Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco wrong price

Options
  • 08-02-2014 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Today when I was in tesco doing my shopping I picked up a bottle of dry shampoo which I tough at 1.50 was very good price so I checked the price tag below and matched towards the item just in case that that price was for another item. When I went to pay I was charge 5.99 so I went to the customer service desk and they told me that the item was different to the price tag below. I pointed out that the name and description of the product was exactly the same as the item and the tesco shop assistant told me that the bar code numbers below on the price tag didn’t match the item’s bar code:eek:. So the description didn’t make any difference because the bar code was different. The girls in customer service asked me if I still want the item or not, she offered me a refund the cost, but not the “double the difference”. I had another experience with a three pack shirt with the wrong price sticker on it, I also didn’t get double the difference back but today I was quite angry as in the future I will have to spend two hours in tesco doing my shopping matching the bar code of the item towards the price tag in order to know how much I am paying for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

It does matter, each product on a shelf has to have a valid SEL (Shelf Edge Label).

Tesco are usually very good with this manner of complaint and if their SEL layout is misleading they will usually refund you the difference without hassle (or double the difference if that's still their policy [haven't had to complain in a while myself]). You should keep complaining about this sort of stuff with Tesco, ask to see the section manager if the service desk staff are unhelpful. On the off chance the manager fobs you off ask to see the store manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 gj777

just to note that retailers don't have a legal obligation to charge you the price on the shelf, just the price at the till. If they say at the till 1.50 then charge you 6 and if you comlplain and don't get a refund - then they're at fault. But most retailers will never get that far, or have no prob refunding or are super nice like Tesco and offer you the difference, then they shouls correct the (usually honest) mistake with the shelf price. It's called 'invitation to sell'.
    Most people aren't really aware the retailer isn't at fault until a misleading price has been *charged*. Sadly in places like Tesco where ppl are buying lots of things it does mean being extra vigilant while shopping, but if you notice once you've left the store and you have receipt it's usually fine to still get refunded still.

I'll Echo what gj says there is not legal obligation for them to honor the mis-price. That's determined by their store-policy. However retailers are expected to maintain certain responsibilities in regard to their pricing.

This is from the National Consumer Agency's Page. They have a big campaign about naming and shaming shops with consistent over pricing/bad SEL practices
    Rules on pricing - Pricing Rules

Shops and service providers must display their prices, and there are rules on how they must be displayed. You have the right to clear and accurate information on the prices of goods and services so that you can compare prices and make informed choices.

Prices for goods sold in shops in Ireland are not controlled by law. This is to allow competition between traders and service providers so that you can buy at the best price for you.

All prices must be in euro but it is not against the law for traders to also display prices in other currencies, or to charge a higher price in one country compared to another.

Traders are required to ensure that prices displayed are accurate and not misleading. Put simply, the price displayed must be the same as the price charged at the till. This also applies to special offers.

If you find goods on sale with no price displayed or with the wrong price displayed, you should tell the seller and also contact us.

Mistakes can happen!

If a shop incorrectly labels something with the wrong price, and it is lower than the price charged at the till, you do not have an automatic right to buy the goods at the marked price. As long as the seller tells you before your money is taken that the higher price applies, you can decide not to buy it.

The NCA have been successful in securing convictions against Tesco for over-pricing in the past too. On 19 September, Tesco Ireland Ltd was convicted in the Dublin District Court for a breach of the Consumer Protection Act, 2007.

The National Consumer Agency (NCA) brought a prosecution in relation to eight alleged breaches of the Consumer Protection Act (in relation to the misleading practice of charging higher prices for a range of products than that displayed) and one alleged breach of product pricing regulations (for failing to display the price of a product).

The NCA are real hard asses with this stuff.
    http://www.consumerhelp.ie/index.jsp?a=544&n=405&p=121

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

maria11 wrote: »
    Today when I was in tesco doing my shopping I picked up a bottle of dry shampoo which I tough at 1.50 was very good price so I checked the price tag below and matched towards the item just in case that that price was for another item. When I went to pay I was charge 5.99 so I went to the customer service desk and they told me that the item was different to the price tag below. I pointed out that the name and description of the product was exactly the same as the item and the tesco shop assistant told me that the bar code numbers below on the price tag didn’t match the item’s bar code:eek:. So the description didn’t make any difference because the bar code was different. The girls in customer service asked me if I still want the item or not, she offered me a refund the cost, but not the “double the difference”. I had another experience with a three pack shirt with the wrong price sticker on it, I also didn’t get double the difference back but today I was quite angry as in the future I will have to spend two hours in tesco doing my shopping matching the bar code of the item towards the price tag in order to know how much I am paying for it.

I am so careful when shopping at Tesco. Their cat food labelling is priceless! At this stage, I have to check the barcode and not rely on their shelf labels-I really do look like a wild cat woman crosschecking the products. I suspect that an element of their mislabelling is done purposefully. Must say that I have NEVER had any such issues with Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I find Tesco are absolutely atrocious when it comes to labelling on shelves. Unless I need something specific that only Tesco have, I just don't shop there as it is such a headache checking labels with products, and then having to go to Customer Service when the prices are different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭maria11

Thanks for all the feed back. I understand the legal position but I thought Tesco had an in house policy on incorrect pricing.
    elfy4eva wrote: »
    I'll Echo what gj says there is not legal obligation for them to honor the mis-price. That's determined by their store-policy. However retailers are expected to maintain certain responsibilities in regard to their pricing.

This is from the National Consumer Agency's Page. They have a big campaign about naming and shaming shops with consistent over pricing/bad SEL practices

The NCA are real hard asses with this stuff.
    http://www.consumerhelp.ie/index.jsp?a=544&n=405&p=121

Thanks for all the feed back. I understand the legal position but I thought Tesco had an in house policy on incorrect pricing.

They do indeed. Your encounter would not be standard practice for Tesco across the board, at least not from my own experiences. I would guess it's more than likely a poorly trained assistant or manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - don't turn this into a general bashing thread on Tesco price errors. We've had plenty of those threads in the past.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

In terms of customer service, I think if the description and the weight are the same that should be enough, cross referencing a barcode should not be required.

I'd say complain to customer services and argue that you should have gotten double the difference:

Email: customer.services@tesco.ie

@CelticRambler - I've deleted your post as it was off-topic and bordering on fraudulent or unethical

@anewme - I've deleted your post as it went against the thread warning I had issued earlier

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

Any one know what Tesco's policy is when they charge you more than the price on the shelf ? Is it to refund the difference or is it double the difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Double the difference, should be a sign behind the customer service desk.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Double the difference, should be a sign behind the customer service desk.

Yeah that's what I thought but the past few times that the price charged was higher than the price displayed , I just got the difference refunded ! Hmmmmm must speak up next time and see what they say ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

shivers27 wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I thought but the past few times that the price charged was higher than the price displayed , I just got the difference refunded ! Hmmmmm must speak up next time and see what they say ...
    When did you bring it to their attention? Afaik the "double the difference" policy only applies if you've already paid for the goods and bring it to their attention afterwards. If you tell them before the bill is totalled they'll just refund the ordinary difference.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    When did you bring it to their attention? Afaik the "double the difference" policy only applies if you've already paid for the goods and bring it to their attention afterwards. If you tell them before the bill is totalled they'll just refund the ordinary difference.

I had already paid for the items and then checked the receipt. Over charged so straight to customer service, all I got was the difference. That's happened a good few times recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I do find that Tesco can have quite a few pricing errors, I guess it can be expect to a degree with such a large range of products and SEL's.

I will say that they have always been very happy to sort out any errors when they have been highlighted to them.

I was in a branch recently and they had the movie meal deal for €15. Which is a DVD , Pizza, Drinks & Ice Cream. The hobbit DVD was priced at €25 and had the big night in included on the SEL. It didnt scan in as part of the offer but when they saw the SEL they honoured it no problem.

Got €10 off the DVD and free Pizza / Ice Cream / Drinks :)

@Tzardine please note my earlier warning not to turn this into a general Tesco bashing/discussion thread. We've had plenty of those here before.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

dudara wrote: »
    @Tzardine please note my earlier warning not to turn this into a general Tesco bashing/discussion thread. We've had plenty of those here before.

dudara

Sorry, I wasnt bashing them. I didnt see your post about discussing them.

Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I think if the description and the weight are the same that should be enough, cross referencing a barcode should not be required.
    +1

I tough at 1.50 was very good price so I checked the price tag below and matched towards the item just in case that that price was for another item.
    If I see an unusually good price I do check the barcodes, you only need the last few digits, the starting numbers are often he same if its the same brand.

I pointed out that the name and description of the product was exactly the same as the item
    How detailed were the descriptions?, did it clearly state the volume/weight of the product and an exact reference to distinguish it from a range. e.g. if there was a "head & shoulders dry" and "head & shoulders standard" then a description of just "head & shoulders" would have me checking barcodes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement