Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steak in Waterford

Options
  • 08-02-2014 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Where would you get a good steak in Waterford and what's the manor bar and grill like ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Where would you get a good steak in Waterford and what's the manor bar and grill like ?

Has that reopened? It had shut its doors at some stage last year I thought?

McLeary's does a nice steak imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Haven't been here yet, but looking forward to trying if out http://www.bleurestaurant.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Mcleaeys ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

dzilla wrote: »
    Mcleaeys ftw

I found them to be pretty average to be honest,nothing special, a steak is a steak after all. not much you can do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

shockwave wrote: »
    I found them to be pretty average to be honest,nothing special, a steak is a steak after all. not much you can do with it.

+1

The old Irish thing, "steak well-done".... Ugh, is this the 80s still?

• Advertisement

and thats your opinion and your entitled to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I take it you have never been to redz or mortons steakhouse in the states

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭billywilly

McLearys on High street....., Chicken o leary is the best steak chef in europe and one hell of a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    Haven't been here yet, but looking forward to trying if out http://www.bleurestaurant.ie

I went to Bleu during the week. Really lovely steak and cooked exactly as requested (med-rare). I'm new to Waterford so I have not been to any of the places mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

McLearys. No contest. Every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The best Steak I have and probably will ever eat was in La Palma on the Mall. It was nearly 5 years ago and I have yet to have some nicer. La Palma is quite expensive and that time was a special family occasion so I haven't been there since but it was really beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

ryanf1 wrote: »
    The best Steak I have and probably will ever eat was in La Palma on the Mall. It was nearly 5 years ago and I have yet to have some nicer. La Palma is quite expensive and that time was a special family occasion so I haven't been there since but it was really beautiful.

Best Steak in city -
    1st - La Palma
    2nd - Greenes
    3rd - Oskars

jennygirl wrote: »
    Best Steak in city -
    1st - La Palma
    2nd - Greenes
    3rd - Oskars

1 - McLearys
    2 - La Palma
    3 - The Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Can't understand the love shown for McLeary's here at all... Have eaten there twice and found the steak grand but nothing special at all... My OH felt the same too.

It was very busy both times so it is obviously very popular... Can't understand why they close on Sunday though

Anyway the best steak I've ever had in Waterford was in La Boheme. Was one of the best steak's I've ever had anywhere

Never tried it in La Palma but have eaten there a few times (other dishes) and wouldn't be returning.

Heard the steak in Bodega is meant to be divine but didn't see it mentioned above

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Case closed.....

7upfree wrote: »
    Case closed.....

McDonalds on the Cork Road is always busy too but I don't think many would agree that they do the best burger and chips in Waterford!

Popularity is no guarantee that they are the best!

No, but a good indicator when compared to other steak houses. They are top of the tree really.

No, but a good indicator when compared to other steak houses. They are top of the tree really.

Given the lack of steak houses in Waterford it's not much of a popularity contest!

At any rate I'm not a fan as my experience wasn't all that special there and others that posted here feel the same.

You obviously are a fan and so are other posters here so I think we can agree to disagree on this.

Your staunch defence of the restaurant does smell a little like a vested interest to me though. Either that or you can't stand people having a different opinion that you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I had a an 8 oz steak with chips and salad and the most excellent double cooked chips in the Halfway House my local tonight,rare, was at least 10 ounces with pepper sauce on the side.
    €14.95 good value and as good a steak as I've had anywhere.

The two pints were just desert.

Fit for F all now though. zzzzzzzz

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I had a an 8 oz steak with chips and salad and the most excellent double cooked chips in the Halfway House my local tonight,rare was at least 10 ounces with pepper sauce on the side.

Didn't realise the half way house did food. Is that only since the Pitch n Foot opened there? Many out there on a Thursday night?

• Advertisement

Didn't realise the half way house did food. Is that only since the Pitch n Foot opened there? Many out there on a Thursday night?

10.00 am to 20.00 seven days a week quite enough at 18.00 this evening

I had a an 8 oz steak with chips and salad and the most excellent double cooked chips in the Halfway House my local tonight,rare, was at least 10 ounces with pepper sauce on the side.

I thought they are only doing carvary. Did you go in on a weeknight

dzilla wrote: »
    I thought they are only doing carvary. Did you go in on a weeknight

No weekday they have a la carte everyday except Sunday, I eat in the front bar find it more cosy.

No, actually. I hate to see two local lads who have worked hard building a good business over the years being dissed on the basis of one "experience".

And I've eaten in steak restaurants across Europe, so it's very easily compared.
    And still comes out top.

Obviously you yourself have a problem with differing opinions, judging by your comments.

This says it better than anyone can. You must be one of the six.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186638-d1986578-Reviews-McLeary_s-Waterford_County_Waterford.html

Nice spot too.

No weekday they have a la carte everyday except Sunday, I eat in the front bar find it more cosy.

Cheers, must take a spin there if its that good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

No, actually. I hate to see two local lads who have worked hard building a good business over the years being dissed on the basis of one "experience".

And I've eaten in steak restaurants across Europe, so it's very easily compared.
    And still comes out top.

Obviously you yourself have a problem with differing opinions, judging by your comments.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186638-d1986578-Reviews-McLeary_s-Waterford_County_Waterford.html

Went to McLeary's once myself - had a steak - it was grand.

Place was jammers so felt a bit cramped, service was good but hurried.

I'd happily go back there, but I'd prefer Emiliano's personally - think the nicest steak I ever had was in there last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

To be honest I wouldn't be trying to prove my point with a website that has the gingerman higher rated than Bodega,L'atmosphere, Goa and Waterford Castle.

I actually agree with you that it probably is IMO the nicest place to get a steak in town. However it definitely isn't anything too special (which seemed to be Lassykk's point) off the top of my head I think Crews in Dungarvan and Ahearns in youghal have nicer steaks for example. There is also supposed to be a place in Cashel that is unreal (the name escapes me) it doesn't take anything away from McLearys but I definitely don't think it's a top top restaurant. Again, this is only in my opinion.

And still comes out top.

I don't believe I have "dissed" the restaurant in any way. I'm not a fan but this thread was based on a request for Steak in Waterford and I gave my opinion. As I said before there are fans of McLeary's on here and there are people who only think it's OK. I'm certainly not trying to run down their business no more than I'm trying to get business for La Boheme or Bodega, which I also mentioned in my original comment.

Your comment "Case Closed" above is what made me reply specifically to your comments. I don't believe my opinion is the right opinion, it's just my opinion. By saying "Case Closed" it came across as if you were right and no one else could say differently.

I didn't leave a review on trip advisor as my experience there was OK, nothing special but not something I'd complain about. The food was fine. Not worth writing a review with just that in it!

And as Ziedth said Trip Advisor is no guarantee of quality either. It's not hard to get your rating bumped up on there either (not that I'm implying that is the case with any of the Waterford resturants).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Can't understand the love shown for McLeary's here at all... Have eaten there twice and found the steak grand but nothing special at all... My OH felt the same too.

It was very busy both times so it is obviously very popular... Can't understand why they close on Sunday though

Anyway the best steak I've ever had in Waterford was in La Boheme. Was one of the best steak's I've ever had anywhere

Never tried it in La Palma but have eaten there a few times (other dishes) and wouldn't be returning.

Heard the steak in Bodega is meant to be divine but didn't see it mentioned above

Not really steak related but have been to mclearys twice and not overly impressed either, their chips and onion rings were dripping with oil it actually made me feel sick and the service their was way too fast which I don't like to see in places, for me the place is overrated tbh

Advertisement