Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50cc moped insurance

• 08-02-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm looking to get a 50cc moped as I'm hoping to move to limerick city and I'm lookin to get one to get to and from college, I'm going to be 19 with a provisional drivers licemce (will do my motorcycle theory test). Any rough ideas how much insurance would be?

Cheers for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

not that easy any more, you'll need to do IBT, even for a moped. See the stickies at the top of the bikes page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Kind of in the same boat myself. I just passed a full car drivers test and have 7 years claim free experience.

Im looking to pick up a bike as ive returned to college and traffic is a disaster.

What do i need in terms of test and choice of bike?

I love the look of a Burgman 250 but wouldnt mind a moped if it was a lot easier. Where talking a 10 minute drive daily. Something without gears is what im after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Kind of in the same boat myself. I just passed a full car drivers test and have 7 years claim free experience.

Im looking to pick up a bike as ive returned to college and traffic is a disaster.

What do i need in terms of test and choice of bike?

I love the look of a Burgman 250 but wouldnt mind a moped if it was a lot easier. Where talking a 10 minute drive daily. Something without gears is what im after.

Theory test for motorcycles

Get your learner permit (Age related)
    'A1' Min age 16 Max 125cc 11kw
    'A2' Min age 18 Restricted category
    'A' Min age 24 Unrestricted category

Complete IBT training course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

So another learner permit, lessons, and a full car license for a moped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

So another learner permit, lessons, and a full car license for a moped?

Yes, theory, learner permit, IBT Course, before you can ride on the road.

If you had held a full car licence category 'B' issued before 21/10/2006 & not expired by more than ten years it would entitle you to ride a category 'AM' moped, max 50cc & max speed 45kmh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cluelez

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Yes, theory, learner permit, IBT Course, before you can ride on the road.

If you had held a full car licence category 'B' issued before 21/10/2006 & not expired by more than ten years it would entitle you to ride a category 'AM' moped, max 50cc & max speed 45kmh.

if I had helf a full car licence category ''B'' issued in 1999 and not expired, would it entitle me to ride category AM moped, max 50cc and max speed 45 kmh?

Or do I still need IBT and permit?

which insurance companies would insure a small moped max 50cc and max speed 45 kmh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cluelez wrote: »
    if I had helf a full car licence category ''B'' issued in 1999 and not expired, would it entitle me to ride category AM moped, max 50cc and max speed 45 kmh?

Or do I still need IBT and permit?

which insurance companies would insure a small moped max 50cc and max speed 45 kmh?

The entitlement to M on B was removed in October 2006, so a licence from 1999 will allow you to ride a moped. Just be aware that not all 50cc bikes are mopeds, if they can exceed 45km/h they aren't a moped.

The 5 companies that insure bikes are in the stickies call them all.

If you have never rode a bike on the road before I'd advise lessons and don't forget to be assertive to keep your road position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

While we're on this subject, I'd appreciate some advice about a licence issue. My brother has a full car licence for the last 25 years, with category M included. Obviously he is over 24. He took out a provisional A licence on 1st nov 2010, which I understand was just prior to new licensing legislation. What steps does he now need to take to be entitled to ride a 125cc scooter on the road?

Advertisement