Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What pay scale should I be on? Pre 2011??

Options
  • 08-02-2014 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I graduated from college as a secondary school teacher in June 2012. In 2007/2008 prior to returning to college i worked in a primary school as a substitute teacher. As i worked for the department of education pre 2011 does that mean I am entitled to be on the old pay scale rather than the new pay scale for NQT's? (Keep in mind i was unqualified when I was doing the substitute work and it was with the primary sector not secondary?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I'm in the exact same position as you. Qualified secondary teacher since 2011, subbed unqualified in a primary school back in 2008 and I am on the pre 2011 payscale. Rang payroll when I graduated, explained my situation, told them my payroll number from my department payslips from my subbing, and no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

As per the post above, you're on the pre 2011 scale or at least you should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 orla brennan

Ah brilliant guys,thats great news. They've tried to tell me that the work i did doesnt count because i wasnt qualified at the time and because it was primary school and im a secondary school teacher. Think i might still have an old pay slip, i'll fish it out and send it in to them. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REPLYING....never used boards.ie before but its great! Orla

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

Moody_mona wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same position as you. Qualified secondary teacher since 2011, subbed unqualified in a primary school back in 2008 and I am on the pre 2011 payscale. Rang payroll when I graduated, explained my situation, told them my payroll number from my department payslips from my subbing, and no problem.

I'm the same! The subbing only counts if you were department paid though.

Ah brilliant guys,thats great news. They've tried to tell me that the work i did doesnt count because i wasnt qualified at the time and because it was primary school and im a secondary school teacher. Think i might still have an old pay slip, i'll fish it out and send it in to them. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REPLYING....never used boards.ie before but its great! Orla

I subbed primary as unqualified, it was dept paid, but I qualified secondary in 2011 and I'm on the old scale so check out who paid you as per the previous poster as it will impact on your pension entitlement too.

• Advertisement

It was 100% the department of education that i was paid by.U'r all so helpful which is very much appreciated. Im going to ring them first thing on monday morning and ill even send them in an old payslip to prove it. 1 more question does any1 know wat rate i will start on? I have an honours degree with a hdip?

I'm the same! The subbing only counts if you were department paid though.

I'm about 90% sure that I've had this conversation with you on another thread! I subbed primary unqualified pre 2011, qualified secondary post 2011, on the pre 2011 payscale.

It was 100% the department of education that i was paid by.U'r all so helpful which is very much appreciated. Im going to ring them first thing on monday morning and ill even send them in an old payslip to prove it. 1 more question does any1 know wat rate i will start on? I have an honours degree with a hdip?

Check the tui or asti website for payscale. Because you weren't in receipt of hdip or degree allowance before Feb 2012 you might not qualify to receive these now.

Sorry wasnt me, ive never used a form before but i most defo will be using it infuture its great. Thanks for all your help as soon as i get an end result i will keep you posted. THANKS AGAIN, orla

It depends on when you started as a qualified teacher due to the recent increment delay. And regardless of whether or not you had the dip at the time, you get that allowance. As I said I was in the same position and got it as did many of my colleagues.

• Advertisement

I started in sept 2012 as a qualified teacher.

I started in sept 2012 as a qualified teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

here's the circular paragraph 14 wouldn't fill me with hope since you qualified in 2012 as different rules might have applied in 2011 since the above posters all qualified then. Previous to 2012 there wasn't a distinction between qualified/unqualified as allowances were separated but now with the merged scale I don't think things are as clear cut and all post 2012 newly qualified candidates seem to go on the new scales. It's unlikely that payroll got it wrong but let us know how you get on as it'll be a reference for teachers in the future.

appendix 5 is pretty clear and have it covered both ways (1)unqualified(2) not appropriately qualified for the sector ie primary/secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Mendoza

Any idea how Orla got on? I got my post-primary dip in 2010 and an Master in 2011 but couldn't get my foot in a door till sept 2012.

I had done a days subbing as a teacher in a primary school in 2008.

Any chance for myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

just double checking for a friend of mine, if you get the degree allowance are you on the old scale? she subbed for a while primary years ago about 2008/09 and secondary from 2010 in VEC, dip got in 2013. She sent in a statement of service and she got the degree allowance added to her wage slip recently with back pay. she did a masters in 2010-12 but isn't being paid for that which she understands because it was passed the date.

so is she on the old scale then?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    just double checking for a friend of mine, if you get the degree allowance are you on the old scale? she subbed for a while primary years ago about 2008/09 and secondary from 2010 in VEC, dip got in 2013. She sent in a statement of service and she got the degree allowance added to her wage slip recently with back pay. she did a masters in 2010-12 but isn't being paid for that which she understands because it was passed the date.

Probably on the middle scale. Post 2011, pre 2012. She gets an allowance for a BA and nothing more. Still, better to be on that scale then the post 2012.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Mendoza wrote: »
    Any idea how Orla got on? I got my post-primary dip in 2010 and an Master in 2011 but couldn't get my foot in a door till sept 2012.

I had done a days subbing as a teacher in a primary school in 2008.

Any chance for myself?

Was that days subbing department paid and do you have a payslip for it??

Pinkycharm wrote: »

Agree with the above but make sure your friend isn't getting the masters allowance. I ended up getting it, even though I wasn't entitled to it and then they asked for it back. On the payslip it says Degree Allowance regardless of it being BA, MA or PhD.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Mendoza

dory wrote: »
    Was that days subbing department paid and do you have a payslip for it??

Don't have a payslip for it but I did get a history of service statement from primary payrolls and it's listed there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Agree with the above but make sure your friend isn't getting the masters allowance. I ended up getting it, even though I wasn't entitled to it and then they asked for it back. On the payslip it says Degree Allowance regardless of it being BA, MA or PhD.

Just a wee point to note, they changed it to take the date you started the masters as opposed to the date you got your final result.

• Advertisement

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Just a wee point to note, they changed it to take the date you started the masters as opposed to the date you got your final result.

Hmmm well I don't think it will make a difference to me unfortunately. My MA is from years ago (finished 2009) but as I started teaching in 2012 I was beyond the date. I luckily got on the old pay scale but as I hadn't been getting allowances for my unqualified subbing I never got them. Presume the above change wouldn't apply to me so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hmmm well I don't think it will make a difference to me unfortunately. My MA is from years ago (finished 2009) but as I started teaching in 2012 I was beyond the date. I luckily got on the old pay scale but as I hadn't been getting allowances for my unqualified subbing I never got them. Presume the above change wouldn't apply to me so?

I dunno, that's a funny one, have a read of the exemptions for the terms and conditions when the cut came in! If you are on the old payscale then I think you'd have a shot. Is it registered on your Teaching Council profile when you log in?
    Might be worth ringing the union as they might have similar cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Just jumping on this thread.
    I'm just wondering how often do you move up a point on the payscale? I graduated in 2015 and worked a full year last year. Am currently working my full second year. I'm just wondering if I should be on point 2 at this stage?
    TIA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how often do you move up a point on the payscale? I graduated in 2015 and worked a full year last year. Am currently working my full second year. I'm just wondering if I should be on point 2 at this stage?
    TIA.

You move up a scale for each year you work. It's supposed to change automatically, but every time my wife noticed she should have gone up a level she needs to contact the payroll section and she gets back pay and put on the correct level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

TIA.
    Increments are frozen for ASTI members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

You move up a scale for each year you work. It's supposed to change automatically, but every time my wife noticed she should have gone up a level she needs to contact the payroll section and she gets back pay and put on the correct level.

Looks like I should be on point 2 so then. Thanks a million for your help!
    Mardy Bum wrote: »

I'm not in the union. Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Looks like I should be on point 2 so then. Thanks a million for your help!
    Mardy Bum wrote: »

I'm not in the union. Thanks though.

You have to work 600 hours to move up as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Increments are also frozen for non-union members in Voluntary schools, Community and Comprehensive schools and ETB designated community colleges.

And what about the HRA increment delay where increments take 15 months instead of 12? Would that affect someone completing their first year of service just as HRA ended? I'm not sure on that.

Advertisement