Anyway, to answer your question regarding changing the icon,

Why not put the VB script file in a folder somewhere like Documents and then create a shortcut to it on your Desktop? That will allow you to change the icon on the desktop shortcut, job done ;)

If you are truly looking for the clean look on your desktop? Why no use the "Ctrl + Esc" hot keys to bring up the Start menu?

Throw up a screen shot of your desktop too ;)

Thank you :)

And yeah i eventually thought of that i had an angry moment at myself because it was so easy and didn't think of it :L , and then after that once i tried it out after a while of use i didn't like it so i went back to my taskbar but customized it a little :) i just need to have a bit of a different layout because i was sick of the same boring look so just some nice and simple i think works nicely :)

Also i didn't create the Docks or the Theme for window 7.

What are your opinions ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

It's clean for sure ;)

What Docks are you using?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

It's clean for sure ;)

What Docks are you using?

Yeah i like it nice and clean :)

and its object dock plus :)

Advertisement