Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone show me a seating plan of the old Point Theatre?

Options
  • 08-02-2014 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Or a picture of all the seats would be grand. I was never in The Point and I'd like to see how it compares to The o2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Don't have a seating plan, it was standing downstairs with seats at the back and sides.

As for how it compares, it had so much atmosphere and history, i know it was a kip but when it was sold out, with a top band the atmosphere couldn't be beaten at all, and i've been in some of the top venues around Europe.

The new Point (O2) is soulless, sure it's state of the art and all seats have a great view, but it lost all of it's atmosphere, i guess thats the price we have to pay for having a new shiny

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

There was seating downstairs for some events.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I can't seem to find a pic.

it was a rectangular barn. the standing area was a large open expanse at the center - about the size of a gaa pitch iirc. it had elevated seats along the sides and back - about 20 rows along the sides I'd guess, more at the back. it had ground level seats at the back that came up to meet the elevated seats.

it was a pretty terrible venue, truth be told, great memories though. . .getting a drink could be mental at times

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E3RxysQ43yU

there was both all seating or a mix of seating at the back and standing on the ground floor depending on who or what was on. It was a fantastic venue saw a huge amount of bands there. I dont have any photos and the only video I can think of that has some views of it is this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Mr.S wrote: »
    There was seating on the ground floor?

From my memories it was always the ground floor was all standing and then there was the upper level which was seating all the way around the sides and back!

Seating wise, the o2 is much much much much better. Standing in the Point was amazing and had great atmosphere, and while its good in the o2 its not really the same!

Overall prefer the o2 though.

This was the best I could find:

http://osheaphotography.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/the-o2-25-96w.jpg

The stage was the bottom right

or this

http://osheaphotography.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/the-o2-at-25-2013-011w.jpg

View from the stage.

Nope - definitely seating on the ground floor on occasion - I'm thinking back to a Van Morrison gig there back in 1989

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

The old point, if it was a fully seated gig would have seats across the ground floor numbered from left to right 72 to 10 in three different sections.

The three blocks of seats in Sections A on the ground floor were numbered and divided as as follows in the three different blocks of seats.

In the left hand side block as you face the stage, the seats were numbered 72 to 52 from left to right , then 51 to 31 in the centre block and then 30-10 on the right hand side.

Sentence edited to reflect the detail Sugarman has posted above:
    The blocks on the ground floor were listed as Blocks A flat seating, and Block B was the section of tiered seating at the back of the ground floor

whenever I was there the seats in Block A were numbered 72 to 10 across from left to right

Block A, with seats numbered from 72 to 10 across, had rows of seats from A to Z down, then behind that a second section of Block A listed as AA to ZZ and then a third section with seats, again 72 to 10 across in the three blocks, but with rows AAA to EEE.

(I think that is correct!:))

Sentence edited to reflect the detail Sugarman has posted above : The Balcony was blocks of seats at the back and sides listed as blocks C, D and E.

I can't remember how many rows of seats there was on the balcony, but from memory about 15 rows at least?

On the odd occasion, the seating on the ground floor would be tiered, for example in 2005 when Planxty played there.

thanks to sugarman for including the seating plan

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

point-depot.jpg
    point-festival-of-life-IMG_5883-350.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

JamieHP wrote: »
    point-depot.jpg
    point-festival-of-life-IMG_5883-350.jpg

what gig was this, it's a great photo

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

what gig was this, it's a great photo

Haven't a clue, just googled it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

It's Brian Wilson according to the photographers website.

http://www.fantasyjackpalance.com/fjp/photos/composites/0code/point-depot.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

scudzilla wrote: »
    Don't have a seating plan, it was standing downstairs with seats at the back and sides.

As for how it compares, it had so much atmosphere and history, i know it was a kip but when it was sold out, with a top band the atmosphere couldn't be beaten at all, and i've been in some of the top venues around Europe.

The new Point (O2) is soulless, sure it's state of the art and all seats have a great view, but it lost all of it's atmosphere, i guess thats the price we have to pay for having a new shiny

hopefully it might build its own atsmophere , to you it might not be the same but to others and younger people, they might have the same experience as you did with the point for the o2 :) ! i caught the last few years of the point and it was a great venue but was so dated and a kip , i hated seating when in the point :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

There has been several gigs from The Point filmed for DVD.

Seal, Gary Moore & David Bowie and amonst others.

Go onto youtube and seek them out and you'll see what it was like.

Ive been to approx 70 gigs at the Point.

It wasn't a kip. RDS simmonscourt is a kip.

However, it was an absolute nightmare to get in and out of the toilets and the que's at the bars could be ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

poundhound wrote: »
    There has been several gigs from The Point filmed for DVD.

Seal, Gary Moore & David Bowie and amonst others.

Go onto youtube and seek them out and you'll see what it was like.

Ive been to approx 70 gigs at the Point.

It wasn't a kip. RDS simmonscourt is a kip.

However, it was an absolute nightmare to get in and out of the toilets and the que's at the bars could be ridiculous.

Totally agree on Simmonscourt. It would take Freddie mercury or Elvis to get me back to that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Really is a far cry from the o2, it's hard to believe they're the same venue. Definitely makes me appreciate having the o2 seeing these pictures. Though, I do agree it does seem to have a lot more personality than the o2, which I've always seen as very much a lifeless shell. But I definitely appreciate it in the fact that it's fantastically designed and is definitely a huge improvement on the point based on what I've seen on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'm astonished anyone who posts on this site doesn't remember what the old venue looked like. It only seems like yesterday that I was going there to see Green Day and Velvet Revolver and acts like that...I even worked security for a handful of gigs at the venue including one from the late Pavarotti

My first gig in the 02 was in September 2010, after being away for a few years, I came to see that Guns N' Roses gig where he walked off after 20 minutes. Went to see Guns N' Roses there again in 2012 funny enough - though living abroad means I don't normally travel to Dublin to see a band.

My greatest memory about any gig at the Point was the long walk down the dock's from O'Connell St...no LUAS extension, oh no, you walked like everybody else down beside the river and braved whatever weather there was. I visited Dublin a few months back and went to see a film at the Odeon there with my parents, couldn't believe how empty the place looked and how few people were in the cinema or it's surrounding area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

slightly off topic but to continue the tones of nostalgia for the Point, my best memory was packed in up the front as the Prodigy took to the stage on New Year's Eve 1994...my worst memory was about 1 hour later walking back along the quays towards town in a sweat soaked t-shirt absolutely frozen...great memories though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Here's a video of a song played live in The Point in 2003 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2qropamBjI

Advertisement