Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CMod mikey dolenze and abuse of mod power

Options
  • 08-02-2014 11:34pm
    Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭

I have been banned from the C+P forum for three days for questioning a mods action.

The mod in question, cmod mikey dolenze warned a poster never to post in a particular thread again.
    Regardless to the fact that the warning was given for the most innocuous of comments, to me the moderator has steeped WAY outside the boundary of what they should be doing. The action was in no way reasonable, measured or in line with the perceived 'wrong' action.

When i asked the mod to point of what rule was broken, s/he fails to do so.....then decides to warn me never to post in that thread again. Again to me this action was in no way comparable to the perceived 'slight'.

This is an abuse of a moderators power. I can find no such rule which underwrites an ability of a mod to warn a poster from never posting in a particular thread again...
    the fact that the cmod posted in response to a perceived slight on a fellow mod make this action look a lot worse too.

I would have serious issues with a moderator warnng posters never to post ion particular issues, when the moderator themselves is not a contributor to the issue. An ability to grasp the core factors of what is being debated should be a prerequisite of a moderator responsibilities, and in this case its clear there is not understanding by the cmod. They have an extremely low contribution level to the C+P forum other than offering mod actions.

as this dispute is dealing with a cmod actions i hope that it will be investigated at a higher level, and im sure that a detailed investigation will show a pattern emerging with this cmods post in the C+P forum.....

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I have been banned from the C+P forum for three days for questioning a mods action.
    Are you arguing that you shouldn't have been sanctioned for breaking a well-known site-wide rule?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Are you arguing that you shouldn't have been sanctioned for breaking a well-known site-wide rule?

I am arguing that that :

1. The moderator does not have the power to tell me never to post in a thread again when i had broken no forum or site rule.

2. The warning never to post in the thread again was in no way proportionate to any perceived wrong doing. Id go so far as to say it is far beyond the limits of what the mods can do when no rule breach has occurred.

This is no fleeting after hours thread. It is a thread about a piece of government legislation that affects a wide range of people. It affects me to such a degree that it effectively says that i am not qualified to do what I've spent three years in college and worked at for Fourteen years.
    This moderator is NOT a Contributor to the thread, and is pretty much non existent as a contributor to the c+p forum. I would seriously question their grasp of the issues at hand in that particular thread and thus their ability to be reasonable and measured in their actions. The warning to both myself and another poster "never to post in the thread again" is an abuse of moderator power as if we were to post it's easy for them to ban us.

So I'm asking you to:
    1. Explain why a moderator had the power to censor a poster from posting on a particular issue when no forum rule has been breached, nor had there been any history of that moderator having to action any posts in that forum.
    2. If 1 above is shown not to be allowed, them id like banning to be lifted.

I fully appreciate that the ban is only 3 days and we are half way through already but I'm doing this as a matter of principle. In my view the only way a poster should be banned from "ever posting on this thread again" is if the poster is shown to be continually abusive, abrasive or trolling in their posts. I would argue my posts certainly are not.

The debate is heated and emotional because of the reasons I've outlined above. I would expect a moderator who is knowledgable in the issues to be reasoned and proportionate in their actions. The other mod, bryanf, has been so in their moderation with polite but clear warnings. Mod mikey dolenz most certainly had not been.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You weren't banned for questioning whether or not the moderator did the right thing; you were banned for questioning the moderator's action on the thread. You should know that you're not supposed to do so; if you didn't know that before, then you know it now.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You weren't banned for questioning whether or not the moderator did the right thing; you were banned for questioning the moderator's action on the thread. You should know that you're not supposed to do so; if you didn't know that before, then you know it now.

No i was banned for ignoring a Moderators instruction.
    I you would be privy to the banning pm? thought

If the mod feels posting my ban from the thread openly to everyone is acceptable, then why is it wrong for me to challenge their reason to do so openly as well?

I received NO pm from this mod until I was banned.

Oscar, do you understand that the issue at hand here has be borne from the Moderators actions and not my own?

After conversation with mikey dolenz I think we have come to an agreeable conclusion to this issue.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement