Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing creamed coconut in Korma

Options
  • 08-02-2014 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be making Korma for dinner, but am finding creamed coconut hard to get. I don't really want to traipse all the way to the Asia Market and I was wondering if I could substitute coconut milk for the creamed coconut and water in the recipe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I prefer to use desiccated coconut myself but that's probably just as elusive..?

How about scraping the chocolate off a Bounty? :P

You can of course use Coconut milk..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I prefer to use desiccated coconut myself but that's probably just as elusive..?

How about scraping the chocolate off a Bounty? :P

You can of course use Coconut milk..

I could try if Tesco have it in the baking section, or is it usually hard to find?

I normally get it in Supervalu, but I'm sure Tesco have it too. It's generally in the baking section.

Otherwise Coconut Milk will suffice, but it can vary in quality. I'm told Dunnes sell a good brand but the name escapes me!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks for that!

No worries, just don't use loads of it or you will have a big bowl of mushy coconut. Cream/yoghurt etc. for texture is obviously a good idea if using it.

Otherwise stick to coconut milk!

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

When I make the cooking club Korma, which calls for stock and coconut cream, I always substitute a can of coconut milk and a Knorr stockpot.

Advertisement