Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Daniel Bryan the most over wrestler since Stone Cold? *spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭colmufc

Rock was hugh but austin was much bigger everyone loved austin ,cena is nowhere near this level ,Bryan is the nearest thing to austin in the last 12 years ,that night where he tricked bray wyatt and sat on the cage the yes chant was hugh more over than any once since austins what? !

• Site Banned Posts: 433 ✭✭Donegal Dan

Last night's "YES!" chants and pops seemed milder than in recent weeks. I think its good that Vince is capitalising on his popularity now - at Mania - rather than 5 months down the line at Summerslam when the crowd might be bored with it.

I did read somewhere that he is now third in merchandise sales with CM Punk in second place and Cena in first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Last night's "YES!" chants and pops seemed milder than in recent weeks. I think its good that Vince is capitalising on his popularity now - at Mania - rather than 5 months down the line at Summerslam when the crowd might be bored with it.

I did read somewhere that he is now third in merchandise sales with CM Punk in second place and Cena in first.

Fourth. Shockingly Sin Cara is at the same level and the Warrior of all people is ahead of him.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Fourth. Shockingly Sin Cara is at the same level and the Warrior of all people is ahead of him.

The Ultimate Warrior is ahead of him?! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

To be fair, CM Punk's popularity around the "Pipebomb" story line was pretty high too, deserves a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The Ultimate Warrior is ahead of him?! :pac:

Nope.

154807.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Last night's "YES!" chants and pops seemed milder than in recent weeks.

I thought so too. I think it goes back to that hijack angle last week where they used a legion of plants. You could see in the crowd reaction last week that they weren't digging being demoted to extras as the plants took centre stage.

As usual with WWE they had magic in a bottle with the whole fanmade Yes chants but they had to slap their own label on it and filter it from the top down with their own brand of corporate crap.

As usual with WWE they had magic in a bottle with the whole fanmade Yes chants but they had to slap their own label on it and filter it from the top down with their own brand of corporate crap.

You'd think they'd have just let the crowd chants and popularity build ala Stone Cold. Instead they're now dissipating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

That crowd was dead all night in fairness. They didn't react to anyone. Hunter got a decent reaction at the start and that was it basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I wouldnt worry unless it continues to happen. You can easily get a crap crowd one week but the next will be business as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I wouldnt worry unless it continues to happen. You can easily get a crap crowd one week but the next will be business as usual.

I wonder did the majority fans notice the Yes Movement segment the week before was mocking them, it was rather blatant

Did I read tonight's Raw is from Brooklyn?

That will certainly confirm whether Bryan's star is on the rise or fall or not. Nothing like a New York crowd to tell it like it is ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,509 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think it's fair to say we will know just how over Daniel Bryan is in about 6-8 months. It seems he will definitely be given the ball now. The big question is how well he will run with it after months of people shouting to pass it to him.

I genuinely don't know how it's going to go. I like him a wrestler and a character but this current feud isn't capturing me at all. It does seem a bit as if the WWE have said that they're willing to give him a run as the face of the company, as long as he is willing to act like the face of the company rather than the guy that became so popular in the first place.

If Bryan does end up not lasting, I believe it'll be down to creative ruining him, rather than any flaws of his own. Hopefully this doesn't happen and he is allowed be Daniel Bryan the way that Stone Cold was allowed be Stone Cold and not Hulk Hogan/Bret Hart/Cena eat your vegetables and drink your milk ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I bet he'll be pretty over in 6-8 months time.

I bet he'll be pretty over in 6-8 months time.
    I dunno, I hope so, but I wouldn't bet my life on it either. It very much depends on how WWE approach it.

They're not gonna be able to bill Bryan as dominant, that wouldn't just suit. With both Cena permanently, and Orton particularly while champion they've gone with this formula for their matches that they very rarely veer from on Raw/Smackdown. Opponent dominates for large spells of the match before out of nowhere picks up the win. Kids may love that kind of thing, and WWE love that they love that kind of thing. Us older fans not at all though.

Could Bryan survive continuous **** booking while champion? I think it would have an effect because there is no cause to get behind anymore. People would have gotten what they wanted, Bryan as the face of the company and champion. With the WWE's booking of their champions though it could very well be a case of be careful what you wish for. Those are my worries anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

Bryan survived losing a world title match in about half a second. Maybe even became more over than ever imagined because of it.

Bryan survived losing a world title match in about half a second. Maybe even became more over than ever imagined because of it.
    Exactly, but if he's booked crap while champion he is less likely to survive it. For that exact same reason you just ended with.

:confused:

That happened before. Maybe even twice. He's doing alright.

That happened before. Maybe even twice. He's doing alright.
    Bryan has never been expected to carry the show before. This is his chance to do so. I have every faith that he will, but the consequences of not having a captivating 6-8 months as WWE champion would be a lot more detrimental now than it was in the past. One of the great things Bryan had for a long time was that he had nothing to lose, now he has everything to lose. The chap is far too talented to **** it up himself, but I have my fears that WWE may **** it up for him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Bryan's promo on Raw Backstage Pass was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Got a link to it?

U2YaqsQ.jpg

rovert wrote: »
    U2YaqsQ.jpg

As strong as Daniel's win was last night I cant see the "Yes!" chants lasting till Summer Slam unless they add another variable to him and/or put him up against Brock at the event.

The 75 thousand last night let their voice be heard for Bryan but I can see the smark fans turning them into "No! No! No!" chants in coming months if they grow bored of him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The 75 thousand last night let their voice be heard for Bryan but I can see the smark fans turning them into "No! No! No!" chants in coming months if they grow bored of him.

Chanting "No" every so often two years ago helped get him where he is. Be grand. :)

As strong as Daniel's win was last night I cant see the "Yes!" chants lasting till Summer Slam unless they add another variable to him and/or put him up against Brock at the event.

Way too early to make that call. Everything he has done so far has been gold.

Hmmmm!
    - A new report suggests that there are higher-ups in WWE who are concerned that Daniel Bryan isn't actually over with crowds and that instead the "YES!" chant is what is getting over. They feel that Bryan "plateaued" when he won the title at WrestleMania 30. You know, since clearly moving from a feud with Triple H and Stephanie into one with Kane is going to get him more over with the fans.

Bryan is said to have very little ego backstage, which is good but could also work against him because he doesn't argue his position with Creative or higher-ups and does what he's booked to do.
    http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/321634#YlBMlh5o3MjMxKov.99

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

That's either bullshït or there are people in WWE who don't understand what it means for a wrestler to be over. Bryan's merch sells well, he gets great reactions from the crowd even dull crowds, he draws good TV ratings -there was a large drop off in viewers after the Kane tombstone angle. The house shows he headlines draw less than Cena's but they're still pretty good considering.

Advertisement