Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elbow in Kilmainham

Options
  • 08-02-2014 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm very excited about going to Elbow in Kilmainham this summer. Anyone go to any of the previous gigs in Kilmainham? What are the gigs like there? Sit down or rock out?

I don't really know what to expect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

I was at blur last year.

1. The sound was awful.
    2. The cue for the bar was 15 mins.
    3. The exits at the end were a death trap.

Oh and rock out.

Maybe they will be after fixing the problems

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

The Leonard Cohen concerts there were outstanding. Sound was great (considering it was outdoors). I was lucky and managed to avoid the rainy gigs. The queues for the bars were pretty long but whether that's a major problem depends on how much drink you want. The seating does go a long way back so you can be a bit far away. And its mainly on one level (small amounts of tiered seating way at the back iirc) so if a few people get dancing in front of you the view gets blocked or else basically everyone needs to get up. That's what happened with LC and from Elbow gigs I've been to that's going to happen with them too.

So basically, hope you have tickets for near the front, keep an eye on Jean Byrne to work out what to wear (and don't forget it can get cold when the sun goes down), get yourself sloshed good and early if that's the way you play, and get dancing (or at least standing) when everyone else does.;)

Enjoy. (I'm off to Elbow in the Marquee this summer myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

dogsears wrote: »
    So basically, hope you have tickets for near the front

Elbow is an all standing gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Ha! Didn't know that. I guess the seating at the LC gigs was just being thoughtful for the crowd ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Any wordn of the support act yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

Anyone know times for tonight?
    Hope the rain stays away.

Weller was on round 21:00 - 22:30 last night, but not sure if Elbow will do same.

Mick Flannery support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Read that there's no parking at the venue. Where's the best place to try find parking nearby? any side streets that I should try first?

As a last resort could I park at Heuston and pay the 9 quid for parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Caliden wrote: »
    Read that there's no parking at the venue. Where's the best place to try find parking nearby? any side streets that I should try first?

As a last resort could I park at Heuston and pay the 9 quid for parking?

Thats my first resort, you will not get safe parking closer. Its 8 quid if you use the park by text thingy. Next best option is Ushers Quay multi-storey and walk up, 15 mins.

Rain has arrived in Dublin, likely to be drizzle or light rain from now till the end of the concert. Possible downpours at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

The most civilised outdoor gig in Ireland I've ever been too!

It was very mellow, very chilled out for the first hour or so but I was wreaked from work from so I didn't mind, lots and lots of banter with the crowd. had to say I loved it. Really didn't think an outdoor venue wouldn't suit Elbow but they made it work.

Highlight for me was My Sad Captain's and Lippy Kids. Great venue, no mud thankfully and practically no queues or beer and to top it off right on my doorstep. Happy out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

lc180 wrote: »

It was very mellow, very chilled out for the first hour or so but I was wreaked from work from so I didn't mind, lots and lots of banter with the crowd. had to say I loved it. Really didn't think an outdoor venue wouldn't suit Elbow but they made it work.

Highlight for me was My Sad Captain's and Lippy Kids. Great venue, no mud thankfully and practically no queues or beer and to top it off right on my doorstep. Happy out

Yea only ever seen them at Oxegen 09????? And thought they were good but didnt really suit that crowd. Think elbow always get a bad rap for being "Too boring " or "too sad" Turn out good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Think elbow always get a bad rap for being "Too boring " or "too sad" Turn out good?

In fairness the lead singer plays up on the bad rap, he ever shut up all gig, even joking when introduction the 'depressing' songs. I thought the turnout was good, I read the article on the Irish Times last week and expected it to be empty but it was well full but still comfortable. One criticism is there is no screens, prob small enough not to need one but would but would be nice for the odd 'crowd shot'.

Managed to get a cheap ticket for Jack White tomorrow so back again tomorrow!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

In fairness the lead singer plays up on the bad rap, he ever shut up all gig, even joking when introduction the 'depressing' songs. I thought the turnout was good, I read the article on the Irish Times last week and expected it to be empty but it was well full but still comfortable. One criticism is there is no screens, prob small enough not to need one but would but would be nice for the odd 'crowd shot'.

Managed to get a cheap ticket for Jack White tomorrow so back again tomorrow!

Yea im heading there on Saturday myself

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

How was Mick Flannery? Big outdoor gig I cant see suiting him but he is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Have to agree with this part. Was an older crowd than most gigs I'd go to but that seemed to mean nobody getting themselves in a complete state and no antisocial behaviour at all. Really enjoyed the gig & the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Great gig last night and weather behaved :-)
    I had never seen Mick Flannery before . Think he would be better in smaller venues - the sound was rather disappointing.

Elbow delivered another performance and Guy Garvey knows how to work the crowd.
    Still buzzing !
    Loved the acoustic rendition of Great Expectations .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Enjoyed the show last night, had got delayed at work and was a bit frazzled by the time we arrived literally just as Elbow were taking to the stage, but I could feel myself chilling out completely during the set!

Nice vibe in the place, I agree about the most civilised crowd Ive ever seen, and was very easy to find gaps to get up near the stage. The food and bars were all nicely scaled too, and the weather drying up just in time was a bonus.

Guy had a great rapport with the crowd alright, but it all seemed to be over very early, down to the venue location I guess.

Would like to see them again in the Olympia or similar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Mushy wrote: »
    How was Mick Flannery? Big outdoor gig I cant see suiting him but he is brilliant!

He was good but the sound setup was underwhelming compared to elbow later fot some reason and some of his quieter/mellow songs were a little bit lost outdoors imo.

Still enjoyable outdoors but I have seen Mick 3-4 times now and an intimate indoor gig definately offers the superior experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Set list anyone? I couldn't go and I already see that they played Great Expectations acoustic. If I hear that they played Scattered Black and Whites, I might just lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Soilse

Gteat night lovely chilled out crowd. Havent been to dub since feb and I admit I dont go to the pub much but shocking to see the majority there were fat not just a gig thing as was in town for the next few days but bloody hell fat and obese

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

bajer101 wrote: »
    Set list anyone? I couldn't go and I already see that they played Great Expectations acoustic. If I hear that they played Scattered Black and Whites, I might just lose it.

Sorry but they did play Scattered Black & Whites ...
    I'll find a way to share the video of Great Expectations to make you feel better :-)

Advertisement