Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit failed for credit and received a call from care

Options
  • 08-02-2014 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,

I just got a call from a person claiming to be a BOI rep, She informed me that my direct debit failed due to changes with SEPA etc. She then said I had the option of a manual payment over the phone or in branch. As I work Monday to Friday 8-6 and 5 miles from a bank going to a branch is not an option so I said do it over the phone. I believing BOI having all my details would just manually try the direct debit again but I had to give details of my visa debit card over. It rang alarm bells as everyone and every bank says don't give details over the phone to people even if they claim to be your bank. She then said I'd be charged interest as payment was late. Why would I be charged interest if its BOIs fault? The number that rang was 056 7778300. Was this a legit call? If the call was legit I don't blame the girl as was as its her job and following procedure but the bank messed up here. There is so much talk about fraud over emails and phone relating to bank details I just didn't trust her. I believed the correct course of action was a call to say payment could be made and it'll happen next month at no cost to you or can we try the direct debit again next week etc. 

Can you let me know please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I think it might have been a scam. Number is coming up as Freshford Kilkenny. There is no branch in Freshford

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Branch

But don't BOI have some base in Kilkenny though? It could be legit as it was an Irish number and sounded official but in saying that what banks works on Saturdays unless its essential services like credit card cancellation services etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Most importantly did you give your card details or not? I hope you didn't.
    Sounds very dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi Branch,

Thanks for getting in contact with us here on boards.

We're sorry to have alarmed you. We have checked with our Credit Card Services team and they were indeed making out bound calls on Saturday regarding some direct debits which have failed to migrate due to SEPA.

We have also confirmed that any interest, fees or charges due to this although will be charged, will be automatically refunded to any effected accounts.

If you would like to call our Credit Card Services team on 1890 251 251, a representative will be happy to discuss this issue further and clarify the legitimacy of this call.

We hope this helps put your mind at rest.

Thanks,
    Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Branch

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for this but I just don't give out my card details. This is my policy as I'm sure its the banks policy too when you log into 365 it says not to give account details etc.

There is a mis match with internal processes here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi Branch,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We completely appreciate your concerns with providing your Visa Debit Card details over the phone. This was an isolated incident and our representatives wanted to ensure any effected customers were aware of the situation and were offered an alternative method to resolve this. Just to mention as you are registered for Bank of Ireland 365Online, you can also transfer this payment to your Credit Card yourself, once it is registered as a payee.  

Once again, we are sorry if we have caused you any upset or inconvenience with this matter.

Thanks,
    Elaine 

Advertisement