Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which bike to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lmpulse

dunner515 wrote: »
    Go onto the Liberty website and they should be able to give you a quote online. That would be one step towards seeing if they will insure you or not https://quotes.libertyinsurance.ie/QMP/publicviewquestions.do?productcode=QMB&corpunit=GEI

i would need the registration number for the online quote thing, tried it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

If you just want to mess around with online quotes and NOT purchase insurance just to give you a rough idea on cost, take the Ktm that you are looking at for example enter the year of the bike (2008 for the Ktm which you are looking at) followed by a random county where it was registered (Dublin for example, so you would enter the letter D) This will allow you to continue on with the quote. I have done it that way many times myself when I did not know the full registration of a vehicle that I was interested in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

lmpulse wrote: »
    damn, you guys got me so pumped up for this, problem is too many ninjas to choose and only one KTM ;p

Ask yourself why so many 250cc ninja's???? They are like orphans now......nobody wants them.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Ask yourself why so many 250cc ninja's???? They are like orphans now......nobody wants them.

i dont want it either lol, it's just that what other choices do i have now >.>

If you just want to mess around with online quotes and NOT purchase insurance just to give you a rough idea on cost, take the Ktm that you are looking at for example enter the year of the bike (2008 for the Ktm which you are looking at) followed by a random county where it was registered (Dublin for example, so you would enter the letter D) This will allow you to continue on with the quote. I have done it that way many times myself when I did not know the full registration of a vehicle that I was interested in

i also tried that but it kept giving me an error, stating that their system couldn't give me a quote bs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

i dont want it either lol, it's just that what other choices do i have now >.>

If you have €4000 grand or so to spend on that KTM you have so so many choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If it was me, I'd get that KTM. Savage bike, I'd love one myself.
    But for you, insurance might be a problem. Where do you live and do you have somewhere safe to store it? If you're fairly confident you have somewhere safe to store it, get some insurance quotes for 3rd party only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Be very surprised if you get a quote.. 700cc single like :o think you'd be mad spending so much on your first bike too, but sure tis your monies

Wossack wrote: »
    Be very surprised if you get a quote.. 700cc single like :o think you'd be mad spending so much on your first bike too, but sure tis your monies

insurance is a bitch man.

Cienciano wrote: »
    If it was me, I'd get that KTM. Savage bike, I'd love one myself.
    But for you, insurance might be a problem. Where do you live and do you have somewhere safe to store it? If you're fairly confident you have somewhere safe to store it, get some insurance quotes for 3rd party only.

i have a parking space in a 24/7 CCTV monitored garage in an apartment complex.

• Advertisement

what do you guys think about a Kawi Zx6r or a Suzuki gsxr 600?

Nah, not great tbh. Ask zascar about that! Assuming that's in a city.
    IF you lived out in the bog arse of nowhere and had a secure garage, you'd be ok. But for that KTM is probably second only to a high powered scrambler for the scumbags. I'd even be tempted to steal it myself

what do you guys think about a Kawi Zx6r or a Suzuki gsxr 600?

I reckon ring around and get insurance quotes. I wouldn't recommend getting a 600 sports bike for your first bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

unless you can put down a ground anchor, or anchor it onto a solid point somewhere that space isn't that safe. some of the lads here can attest to that.

as for other choices.... for how much you're willing to spend on the ktm you've loads of choices that are far more insurable.

i'd be looking at 400 cc bandits, vfr's, bros, or even the supermoto.

they're all a bit cheaper and infinitely more insurable than the ktm... there is no point in shelling out however much for the ktm then the same on insurance just because of love of a particular bike..... just give it a year or two when you have a ncb and maybe the unrestricted A Learner Permit. KTM's will still be great bikes then and you won't be after spending 4 grand on insurance.

unless you can put down a ground anchor, or anchor it onto a solid point somewhere that space isn't that safe. some of the lads here can attest to that.

as for other choices.... for how much you're willing to spend on the ktm you've loads of choices that are far more insurable.

i'd be looking at 400 cc bandits, vfr's, bros, or even the supermoto.

they're all a bit cheaper and infinitely more insurable than the ktm... there is no point in shelling out however much for the ktm then the same on insurance just because of love of a particular bike..... just give it a year or two when you have a ncb and maybe the unrestricted A Learner Permit. KTM's will still be great bikes then and you won't be after spending 4 grand on insurance.

what about this bandit ? link it's a 600cc one, reckon it would be insurable? also is it possible to give a bandit that meaner naked look?
    i'll ask the landlord if it's possible to lay an anchor down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

If they're the only two you'll consider then enjoy your ninja, because theres no way you're getting insured on the KTM.

ZXR's and GSXR's are also a no-no, just for the moment.

I've been where you are now. Eventually decided to go for a 125 for a year to build no claims, worked my way up for the next couple of years and was insured on my current 1150cc bike before I turned 23. Not as far off as it seems now, and you'll appreciate it all the more when you get it because you'll actually know how to use it.

Bandits a fine bike and ideal for a beginner. Ring Liberty in the morning, if anyone will insure you it'll be them. Tell them you've already bought it, they'll just fob you off otherwise.

Not entirely sure the look you're after but have seen bandits customised in 100's of different ways.

That particular one seems a little high pricewise but that might just be me.

might settle with a ninja after all. one question tho do i really have to wear that silly florescent learner vest while riding? i know i should throw my ego at home but really?

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Bandits a fine bike and ideal for a beginner. Ring Liberty in the morning, if anyone will insure you it'll be them. Tell them you've already bought it, they'll just fob you off otherwise.

Not entirely sure the look you're after but have seen bandits customised in 100's of different ways.

That particular one seems a little high pricewise but that might just be me.

I've no idea about the price range of bandits, so i can't really judge.

You are supposed to wear it. I seem to remember having to borrow one for my test though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

might settle with a ninja after all. one question tho do i really have to wear that silly florescent learner vest while riding? i know i should throw my ego at home but really?

By law you are required to wear one, some guards may use their discretion and make nothing of it that you are not wearing one but all it takes is for you to come across the wrong guard and the outcome may not be very pleasant

By law you are required to wear one, some guards may use their discretion and make nothing of it that you are not wearing one but all it takes is for you to come across the wrong guard and the outcome may not be very pleasant
    true that.

guys do you think this is a good deal?
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/zxr250rr/6422022

Personally, no. Given it's an inbetweener bike which can't be used for any test so it's resale value is far lower than you think, i don't think any 250 is gonna be that good a deal.... and 2300 seems expensive, even for a 08. 1800 maybe would be reasonable price, but 2300, there is better out there for that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hard to say, go see it, but they are great little bikes and its not much money so if it's in good nick then it's a perfect starter bike if you get a good deal on it. Seriously do not worry too much about it, just get something decent, the main thing is you will have a motorbike, no matter which one you are going to have a ball! Getting into bikes is the best thing I have ever done. I know its a total pain at the beginning having to restrict your choice and deal with insurance, but honestly just enjoy it for what it is. The more crazy stuff will come. I had the whole 2 year restriction thing to deal with which is easier now with IBT etc. I started on a little 125 and quickly progressed. Seems like only yesterday - but now I'm buying a Fireblade :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

it's an inbetweener bike which can't be used for any test
    Really, how come? I did not know that. I hear they have raised the restriction to 55bhp is that correct? This used to be the best b
    bike you can get unrestricted pretty much - what are the popular choices now?

Zascar wrote: »
    Really, how come? I did not know that. I hear they have raised the restriction to 55bhp is that correct? This used to be the best b
    did they really do that that?

Personally, no. Given it's an inbetweener bike which can't be used for any test so it's resale value is far lower than you think, i don't think any 250 is gonna be that good a deal.... and 2300 seems expensive, even for a 08. 1800 maybe would be reasonable price, but 2300, there is better out there for that.

i think that would be considered low balling quite frankly o.o

guys if i bought items from a UK online store url]http://www.topgearsuperstore.com[/url, do i have to pay vat on the items as well?

• Advertisement

guys if i bought items from a UK online store url]http://www.topgearsuperstore.com[/url, do i have to pay vat on the items as well?

not if they are shipped from the uk or anywhere else in europe.
    Zascar wrote: »

here is the A2 Licence requirements for the bike "A Category A2 motorcycle without sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 395cm3, and an engine power of at least 20 kW, but not exceeding 35 kW and with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW/kg and not derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. If the motorcycle is powered by an electric motor, the power to weight ratio of the vehicle shall be at least 0.15 kW/kg.2

At least 395 cc and 20kw.

while the A1 Licence only allows up to 125cc.

So basically a ninja is completely useless for the test, which overall is gonna drive it's value down regardless of how good a bike it is. If it can't be used for the test it's an awkward learner bike.

The new licence system has created a vacuum section of bikes that cannot be used for the test. They may be, like the ninja 250, a decent bike, but for a learner it seems impractical to learn on that but have to borrow another bike for the test.

Advertisement