Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting flame grilled taste indoors?

Options
  • 08-02-2014 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I love nothing more than flame grilled meat, but, due to the amount of smoke, I cannot light up a bbq in the middle of my kitchen.
    And an outdoor bbq would not be very suitable during the winter.
    Is there any way I can get a flame grilled taste indoors? Or if not, would I be able to put a bbq in a shed if I left the door open? As the wind/rain makes it difficult to use a bbq during the winter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,443 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I love nothing more than flame grilled meat, but, due to the amount of smoke, I cannot light up a bbq in the middle of my kitchen.
    And an outdoor bbq would not be very suitable during the winter.
    Is there any way I can get a flame grilled taste indoors? Or if not, would I be able to put a bbq in a shed if I left the door open? As the wind/rain makes it difficult to use a bbq during the winter.
    A griddle pan up to a proper smoking temperature should help, only move the meat once to turn and then finish in the oven

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Indoor bbq is a bad idea due to carbon monoxide. I use a wok gas burner outdoors for char grilling. Like this one

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Roxirose

You can buy a marinade called liquid smoke. Also smoked paprika

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give the liquid smoke marinade a try if I can find it. Do you know where I'd be able to get it? Is it commonly available?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I've often looked for liquid smoke but only ever found it on Amazon, smoked paprika is a good option as suggested, I use Tesco's one but it does add quite a bit of extra heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

You could get a chef's smoke gun, like this one: http://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/polyscience-the-smoking-gun-tm-rechargeable-batteries/prod_5534.html?category=750

You basically fill it with the wood shavings of choice e.g. apple, oak etc. and light it. Put the food e.g. pan-fried meat in a glass bowl and cover with cling film. Pop the nozzle of the gun under the cling film for a few seconds to fill the bowl with smoke, then remove it and seal the cling film edges and let the food sit in the smoke for a few minutes before you finish cooking it if necessary. Saw James Martin with one of these recently on Saturday Kitchen, looked like another fun kitchen gadget!

I have a Weber gas BBQ outside the back door that I periodically fire up in winter. It's in a sheltered corner and has a rain cover to keep it dry when out of use but it isn't otherwise protected from the elements. The flavour is good (not as good as charcoal but better than the hob and less smoke/smell/fat spatters to clean up in the kitchen). If I am really craving a charcoal hit I put a disposable foil tray with some charcoal in it on the BBQ grill surface and cook on it with the lid down to protect the food and coals from wind/rain. It's not as much fun as sitting out with a beer of a summer's evening but it does the job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give the liquid smoke marinade a try if I can find it. Do you know where I'd be able to get it? Is it commonly available?

If you're in Dublin you can buy it in Fallon & Byrne.

Pro Tip: don't spill an entire bottle down your front. That was a stinky day :(

Advertisement