Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Daniel Bryan the most over wrestler since Stone Cold? *spoilers*

• 08-02-2014 10:03pm
    Site Banned Posts: 433 ✭✭

Every January I find my inner teenager coming back to life as I get back into watching WWE for the buildup to Mania and every year I find myself saying "who's this guy?!" with at least one member of the roster.

This year, without a doubt, its Daniel Bryan.

Is he the most over wrestler since Stone Cold? I would lean emphatically towards "YES!"

Is Daniel Bryan the most over wrestler since Stone Cold? 12 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

He's the most over, but not on the same level as Stone Cold

For example he's not a mainstream star yet, none of my non wrestling friends know who he is, and when i showed bits of him, they still can't understand why he's so popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

WHAT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think people forget just how over Cena was as he was during face during his rapper era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,509 ✭✭✭✭CSF

He will get there. He will never be a film star or a general celebrity but in terms of the IWC, I think he will reach unprecedented levels of popularity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

In the arena likely elsewhere simply no is the bitter truth.

The reason they don't seem to solidify him as a top guy is that he is marginally below the threshold of the big push in terms of moving numbers: ratings, attendance, PPV, merchandise, Twitter followers.

I won't argue the idea that how WWE's presents him does help that. But the numbers are the issue and WWE is making a business decision in pushing the Batistas over him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

he won't get near Cena but no reason for him not to be best of the rest (excluding Batista and part timers)

Orton, Punk, Sheamus despite been pushed hard don't appeal to as many as D Bryan does so yeah he can be do very well for himself in the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Em, wasn't the Rock the most over wrestler since Stone Cold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,509 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I've always been confused. Who are all these people who love Cena? I don't know them!!! Surely kids would be easily swayed towards Daniel Bryan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

What do you mean by over?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

rovert wrote: »
    In the arena likely elsewhere simply no is the bitter truth.

The reason they don't seem to solidify him as a top guy is that he is marginally below the threshold of the big push in terms of moving numbers: ratings, attendance, PPV, merchandise, Twitter followers.

I won't argue the idea that how WWE's presents him does help that. But the numbers are the issue and WWE is making a business decision in pushing the Batistas over him.

I suppose they are a business and it comes down to numbers. Both Punk and Bryan never drew the big buyrates when they headlined, and obviously they don't shift merch like Austin did.

But Austin was big in a time when internet use was in it's infancy. The reason buyrates are suffering is because many fans today watch for free through whatever means online. I don't see the Network putting a stop to this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I suppose they are a business and it comes down to numbers. Both Punk and Bryan never drew the big buyrates when they headlined, and obviously they don't shift merch like Austin did.

But Austin was big in a time when internet use was in it's infancy. The reason buyrates are suffering is because many fans today watch for free through whatever means online. I don't see the Network putting a stop to this problem.

how often would you go onto youtube looking at classic matches or moments ? WWE will get a lot more serious on youtube soon, even removing stuff from their own channel id imagine. this will mean the only way to watch the old WWE will be through the network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Rock and Cena are the most over since Austin.Until Bryan's Yes schtick equates into money,the answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The reason buyrates are suffering is because many fans today watch for free through whatever means online. I don't see the Network putting a stop to this problem.

That would account for a tiny percentage. The sad fact is most of the old fans dont watch at all anymore. WWE's ratings are roughly half now. You cant blame that on people who watch online.

• Site Banned Posts: 433 ✭✭Donegal Dan

Em, wasn't the Rock the most over wrestler since Stone Cold?

Wasnt he over during the exact same time as Stone Cold? (comebacks aside).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Not Austin level's yet but he's the biggest face they've had that the fan's actually care about since Austin/Rock.

They need to let him run with it, give him cooler T-shirts, put the belt on him for a few months. We all know he's the best in Ring wrestler out of all the guy's mention so him performing in the ring won't be a problem. Let's see how it goes, he hasn't be given enough crack of the whip to say if he's a draw. The haters who love the bodybuilder types will sprout the crap he's not a draw.

I agree he's the most over superstar since Stone cold for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,297 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wasn't Jeff Hardy very much over at one time, his pops were huge

I don't know anyone on the current roster who gets a pop like Bryan does

Yes is the new What :p

He's the most over, but not on the same level as Stone Cold

For example he's not a mainstream star yet, none of my non wrestling friends know who he is, and when i showed bits of him, they still can't understand why he's so popular

Cause he's F*cking AWESOME!!!

He's not a bodybuilding muscle man who's HHH buddy or one of Vince's hard on projects who he rams down our throats. He's a likeable guy you can't help but root for. He's the best in ring worker and the heir to HBK's title of the Showstopper WWE have. He's only wrestler maybe aside from Punk, although I think he was outpopping him in the end, the fan's actually care for. Plus behind the beard and the Daniel Bryan name he's The American Dragon Bryan Danielson, the Best wrestler in the World. Plus He's chant has gone Mainstream and he's actually making strides into the mainstream.

764dak wrote: »

Yet he barely gets a reaction now and fans boo his ass even though he's suppose to be the top face of the company :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

John Cena during his initial rise would easily be a match. Jeff Hardy probably wasnt far behind either. Triple H was insanely popular when he returned in 2002(?). Rey Mysterio in his early days too. Eddie Guerrero during his Lie, Cheat and Steal time.

Bryan is easily the most popular now, but to say he is the most popular since Austin is ignoring facts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Remember when Cena opened WM20? Did any one really give him a reaction?

Remember a year later when Cena won his first "big one" at WM21 against JBL?

In both, the crowd were deeply ambivalent to it. It got a cheers, but nothing rapturous. Nothing which could even be described as a pop.

The only pop I ever remember Cena getting was at the Rumble when he returned from an injury. And it is arguable that this pop was more to do with the fact that people knew HHH wouldn't be winning anymore. That live crowd was booing him again within 10 minutes.

Cenas popularity as the top man has been incredibly forced on us. There was nothing natural about his journey to the top.
    gnfnrhead wrote:
    Triple H was insanely popular when he returned in 2002(?). Rey Mysterio in his early days too. Eddie Guerrero during his Lie, Cheat and Steal time.

HHH got a few world class pops on his return, but they faded very very quickly. Might be a tad unfair to say it, but when he won the main event at WM18 it was greeted with silence.

So, to answer the question of the thread - yes, BD is the most over since Austin. The people want to see him, he got himself over to a large degree and his ring work is beyond reproach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

gimmick wrote: »
    Remember when Cena opened WM20? Did any one really give him a reaction?

Remember a year later when Cena won his first "big one" at WM21 against JBL?

In both, the crowd were deeply ambivalent to it. It got a cheers, but nothing rapturous. Nothing which could even be described as a pop.

The only pop I ever remember Cena getting was at the Rumble when he returned from an injury. And it is arguable that this pop was more to do with the fact that people knew HHH wouldn't be winning anymore. That live crowd was booing him again within 10 minutes.

Cenas popularity as the top man has been incredibly forced on us. There was nothing natural about his journey to the top.

Ah to be fair Cena was well over during the rapper run, he got a massive pop in the 2004 rumble, and when he was drafted to Raw the place went nuts when he came out. The rumble return was funny, music starts, crowd go crazy in disbelief, he gets in the ring and throws two punchs, boos start raining as the crowd remembers they're supposed to hate him, poor guy can't catch a break :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Bryan is very similar to Austin. He's the everday man that fights adversity.

He's also an incredible worker, very solid on the mic(his mic skills have improved so much from his early career), you never hear bad things about him and he comes across as a very humble and genuine human being.

I am a huge DB mark, yes. Only I liked him before he was cool and was tearing the house down with Austin Aries.

Seeing him with the WWE title leading a Yes chant is going to be glorious when it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Rock was between Austin and Bryan so defo No as he is nowhere close to Rock at his prime ,the pops Rock got where insane ,even more so when you consider the Wrestling crowds always have a higher % red-neck racists than other sports.

Is he the most over since the Rock ?

Its close he is imo at the same level as Eddie ,Cena and Rey at their most popular ,hopefully he can kick it on a level ,but i suspect his mike skills will keep him below Rock Austin levels of greatness.

I would put him ahead of Punk at his peak already

• Site Banned Posts: 433 ✭✭Donegal Dan

To clarify, by "over" I mean insane crowd pops. Cena isnt a contender for this as he has been booed for far more of his career than he has been cheered.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I remember thinking a few years ago that the biggest difference between now and when the product was really hot (attitude era I guess) was the crowd reaction, back then even mid card acts like Too Cool etc got great reactions but now almost nobody does. When you think about it it's bloody impressive that D.Bryan can get the reaction he does from 2014 crowds considering and in that sense I actually would class him as the most over star since stone cold in many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I remember thinking a few years ago that the biggest difference between now and when the product was really hot (attitude era I guess) was the crowd reaction, back then even mid card acts like Too Cool etc got great reactions but now almost nobody does. When you think about it it's bloody impressive that D.Bryan can get the reaction he does from 2014 crowds considering and in that sense I actually would class him as the most over star since stone cold in many ways.

I'd agree with that if Mid card act Too Cool weren't way more over than even Lesnar at the Old School Raw.
    The Outlaws were over then & bar their mic routine can now barely get a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I can see why WWE don't get behind Bryan as much as everyone seems to want them too.

Yes he gets great pops, and I really enjoy him in the ring, but he isn't great on the mic and his facial expressions really annoy me.

When he comes out he has this big goofy grin on him that makes me not want to take him seriously. Last night was the prime example. Instead of being serious about the upcoming title match, he is more interested in looking at the crowd and laughing/smiling.

There is a time for crowd interaction and a time for business, The Rock and Austin showed this perfectly in their runs. Bryan hasn't shown that to me yet and until he does he is always gonna be just underneath the main person, be it Cena or whoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I get the impression that both the look and general goofiness are part of the gimmick he's been given.

He was deadly serious looking/acting when he made his first main roster appearances during the Nexus angle, and remember we're talking about a guy whose catchphrase used to be "You just got your f**king head kicked in!"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I cannot wait to see the pop he gets at Mania and on Raw the night after.

Advertisement