Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what should i charge for child minding?

Options
  • 08-02-2014 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hello, I am a 19 year old student and was recently asked to childmind for a family i currently babysit for. It would be for two days a week from 2 pm until 7pm in their own home. The two children are of school going age and I would be collecting them from school (which is in walking distance) and cooking dinner. I charge 8 euro an hour when babysitting and was just wondering if i should charge less for this new job? thank you very much for your time!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I think 5 euros an hour is about the going rate...

That's what we pay our childminders for collecting our child from school and taking care of her until we collect her

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If it's in the children's home, not your own one, then you are domestic employee, not a childminder.

We have another thread about this issue here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057139916

The only real advice we can give is "at least minimum wage" - which is less than you might think given that you may not have 1 year's paid work experience since turning 18.

I think 8 is a fair ask for two kids of school going age.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

boobar wrote: »

That's what we pay our childminders for collecting our child from school and taking care of her until we collect her

wow :o you were so lucky to get your childminders that would do that for 5 euro an hour

op ,the going rate is 8 euro per hour, 8 is definitely reasonable as its collecting them + dinner included.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭d-don

Jesus Christ ... You stingy recession using sponge . €5 ... I'm in shock .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

Mine is 5 an hour and fully flexible.

Anymore and there would be no point working. Plus its really just watching telly most of the day for a fiver an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Mine is 5 an hour and fully flexible.

Anymore and there would be no point working. Plus its really just watching telly most of the day for a fiver an hour.

That's fairly disgraceful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 detective monkfish

Minimum wage minus tax, that's what my girlfriend is on. Sounds fair considering you get to watch tv for most of the day.

Our Year wrote: »
    That's fairly disgraceful.

Why? When I asked how much was the service, this is what I was told.

If the childminders sets the rate, what's the issue? Just to put it in context the childminders looks after 3 school going children at this rate, one of them happens to be mine.

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    wow :o you were so lucky to get your childminders that would do that for 5 euro an hour

op ,the going rate is 8 euro per hour, 8 is definitely reasonable as its collecting them + dinner included.

A number of childminders in the area offered me this rate. I suppose it's down to supply and demand.

The childminders that looks after my child, looks after a number of children, she's quite open about the fact that she feels she makes enough money to make it worthwhile.

• Advertisement

d-don wrote: »
    Jesus Christ ... You stingy recession using sponge . €5 ... I'm in shock .

It's nothing to do with being stingy. Very colourful language, by the way. Maybe you mixed this forum up with After Hours.

With childminding, you look for someone that you trust with your child.

Then you ask what rate they want - and that's the rate I was told, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

It's nothing to do with being stingy.

With childminding, you look for someone that you trust with your child.

Then you ask what rate they want - and that's the rate I was told, simple as that.

Yeah same with me. I have a mature woman looking out for mine. She stated the terms and she was very glad of the work.
    Tax and all that. I don't know. I don't care. All parties are happy.

I drop my child to her house . Great for nights out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

According to the details in the OP's first post, this thread is NOT about childminding (caring for other people's children in your own home). It is about being a domestic employee in the children's own home.

So all the posts about rates for childminding (which is subject to totally different laws and tax regimes) are sweet - but totally irrelevant. And some responses to them are clearly from people who are confused and comparing the rates quoted with taxable wage rates.

So - please keep it civil, and on-topic, viz not about childminding. No swearing / cursing and no back-seat modding.

Thank you.

Advertisement