Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yogurt ok for toddler with chesty cough?

Options
  • 08-02-2014 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭

Our little fella is almost two and has a chesty cough and a runny nose. Has been to the doc already.

He's gone off his food and will only eat yogurt and red grapes and an occasional biscuit which will have to keep him going for now. He's not drinking very much though which is a worry though he'll happily eat as much yogurt as we give him.
    I'm reluctant to give him too much yogurt as it surely will make him more congested, but what else can I do?
    Anyone have any suggestions, is it ok to give him yogurt considering he is quite snotty and coughing ?
    For the moment i'm trying to give him yogurt early in the day and encouraging his miwadi as much as possible later.

Just want our little whirlwind back :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Normally I'd try to keep my kids away from dairy if they have a chesty cough, but then again, mine would eat anything so it would be easy.
    Your child will only eat the yogurts and grapes while he's sick, so it's hard to make the call isn't it!
    If it were my kids in that situation, I'd probably just let them eat whatever they want, because toddlers can get dehydrated very quickly.
    Would he take a homemade orange juice icepop or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Aww, poor fella. I'd try to keep him off the dairy too if I could.

If he won't drink, want to try some kind of novelty thing, like a straw, or new cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks, he's off to sleep now.
    The juice ice pop is a great idea, he was pulling on the fridge door yesterday asking for ice cream so that might work.

Pwurple its funny you say that - he doesn't like Calpol at all but likes Nurofen so we tried to trick him by putting Calpol into the Nurofen tube thing with the almost disastrous result that he wouldnt take Nurofen next time without a lot of coaxing. But I do think your idea is along the right path - maybe we could just make his yoghurt more like a Yop and mix in a lot of miwadai instead and feed him like its still a yogurt, definitely going to give that a try tomorrow.

We made him chicken and carrots (his favourite - Chinese recipe) with rice tonight and to our delight he ate a little of everything and some of his juice with it and seemed a bit more like his normal self this evening so we are hopeful he's on the up.
    Fingers crossed tomorrow he'll wake up and be hungry as usual!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement