Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which bike to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

lmpulse wrote: »
    for a god damn 250r?

Yep. That was on a learner permit with no experience.

Wossack wrote: »
    aye probably... ye should get some quotes (and reference numbers), 'fore going much further imo..

Definitely keep reference numbers. There have been threads here before where someone gets a quote for a bike, buys the bike and when they go to insure it are told they cannot get insurance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lmpulse

just got a 2755 eur quote, man this is insane.

Slightly bigger than the 800 - 900 you thought it would be! Check what the other bikes are going to cost to insure, this will help you decide what to go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

LOL at the harsh dose of reality 8 pages in.

Get a quote for the 690 and 390 for a laugh.

• Advertisement

Idleater wrote: »
    LOL at the harsh dose of reality 8 pages in.

Get a quote for the 690 and 390 for a laugh.
    lol im speechless man think i'll pass on that.

lol im speechless man think i'll pass on that.

If it's any use, I drove a bros 400 and passed my test on an Enfield 65 ten years ago now, and drove a factory restricted sv 650 while serving my 2 years.
    Definitely recommend one. Even did a track day restricted :-)

man at this price I'm better off buying a car and insuring it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

man at this price I'm better off buying a car and insuring it.

That's because, as I've said before, the bikes you are looking at.... see the R at the end of the 250.... that alone raises the price of insurance hugely. You've been advised of more suitable and insurable bikes but you don't like them. Even going for a CB125 for a year to get a NCB would suit you, but you won't like the look of the bike.

That's because, as I've said before, the bikes you are looking at.... see the R at the end of the 250.... that alone raises the price of insurance hugely. You've been advised of more suitable and insurable bikes but you don't like them. Even going for a CB125 for a year to get a NCB would suit you, but you won't like the look of the bike.
    well i have the bandit 600(restricted ) and duke 390 in mind, i'll check for a quote on Friday. hopefully i get a reasonable one.

• Advertisement

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Slightly bigger than the 800 - 900 you thought it would be! Check what the other bikes are going to cost to insure, this will help you decide what to go for.
    i will do that, *finger crossed* i don't get any ridiculous price.

would you guys choose TPFT over comprehensive?

Depends on the bike.

Anything less than 50% of the original price is candidate for tpft. It comes down to your ability and desire to shell out yourself for anything you as opposed to a third party does to your bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was 3rd party for about 10 years, just changed to fully comp 2 years ago cos it was good value. Personally, I'd get something cheap, get 3rd party only and an Almax lock and chain. 2 years experience and 2 years older makes a massive difference in insurance premiums.
    Now you know why people start out on 125cc cruisers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Get a hack of a honda bros and learn the ropes and shoot the breeze. Take the hit on the insurance the 1st year, get some grade 2 assessments done and your insurance will tumble the 2nd year.

TBH, it seems you have a bee in the bonnet to get out and ride the biggest bike you can get your hands on. The only thing that seems to be stopping you getting a big cc bike is the money for insurance. Will you be able to ride a bandit 600 restricted or not?.....or a KTM 690? You can kill yourself on a 125cc if you run outta skillz.

Did the IBT instructor say you would be able to handle a bigger bike?

Not having a pop m8 just my 2cents.

Hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

At 18 i'd have thought you'd be learning on a moped tbh

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Get a hack of a honda bros and learn the ropes and shoot the breeze. Take the hit on the insurance the 1st year, get some grade 2 assessments done and your insurance will tumble the 2nd year.

TBH, it seems you have a bee in the bonnet to get out and ride the biggest bike you can get your hands on. The only thing that seems to be stopping you getting a big cc bike is the money for insurance. Will you be able to ride a bandit 600 restricted or not?.....or a KTM 690? You can kill yourself on a 125cc if you run outta skillz.

Did the IBT instructor say you would be able to handle a bigger bike?

Not having a pop m8 just my 2cents.

Hope you get sorted.
    You described me very accurately lol, thanks for the advice really appreciate it.

Wossack wrote: »
    At 18 i'd have thought you'd be learning on a moped tbh

Not in a million years will i ride a moped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

And I'm done..!

Insurance wise, I wouldn't go for 3rd Party only. I have heard of people with 3rd Party only on an old bike that got nicked, they ended up bikeless but still with a loan to pay off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Exactly. I know we all bitch but there is merit in being insured properly. I just had my bike nicked but i was properly insured, and even had my no claims bonus insured so i should not lose out too much at all. My premium should not increase (as long as I do not move companies) but it would rocket up if Idid have a claim...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You described me very accurately lol, thanks for the advice really appreciate it.

Wasnt having a pop, trying to help you thats all. No Big.....Sarcasism really doesnt suit you. But sure at 18 you are the big man thats bullet proof :rolleyes:

I have been reading this from the start and you are like a bee in a biscuit tin. Bouncing from one bad idea to the next......you aint gonna hear everything you want to hear on these forums.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Wasnt having a pop, trying to help you thats all. No Big.....Sarcasism really doesnt suit you. But sure at 18 you are the big man thats bullet proof :rolleyes:

I have been reading this from the start and you are like a bee in a biscuit tin. Bouncing from one bad idea to the next......you aint gonna hear everything you want to hear on these forums.

Didn't think he was being sarcastic.

I vaguely remember being 18 & I was like a bouncing bee too. Mind you, the bad ideas were usually driven by below the belt ;)

wasn't trying to be sarcastic really, but with all the things coming in at once i don't really know what i want hence me opening this thread.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Insurance wise, I wouldn't go for 3rd Party only. I have heard of people with 3rd Party only on an old bike that got nicked, they ended up bikeless but still with a loan to pay off.

i was kinda comparing the TPFT with the comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Shame you bought the gear, I could have sold you the gear, choice of helmets, a Kawasaki 1986, 454 model fitted with a 500 engine with chain drive, another bike for spares and a 3 bike car trailer ; all for 2,000 euros. A little old but runs a treat and a good comfortable cruiser which I think can be ridden by a learner.Reason for sale; old age (me not the bike).

Dai John wrote: »
    Shame you bought the gear, I could have sold you the gear, choice of helmets, a Kawasaki 1986, 454 model fitted with a 500 engine with chain drive, another bike for spares and a 3 bike car trailer ; all for 2,000 euros. A little old but runs a treat and a good comfortable cruiser which I think can be ridden by a learner.Reason for sale; old age (me not the bike).

i think it was kinda stupid of me to buy the gear without even starting with the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

i think it was kinda stupid of me to buy the gear without even starting with the insurance.
    All dressed up and nowhere to go.

Dai John wrote: »
    All dressed up and nowhere to go.
    nah man, i'll just do the insurance assessment thingy and take the hit from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

nah man, i'll just do the insurance assessment thingy and take the hit from there.

Have you even done IBT yet?

Advertisement