Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor playmats - how to prepare ground?

• 08-02-2014 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

We want to add a hard surface area to our lawn for swings, basketball etc. can anyone tell me how the ground under the playground tiles must be prepared and how expensive for 40sq/m cost

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Assuming you have a level surface you should use some kind of weedblock cloth to prevent weeds getting a foothold, its usually a black woven Polyprop cloth with blue grids woven in to it.
    Then lay the tiles on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

tricky99 wrote: »
    We want to add a hard surface area to our lawn for swings, basketball etc. can anyone tell me how the ground under the playground tiles must be prepared and how expensive for 40sq/m cost

You need to excavate the soil from area and install and firm and level sub-base, hardcore (min 100mm) with compacted grit sand (50mm) on top. Placing a permeable membrane under the hardcore base is optional.

Rubber tiles are expensive, different grades (& thickness) available.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

If i was doing that i would have a concrete area around the basketball hoop and soft bark mulch around the swing area. Underneath the actual swings i would pin some old carpet to the ground and just cover the edges with bark.

Advertisement