Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax way too cheap for my car!?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Sobanek wrote: »
    A friend of mine had a 316i with an M3 engine in it.
    The guard couldn't even tell it wasnt a stock engine with the BMW M POWER on the engine...

Id well believe it but not even close to the same situation as OP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

The only obligation the Gards have regarding tax is verifying that the tax is in date.

The actual tax rate is a Revenue problem and is controlled by the county council.

Enjoy your *cough* 1.8 6-pot Golf

mullingar wrote: »
    The only obligation the Gards have regarding tax is verifying that the tax is in date.

The actual tax rate is a Revenue problem and is controlled by the county council.

Exactly!! And if revenue are "only" asking for €636 for whatever reason, so be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ION08 wrote: »
    Exactly!! And if revenue are "only" asking for €636 for whatever reason, so be it!

I had tried to keep out of this but you brave keyboard warriors show such little grasp of the situation - Revenue has nothing to do with motor tax. It is the responsibility of DTTAS and local councils. FFS.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I had tried to keep out of this but you brave keyboard warriors show such little grasp of the situation - Revenue has nothing to do with motor tax. It is the responsibility of DTTAS and local councils. FFS.

And what does that change?

Regardless, I'd still pay the 636 that was requested, pop the tax disc in the window and wouldn't give it another thought as the VR6 serenaded me with its sweet sounds! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

The DTTAS only PROCESS the payment FOR Revenue via the county council motor tax office and online service

Ffs .

Sorry mullingar, misread that! Using my phone :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The DTTAS only PROCESS the payment FOR Revenue via the county council motor tax office and online service

Ffs .

Nope; Revenue is only involved in registering the vehicle and dealing with VRT. While this is a necessary first step in establishing what vehicles are registered in Ireland, they have no actual involvement in motor tax policy, collection etc. Dept of Environment (Big Phil) sets the policy as to what rates to charge, what exemptions to offer etc, DTTAS (Little Leo) has responsibiity for online collection and local councils are responsible for local motor tax offices etc.

Neither Revenue nor the Dept of Finance (their masters) ever see the money as it goes into the Local Govt Fund (again Big Phil's bailiwick). This money is not part of general revenues but is used for local council spending and roads matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Marcusm wrote: »

I think the point was that the gardas responsibility is to check that a car has tax. That imo would be by way of windscreen check or data base search. It is surely not a gardas responsibility to verify the engine cc and check that against the tax disc anymore than its their responsibility to verify if correct co2 emissions rate is being paid on newer cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Axidium

ipuxj6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Look at it this way, if the OP came on another forum and said he got an incorrect income tax bill at the end of the year and chose to ignore what he knew was actually due, would people be encouraging to agree.. . . effectively becoming a tax dodger

It is the same issue here, if he pays the lower amount, it is on the basis that he agrees to live in Ireland with its accompanying motor tax structure, bought a car knowing what the tax on it should be, then is happy to dodge the tax due to an error. Effectively shirking his responsibility to contribute his due share to the community (regardless of whether you think the car tax is fair in Ireland or not - see above, his own informed choices).

The above is obviously based on him ignoring what he knows and accepts is right and just and going on to pay the incorrect figure... I do not know if he has made up his mind or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Thing is, if a Garda pokes around and sees 636 and knows it's a 3.2 litre then you could be in a bit of trouble. If it's a clerical error at the tax office and your log book says 3.2 and it's insured as an r32 then you could just play dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Pay the 636 and say nothing. You would be mad to go fixing this and costing yourself a fortune every year in tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I still have some doubts....are you mechanically competent and knew the kind of car beforehand? Could you post a picture of the old tax disk and maybe the engine bay? I have seen more than one "R32" that, when powered on, revealed they really are a 1.9 TDI. The possibility of the vehicle actually being a 1.8 GTI with a bodykit is there, I'm afraid!

In any case, for it to be taxed as a 1.8, something dodgy happened at some point in the past...

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I still have some doubts....are you mechanically competent and knew the kind of car beforehand? Could you post a picture of the old tax disk and maybe the engine bay? I have seen more than one "R32" that, when powered on, revealed they really are a 1.9 TDI. The possibility of the vehicle actually being a 1.8 GTI with a bodykit is there, I'm afraid!

Well he did state that it is an R32 on the log book, so that possibility would be very very very slim (read: non existent!)

Clutchkick wrote: »
    Nope. it's down as a 3.2 on the book, i even got a full reg check on the car before i bought it and it came up as a 3.2 r32 same goes for insurance.

Well he did state that it is an R32 on the log book, so that possibility would be very very very slim (read: non existent!)

Yes, but then he also said this:
    Originally Posted by dougie-lampkin viewpost.gif
    Check to make sure it's not a 1.8 on the logbook. That could have been changed for tax reasons, the tax rate is for a 1.8 GTI just happens to be €636. If that's the case then you're wasting your money, the tax is null and void by not declaring the right engine size even if it's not your fault. I'd also be making sure the insurance know it's an R32 in this case, as the reg will give them the same information as what the logbook says.
    Actually sorry your right, it is €636, does this mean it's had a different engine at some point?

It's kind of confusing. The car's "description" might be put down as "Golf R32" on the logbook, but what is important is to see what it says in the engine capacity field; I am not 100% sure about how the tax system works, but I doubt the tax rates are entered manually. In such case, it would simply impossible for the logbook to show "3189cc" and a tax rate of 636€ :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

For OP.

1. Did you buy car from a garage or private sale ?
    2. Has the change of ownership gone through. Was the reg cert. sent out to you from shannon or handed to you by previous owner ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

In any case, for it to be taxed as a 1.8, something dodgy happened at some point in the past...

One look under the bonnet should confirm whether its a 1.8 or a 3.2. I seriously doubt the OP has bought anything other than a 1.8. Something dodgy did indeed happen at some point in the past... before the OP owned the car. I say pay it and say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

At the end of the day...

..this thread is useless without pics! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Axidium

Would be really nice if the OP actually replied to some of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

OP, if you bought an R32 and taxed it for €636 please reply below. If you bought a TDi thinking it was an R32 just say nothing, and we'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

Y
    OP, if you bought an R32 and taxed it for €636 please reply below. If you bought a TDi thinking it was an R32 just say nothing, and we'll know.

you can't mistake the sound of a R32 engine for anything else absulately awesome . I wonder did the engine come out of a corrado ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Wrong.

If the incorrect rate of tax is paid the car can be seized under Section 41 of the road traffic act.
    a member of the Garda Síochána is of opinion that any excise duty payable under section 1 of the Finance (Excise Duties) (Vehicles) Act, 1952 , in respect of the vehicle, being a vehicle which is or which the member reasonably believes to be registered in the State, has not been paid in respect of a continuous period of 3 months or more immediately prior to such use.

So if Garda grumpy is of the opinion that you have only paid €600 when you should have paid €1800 tax, your precious R32 can be loaded up on to the back of a tow truck and you will have to pay to get it released. If that happens you can further expect a rake of summonses in the post in a couple of months with a multitude of offences to answer for.

If that is worth a risk of €1200/year to you, go right ahead. Many chancers out there doing the same and getting away with it.

Yes, but then he also said this:

It's kind of confusing. The car's "description" might be put down as "Golf R32" on the logbook, but what is important is to see what it says in the engine capacity field; I am not 100% sure about how the tax system works, but I doubt the tax rates are entered manually. In such case, it would simply impossible for the logbook to show "3189cc" and a tax rate of 636€ :confused:

Yeah would be great to get some sort response / update from the OP

HAHA :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

HAHA :D

You won't confuse a R32 for anything else engine makes a absolutely awesome sound all motor heads here would have their heads swivelling if one went by . I wonder did the engine come out of a corrado vr6 ....

Vikings wrote: »

If that is worth a risk of €1200/year to you, go right ahead. Many chancers out there doing the same and getting away with it.

Its easily worth the risk, I wouldn't even think twice about it. If the car has up-to-date tax, nct and insurance there is almost no chance of this ever being found out.

1200 a year is a serious saving for a very small risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Vikings wrote: »
    Wrong.

If the incorrect rate of tax is paid the car can be seized under Section 41 of the road traffic act.

So if Garda grumpy is of the opinion that you have only paid €600 when you should have paid €1800 tax, your precious R32 can be loaded up on to the back of a tow truck and you will have to pay to get it released. If that happens you can further expect a rake of summonses in the post in a couple of months with a multitude of offences to answer for.

I really really doubt that. If the tax invoice is for 636 and the OP has paid that then no further tax is liable and so there is no outstanding tax. That would be the case until the error is corrected by the relevant authority. Would the OP be liable for back tax then? I don't know but I cant see a seizure happening.

• Advertisement

Or possibly a 1.8 GTI - not bad, but still not an R32 eek.png
    noelf wrote: »
    You won't confuse a R32 for anything else engine makes a absolutely awesome sound all motor heads here would have their heads swivelling if one went by . I wonder did the engine come out of a corrado vr6 ....

You'd be surprised...a proper "motorhead" yeah, won't be fooled (just like I wasn't when I first heard my neighbour fired up his blue "R32", the horrendous "tra-tra-tra-tra-tra" came out of it along with black smoke, revealing itself to be nothing but a transvestite TDi).

To most people, cars are simply "quiet" or "noisy"; Quiet means normal car, noisy means sportscar - regardless of it being a GTI, an R32, a 1.4 Civic with an Halford's fartcan...or a Ferrari F430 biggrin.png

Advertisement