Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airsoft Comms relay/command station

• 08-02-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,I have had an Idea for some time now.
    I have an old toughbook and our team plays alot of milsims,I thought it would be cool to have some kind of "Battlefield 4 Commander" like program.
    For example.....You set up the program so that you have several squads,the program is set so that each squad is a different frequency/channel on the comms. So when the commander wants to issue an order he clicks "Squad One" and the radio opens up their channel allowing him to transmit to that specific squad and Issue an Order.
    I think those of you who have played BF4's commander mode will know what im talking about.
    I know its not the most needed thing in the world but I still think it would be really cool to set something like this up in a HQ for a Milsim.
    Here is a quick diagram I made up to try show this idea to others.
    sHDw0R1.png

My question is,does something like this already exist or will I have to write my own program?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Digy123 wrote: »
    My question is,does something like this already exist or will I have to write my own program?

The software for this already exists; it's called a radio operator ;)

On a more serious & practical note, how do you overcome the issue of the commander being in the field without a power source from which to keep the laptop charged when it inevitably starts to run low on battery? And do you have a laptop that you are cool with potentially getting hit on the screen by BBs? (it's not pretty when it happens ... )

Interesting idea, if not particularly practical in my opinion and somewhat like commissioning NASA to create a clip to keep your shoe on when a shoelace will do. It is however nice to see players thinking about comms, and how to use them better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Lemming wrote: »
    The software for this already exists; it's called a radio operator ;)

On a more serious & practical note, how do you overcome the issue of the commander being in the field without a power source from which to keep the laptop charged when it inevitably starts to run low on battery? And do you have a laptop that you are cool with potentially getting hit on the screen by BBs? (it's not pretty when it happens ... )

Interesting idea, if not particularly practical in my opinion and somewhat like commissioning NASA to create a clip to keep your shoe on when a shoelace will do. It is however nice to see players thinking about comms, and how to use them better.

Thanks,any chance of a link to that software? I can't seem to be able to find it.
    Also the toughbook has a polymer layer over the screen,iv shot at it before and not a scratch :)
    Since we used them in work i ended up with 6 spare batteries for it too :)

I'm an Idiot.....haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭matty1994

Might i add, how would you know where each squad was in order to give commands? You would need some sort of gps also?

I was kinda thinking that would be a cool extra feature,but the main purpose would be to make it easier issuing commands to alot of units. You don't really have to know where they for example
    Squad 1 has had contact and they radio the commander asking for reinforcements at "x" location
    The commander then radios all squad leaders at once and finds the closest one,he can then rule out friendly fire and send the nearest squad to help.

And lets say the Command Post/HQ is under attack,the commander can then radio the all squads to fall back and reinforce the CP.

GPS would be kickass tho,but id say that would be expensive and difficult to set up,cool idea tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Evade

There's already something similar in the works.

http://www.airsoft-squared.com/post/6561/overwatch-app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭biz96

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

have a look at
    http://maniacbug.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/rf24network/

and
    https://code.google.com/p/panstamp/
    for doing the gps type stuff.

What you are looking at in that case is a mesh network. Give a module to each player and have a couple of them scattered about the field. Then via triangulation you will be able work out position. If you get real fancy with screens and lights you can do all kinds of fancy stuff like issue orders or signal the end of the game. Maybe even use it to complete a task like get 4 of your team into a particular are.

Wow,Freaking awesome!
    I bought a flight case for this project,really want to to that now!!!!
    Here goes the next 2-3 months of my life :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

As much of a fan of gadgets as I am, I can't help but feel this the kind of job that's easier to fulfill with a radio op and a paper map. The entire premise hinges on the commander knowing where everyone is (no point in bringing team A to help team B, when team C is closer, or team B is under strength). GPS would fix that, but the integration of it is non-trivial a task in itself.
    The other major issue is that the system relies on each squad having separate radio frequencies, which means each squad either won't be able to communicate with each other, or they'll need an extra radio. It's creating an unnecessary communication layer, which causes a huge number of issues in its own right.

This kind of task is still best undertaken with a map sheet and a pencil, and decent radio use. If you really want to be fancy, print out your recce map, or Google maps image, laminate it, and use a whiteboard marker.
    No battery worries, no software integration issues, no extra radios, no special equipment needed at all. The more tech you add into something like this, the longer the set up, and the higher the chance of almighty disaster.

I get what you're going for, but it seems like tech for techs sake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement