Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best US State

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Hard to beat Wyoming. It's got much to offer. Yellowstone etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Then Louisiana, California and Maine. I'd murder a hurricane
    Pat O'Briens in New 'Awlins.
    Sickly sweet I thought, the methadone of cocktails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Hell, most of America is fascinating to read about IMO.

Couldn't agree more. We're planning a trip to America presently and I want to get to as many states as the budget will allow, both popular places and going off the beaten track. Have been doing some reading up and I have to say I can't wait to go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

California has it all.

Loved Arizona too. And Utah. Eye popping, with a healthy dose of crazy people.

People in Utah are very odd, but the sceinary makes up for it.

California really has it all, so varied. The only problem with any of the western states is... They don't really have much age to them. Most towns am cities are no more than 100 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Stojkovic wrote: »

Ahhh, great memories of New Orleans, one place I would love to go back to!!

As mentioned earlier, Charleston is another great spot.

Off to Atlanta and New York next week, yippee, can't wait!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

MadsL wrote: »
    Actual drink?

Or eating a lobster roll and sipping a margarita during a hurricane.

Oh the former. During actual hurricanes, I drink lemon drop martinis. God knows why.
    Stojkovic wrote: »

God no ! :eek: Pat O'Brien is to Noo Orlins tourism, what the 1970's Jurys cabaret was to Irish tourism. The stuff they serve in PO'Bs is pure muck. They use a premixed hurricane syrup that is pure sugar. Then they make the cocktails up in big batches & the ossified tourists are none the wiser. Ya gotta go off the beaten track to get the good stuff. Dive bars in the 4th ward preferably. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Oregon is gorgeous, really nice people there too, I found. Southern Oregon is just beautiful. My aunt moved there because she thought it was the closest thing to Ireland that she could find in the US, and it did actually remind me a bit of Ireland. Lovely green landscapes and what have you, though it was the height of summer when I was there and blisteringly hot.

Wasn't too crazy about New York City, a bit overwhelming and hectic for me (although maybe living there is different, you adapt I suppose), but I haven't been anywhere else in New York state.

Parts of California are very nice, and other parts not so much. LA is completely void of any real character, I think. A pretty soulless place for the most part. San Diego and San Fran, on the other hand, I really liked.

The only part of Nevada I've ever been to is Vegas, which has to be seen to be believed really. A completely absurd place.

I'm fascinated by the southern states. Texas is the place I want to visit next, I think. Would love to see Georgia too, and visiting Nashville is a real dream of mine. There's something that seems kind of homely and authentic and traditional about the south, like time is slowed down there, which appeals to me. I've met a few southerners too who were very warm, pleasant people (southern hospitality and all that). Even though I'd consider myself quite liberal (by southern standards anyway), I still think I'd love to live there, even if just for a short while. I'd probably only last a few months before I'd be looking to get the hell out of there! :o

Funnily, Florida is a place that doesn't appeal to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

North Carollina, the mountaiins are spectacular I can see why the Vanderbilts chose to build their family home if you have never been go see it. Spectacular & breathtaking are the words that come to mind about the scenery, that and the vast wealth that the family had at the time is mindblowing by today's standards.

Love the beaches here too! Wrightsville & Oak Island to name a couple.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anG2uOUg0Xs

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

ProudDUB wrote: »
    God no ! :eek: Pat O'Brien is to Noo Orlins tourism, what the 1970's Jurys cabaret was to Irish tourism. The stuff they serve in PO'Bs is pure muck. They use a premixed hurricane syrup that is pure sugar. Then they make the cocktails up in big batches & the ossified tourists are none the wiser. Ya gotta go off the beaten track to get the good stuff. Dive bars in the 4th ward preferably. :D
    So you agree with me.
    Twas 20 years ago I was last there.
    Went in there on the first night and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

MadsL wrote: »
    Big fan of Colonialism were you?
    what the fcuk do you call overthrowing democratically elected government and installing stooges who will shaft their people and hand over their resources? What the fcuk do you call the Monroe Doctrine or that despicable notion of "Manifest Destiny"? What do you call the slaughter of 600,000 Filipinos and the occupation of their country? What the fcuk do you call 700 military garrisons worlwide to control markets and resources? What do you call the genocide of 30 million native Americans so you can "colonise" their land? What do you call the destruction of economies and then forcing them to remain in the stone age or adopt American trade standards so as to become beholden to American colonial commercial interests?
    You sing the damn praises of a bunch of guys who kicked off over a tax on tea bags yet when some gook or raghead picks up a gun because your colonial soldiers wiped out his herd of cows or his family just for a laugh, then they're"terrorists". You sing the praises of guys hiding behind trees and taking potshots at Redcoats yet if some kid in kandahar throws a Molotov cocktail at a hummer then he's an enemy of democracy who "hates you for your freedoms".

Your hypocritical double-standards and selective amnesia are nauseating.

• Advertisement

Now that that's off my chest. Favourite state....none. I only like parts of states. So northern new jersey, Sunapee new Hampshire, most of Massachusetts, pretty much most of Louisiana, northern California, Washington state and southern Mississippi. The rest can f.o.

I've just been to New England - visited Mass. (including Boston - wonderful city), Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and New York state.

Fascinating. Love that witch trials, Pilgrim fathers sh1t.

I find the Appalachians and Deep South fascinating to read about; don't know about actually going there though

Just don't EVER attempt to exercise your right to free movement, expression or assembly if an agent of the state decides he wants to dick with you and ruin your day/health/life. You will be beaten, incarcerated, and maybe even killed if you even quote the constitution or bill of rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

MonaPizza wrote: »
    Your hypocritical double-standards and selective amnesia are nauseating.

Ha ha ha!

Wow. Someone woke up on the wrong side this morning.

I think he just meant that it was a colony before it was independent.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭RonnieRocket

Personally I think MonaPizza's hate-filled, anti-American diatribe goes against the ethos of this forum. Most posts are queries about visas, tourism or casual chats about daily life in the US. The poster obviously has a very large chip on their shoulder and these one-sided rage rants are perhaps more suited to the politics forum where others can pick apart his "argument".

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Personally I think MonaPizza's hate-filled, anti-American diatribe goes against the ethos of this forum. Most posts are queries about visas, tourism or casual chats about daily life in the US. The poster obviously has a very large chip on their shoulder and these one-sided rage rants are perhaps more suited to the politics forum where others can pick apart his "argument".

Thoughts?

Adolescent tirades. Poor kid.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

***** Mod Note: Enough! If you want to discuss US States you like better than others and why, then do so in a polite, constructive manner. Do not denigrate areas of the USA, or use bad language. I realise some of you are new to this forum, so I strongly recommend you read the USA Forum charter: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056112313 before posting again. This will be your one and only warning. *****

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

Oregon is simply beautiful. I thought the people were so friendly, would love to go back and spend more time in Portland.

It's definitely the state that's left a lasting impression on me! Itching to do another road trip over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I think 'best state' is a bit pointless to judge. 'Best place' would be more meaningful. For example, I live in Atlanta. It is completely different to Georgia. It's vastly different to its own suburbs. It all boils down to the fact that there is huge diversity within states.

In an ideal scenario, I will retire wealthy (looking highly unlikely!) and will have homes in several places: coastal Maine, San Francisco (Mission), remote Montana not too far from Bozeman, downtown Asheville and my own home in Atlanta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I love colder climates and mountainous scenery so I really enjoyed Montana and Alaska, they're extremely beautiful. Alaska had a very frontier/end of Western civilisation feel to it. The people there kept to themselves but wouldn't see you stuck all the same. The New England states in Autumn were lovely as well. The most boring state I've been to was probably Indiana.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Indiana is great......we have fields

• Advertisement
Advertisement