Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which bike to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lmpulse

if only KTM rc390 or the duke were available in ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

i dunno what the over/under on the engine capacity is for the test, but if it were very strict they still wouldn't be suited.

I'd still advice you get a 400 bandit or something similar. Just til you've passed the test, but that's just how I'd do it in your situation. The ninja 250 is a lovely bike, but I'd consider it very expensive for what it is, and that the value will drop soon in my opinion.

i dunno what the over/under on the engine capacity is for the test, but if it were very strict they still wouldn't be suited.

I'd still advice you get a 400 bandit or something similar. Just til you've passed the test, but that's just how I'd do it in your situation. The ninja 250 is a lovely bike, but I'd consider it very expensive for what it is, and that the value will drop soon in my opinion.

i appreciate your advice, but I'm not really that keen about bandits. i would prefer a ninja over it.

have you looked at zxr 400's? they'll generally be much older, but bike owners tend to take care of their babies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

A super four is also a great bike, absolute bullet proof and not to shabby on the twisties!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

lmpulse wrote: »
    i don't think tunnel vision would be a problem as i have been riding 4 wheelers for 7+ years.

How old are you?

P.C. wrote: »
    How old are you?

guys would i have to pay vat on a new ktm duke or rc390 from Phillip Mccallen

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Simon300

If you're 18 you have no chance of insurance on any 600 until you're 21 I can guarantee you that. Been there done that years ago so I know for a fact liberty won't quote you. I'd be surprised if any other company would either. You would even be very lucky to get insured on a 400 at a reasonable amount. Because of your age you're most likely going to have to buy a 250cc bike and just wait until you're old enough/build up no claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Simon300 wrote: »
    If you're 18 you have no chance of insurance on any 600 until you're 21 I can guarantee you that. Been there done that years ago so I know for a fact liberty won't quote you. I'd be surprised if any other company would either. You would even be very lucky to get insured on a 400 at a reasonable amount. Because of your age you're most likely going to have to buy a 250cc bike and just wait until you're old enough/build up no claims.

I second that. Sure when I was 18 I wanted an Aprillia RS 125, Liberty (Quinn back then) quoted me on it..... €7000+. Mad money to be asking for, safe to say I never got that bike

• Advertisement

Simon300 wrote: »

thanks for that sure answer.

guys would i have to pay vat on a new ktm duke or rc390 from Phillip Mccallen

I honestly think your best option would be to ring the insurance company's first to see if they will quote you on said bike. It would be a shame to purchase a bike only to be disappointed to find out you can't get insured it.

dunner515 wrote: »
    I honestly think your best option would be to ring the insurance company's first to see if they will quote you on said bike. It would be a shame to purchase a bike only to be disappointed to find out you can't get insured it.
    i would for sure do that first, but would i have to pay vat? not sure how things go around here.

i would for sure do that first, but would i have to pay vat? not sure how things go around here.

VAT is paid on all things purchased in this country. But if you buy a new vehicle you also have to pay VRT. If you import a vehicle from anywhere in Europe this also applies, used or not.

If purchased from the UK, you would have to pay VRT when imported into the country

VAT is paid on all things purchased in this country. But if you buy a new vehicle you also have to pay VRT. If you import a vehicle from anywhere in Europe this also applies, used or not.
    so if i import a bike from the uk i would have to register + pay 23% of the bike's price?

If purchased from the UK, you would have to pay VRT when imported into the country
    well damn, nothing is cheap over here.

well damn, nothing is cheap over here.

This might be true, but once you are on the road you'll realise that it was totally worth it

This might be true, but once you are on the road you'll realise that it was totally worth it
    don't think it's worth it to pay approx 8k eur just for a ktm 390 duke or rc390 >.>

so if i import a bike from the uk i would have to register + pay 23% of the bike's price?

If you buy new, then probably.... but you shouldn't have to pay the UK VAT if importing like that. It'd be Cost of bike, VAT, VRT and Motor Tax. For you starting with one of those bikes, you're looking at over 10 grand.... just in your first year. If you have it, more power to ya, but christ that's a lot of money.

And it's not that nothings cheap, it's that you are going for some of the more expensive options. Remember what I said about Tunnel Vision. If these are the only two bikes you want then, by all means get them, it's not my money. But as a first bike, I certainly would just go for something I'd not be too upset about scratching.

• Advertisement

If you buy new, then probably.... but you shouldn't have to pay the UK VAT if importing like that. It'd be Cost of bike, VAT, VRT and Motor Tax. For you starting with one of those bikes, you're looking at over 10 grand.... just in your first year. If you have it, more power to ya, but christ that's a lot of money.

And it's not that nothings cheap, it's that you are going for some of the more expensive options. Remember what I said about Tunnel Vision. If these are the only two bikes you want then, by all means get them, it's not my money. But as a first bike, I certainly would just go for something I'd not be too upset about scratching.

i think a ninja would be the best logical option right now, even better if i could find a 300 at a good price.

i think a ninja would be the best logical option right now, even better if i could find a 300 at a good price.

Whichever you get, just remember, come time for the test, you'll have to borrow a bigger bike. :) The quicker you do the test too, the quicker you can get an unrestricted licence :)

thanks lads for all the great information and advice, one last question what would be considered as a good bargain for a ninja 250 ranging from 08-12

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

I sold my old Ninja 250 last April for €2700

DSC_0002_zpsc980afc6.jpg

It was Mint and had low miles and a few nice extras ( Can, Crash protectors etc)

I would imagine that anywhere from €2000-€2500 max would be the going rate nowadays

Shop around and go look at some advertised its the only way you will find them and if your happy with the price then buy it

There a great little bike for starting off on and are well able to hold there own on spins out with bigger bikes

As said you cant do your test on it but that wouldnt put me off

nerrad1983 wrote: »
    I sold my old Ninja 250 last April for €2700

DSC_0002_zpsc980afc6.jpg

It was Mint and had low miles and a few nice extras ( Can, Crash protectors etc)

I would imagine that anywhere from €2000-€2500 max would be the going rate nowadays

Shop around and go look at some advertised its the only way you will find them and if your happy with the price then buy it

There a great little bike for starting off on and are well able to hold there own on spins out with bigger bikes

As said you cant do your test on it but that wouldnt put me off
    thats a pretty sweet looking bike, so far i've only seen two ninjas going for sub 3000 and not all of them are in great condition based on the pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

whats your insurance quote looking at for one of them?

Wossack wrote: »
    whats your insurance quote looking at for one of them?
    i would say 800-900.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

i would say 800-900.

I did a quick quote for an 18 year student living in Dublin and it came back with a quote of €1750 for TPFT with Liberty.

You really need to sort out what your insurance costs will be with all these bikes, and double check that you can get insured on it. "I would say" means feck all TBH

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I did a quick quote for an 18 year student living in Dublin and it came back with a quote of €1750 for TPFT with Liberty.

You really need to sort out what your insurance costs will be with all these bikes, and double check that you can get insured on it. "I would say" means feck all TBH
    for a god damn 250r?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

aye probably... ye should get some quotes (and reference numbers), 'fore going much further imo..

Advertisement