Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which bike to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If you could get the KTM restricted and insured on it, I'd go for that.... but you're really limiting yourself by going for only 2 choices especially 2 choices which are vastly different styles.

If you don't have your licence yet, then wait out until you've done IBT and then go and test ride a LOT of bikes before picking one to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Hundreds of these threads on different forums now have a look around and read them, 1st thing I did was get my gear. Bought the best helmet I could afford and then decent armoured textiles and good boots and gloves. I did that so I would not buy a really dear bike and end up with cheap gear protecting my head.

Next step is to GO TO as many dealers as possible and get a feel for the bikes you will narrow down what feels "right" very quickly. I would stay away from race style bikes in favour of a more upright position starting off, the view will be of far more benefit and comfort too. Try to get a semi faired bike with a bit of wind protection too if you are commuting on the bike.

Have a look at some of the following: don't know what you like so a bit of everything.

Suzuki V Strom 650
    Honda CB500
    Yamaha FZ6 (my pick)
    Honda Hornet
    SV 650
    Suzuki bandit 650

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lmpulse

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Hundreds of these threads on different forums now have a look around and read them, 1st thing I did was get my gear. Bought the best helmet I could afford and then decent armoured textiles and good boots and gloves. I did that so I would not buy a really dear bike and end up with cheap gear protecting my head.

Next step is to GO TO as many dealers as possible and get a feel for the bikes you will narrow down what feels "right" very quickly. I would stay away from race style bikes in favour of a more upright position starting off, the view will be of far more benefit and comfort too. Try to get a semi faired bike with a bit of wind protection too if you are commuting on the bike.

Have a look at some of the following: don't know what you like so a bit of everything.

Suzuki V Strom 650
    Honda CB500
    Yamaha FZ6 (my pick)
    Honda Hornet
    SV 650
    Suzuki bandit 650

i have already bought some gear, as far as to bikes I'm really going towards either the ninja or the ktm.

Hell of a difference between a Ninja 250cc and a KTM 690. How did you arrive at that scenario? Is it looks or what....

Plus if you get the 250cc you cant even do your full test on it as you will only get an A2 license, and people are FULLY AWARE that you need a minimum 300cc or higher to do the full test so they are really hard to sell on WHEN you get bored of it in 3mths time.

If it has to be one of them....KTM

Hell of a difference between a Ninja 250cc and a KTM 690. How did you arrive at that scenario? Is it looks or what....

Plus if you get the 250cc you cant even do your full test on it as you will only get an A2 license, and people are FULLY AWARE that you need a minimum 300cc or higher to do the full test so they are really hard to sell on WHEN you get bored of it in 3mths time.

i've been riding dirt bikes for approx 1-2 months now,thats why i went towards the 690, however you think it's possible to get insured on the ktm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

lmpulse wrote: »
    i've been riding dirt bikes for approx 1-2 months now,thats why i went towards the 690, however you think it's possible to get insured on the ktm?

reckon it will be difficult/expensive to insure a 690. There is a ktm 390 which is a2 friendly.....I'd get a fazer 600 myself.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah look into insurance first it might be very tricky on the ktm, that thing is a licence loser. Ninja is the perfect first bike! Most people if they catch the bug end up wanting something better after a short while anyway so just get something decent and see what happens. Get your IBT done and try to get the higher level so you don't have the restriction to worry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

fatbast wrote: »
    reckon it will be difficult/expensive to insure a 690. There is a ktm 390 which is a2 friendly.....I'd get a fazer 600 myself.

Some of the FZ6 / Fazers are 72kw so not suitable for restriction to the 'A2' category.

the KTM rc390 and the KTM duke 390 are both not available in ireland, and getting them from the uk would be too expensive as most of them are new, the 690 is also A2 friendly as it doesn't exceed the 0.2 ratio according to them Link to information
    Zascar wrote: »
    Yeah look into insurance first it might be very tricky on the ktm, that thing is a licence loser. Ninja is the perfect first bike! Most people if they catch the bug end up wanting something better after a short while anyway so just get something decent and see what happens. Get your IBT done and try to get the higher level so you don't have the restriction to worry about
    as wonda-boy mentioned earlier, the ninja wouldn't be sufficient to get me the full A2 license, and only way i would get rid of the restrictions is via the progressive thingy since I'm young. any idea about insurance companies that are more likely to insure young drivers?

i also came across this KTM duke 690, not very found of it's look but it seems like a decent bike, what do you think? ktm duke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

the KTM rc390 and the KTM duke 390 are both not available in ireland, and getting them from the uk would be too expensive as most of them are new, the 690 is also A2 friendly as it doesn't exceed the 0.2 ratio according to them Link to information

as wonda-boy mentioned earlier, the ninja wouldn't be sufficient to get me the full A2 license, and only way i would get rid of the restrictions is via the progressive thingy since I'm young. any idea about insurance companies that are more likely to insure young drivers?

think m50 ktm have a 390 in stock....think the 690 is in a high insurance group....maybe the ninja would be the best bet

Liberty or AXA with a grade 2 insurance skills assessment

Best to give them a call & ask

think m50 ktm have a 390 in stock....think the 690 is in a high insurance group....maybe the ninja would be the best bet

last time i checked they only had the duke 200, don't think they stocked on the new ones yet, i'm going to leave the ninja as a last resort ;d

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Liberty or AXA with a grade 2 insurance skills assessment

Best to give them a call & ask

thank you for the input, i'll be sure to start on these once im done with my ibt. on a side note do you think it would be a good idea to buy the bike before getting the learner permit or should i wait?

thank you for the input, i'll be sure to start on these once im done with my ibt. on a side note do you think it would be a good idea to buy the bike before getting the learner permit or should i wait?

Don't buy a bike until you are sure you can get insured on it.
    Most instructors will provide an insurance skills assessment with your IBT course, ask your instructor if he/she can do this for you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

SV650 is always a good choice. Really good bike, you can easily restrict it and take it off when necessary. Loads of them around for decent money. Great twin engine, good riding position, looks nice - a Great all rounder bike

Don't even touch a bike until you do IBT. You'll get tunnel vision very quickly when you can't properly test ride properly on a road.

Don't even touch a bike until you do IBT. You'll get tunnel vision very quickly when you can't properly test ride properly on a road.

No really true - might want to learn about his own bike & use his it for IBT?

i don't think tunnel vision would be a problem as i have been riding 4 wheelers for 7+ years.

No really true - might want to learn about his own bike & use his it for IBT?

i think using it for the IBT would be a hassle, to transport it etc etc...

• Advertisement

i think using it for the IBT would be a hassle, to transport it etc etc...

Some people want to learn about & learn how to ride there own bike so they will get it transported or get someone to ride it there for them.

Some people want to learn about & learn how to ride there own bike so they will get it transported or get someone to ride it there for them.

I'm very tempted to get one right now and ride it around my complex, just hate to think about crashing it without insurance >.>

Zascar wrote: »
    SV650 is always a good choice. Really good bike, you can easily restrict it and take it off when necessary. Loads of them around for decent money. Great twin engine, good riding position, looks nice - a Great all rounder bike

Would not agree with you on the riding position, I found them very hard on the wrists and not very comfortable. But everything else I would agree on.....just my 2 cents.

what are other checks on a ninja 250 incase i went down that road

i know to check the chain, sprockets, brake pads, engine sound, oil, mileage, frame+ chassis for any signs of crash/abuse/wear etc..

what are other checks on a ninja 250 incase i went down that road

i know to check the chain, sprockets, brake pads, engine sound, oil, mileage, frame+ chassis for any signs of crash/abuse/wear etc..

Finance history if any, service history would be nice. You will get the best information from a spirited test drive.

Finance history if any, service history would be nice. You will get the best information from a spirited test drive.

any idea how to change the ownership of bike upon purchase?

When you buy the bike the dealer or seller sends the log book off (down to shannon I think) and it will be re-issued in your name, takes about 2 weeks. If its a english or NI bike then you must get the cert (C5/V5) and have it for when you get the bike re registered.

If you are about to bite the bullet and bike a bike (any bike) and are not 100% what to look for stick up a thread on here. Many a good lad on here would not see you stuck....;) and go take a look at the bike with you for a 2nd opinion.

any idea how to change the ownership of bike upon purchase?

when you buy it the dealer or seller should fill out a change of ownershiip form on the log book with your details, they send it off to Shannon and around 2 weeks later you receive a new log book with all your details and a change of ownership form attached.

damn, you guys got me so pumped up for this, problem is too many ninjas to choose and only one KTM ;p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Go onto the Liberty website and they should be able to give you a quote online. That would be one step towards seeing if they will insure you or not https://quotes.libertyinsurance.ie/QMP/publicviewquestions.do?productcode=QMB&corpunit=GEI

Advertisement